Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to tell the difference between coyote and wolf tracks?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to tell the difference between coyote and wolf tracks?

    How do you tell the difference between coyote and wolf tracks? I've been seeing lots of "Dog" tracks lately, but am having a hard time figuring out what is what. The only difference I personally see is size.

    For reference, thats a 13EE danner...
    Last edited by bgreen; 06-17-2007, 20:13.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

  • #2
    Thats a wolf track, and not fresh , coyote tracks are much smaller than that. Imagine about a 25-45lb dog's track and a 80-100 lb dogs tracks.

    Comment


    • #3
      difference between a big dog and a wolf? if any? are these near your home? if not you could just set a couple traps and find out.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah it could be a big dog but it sure looks like the front foot on a wolf. The rear center pad is almost a perfect triangle.

        Comment


        • #5
          Wolf: A female, weighing in at 63 lbs. Looks as though she had eaten within the previous 4 hours, but appears to be a little dehydrated, probably due to the water being frozen. Try calling around the nearest water faucet, because that is where she is headed, a little northwest of where you discovered her track.
          "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
          ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

          Comment


          • #6
            Definately a wolf track, that would be one monster coyote if it wasnt a wolf. A wolf track, to me, just looks like a monster coyote print. There is an easy way to tell the difference between a coyote, a domesticated dog, and a cat.

            The left pic would be a cat, the middle a coyote, the right would be a domesticated dog.
            Attached Files
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              depending on where you are seeing this sign it could be a large dog (that track looks old) or a wolf. Here is a pic of a wolf track about 4-5hrs old....
              Last edited by AKDSLDOG; 04-03-2007, 21:41.

              Comment


              • #8
                Great replies guys. Exactly what I needed to know.

                Now I just need to see one in person. I've hunted the Kenai off and on for 20 years now, and have yet to see the critters that leave all these tracks. I've never actually gone out and looked for them before this year though. With luck, and your help I'll have a couple of these guys hanging on my wall in short order.


                There was some pretty good sign around where I took that picture. Some fairly beaten down trails, and several places where it looked like something rooted around along the side of the trail. Not quite digging, but not just laying down and rolling around either. I've been seeing similar levels of sign on both sides of the Kenai River anywhere from Soldotna to Skilak, but no game yet.
                Last edited by bgreen; 06-17-2007, 20:13.
                The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

                Comment


                • #9
                  None of the above!

                  Folks,

                  I thought you guys knew something about wildlife. Anyone can clearly see that these are the hind prints of the dreaded chupacabra. Commonly found in remote areas of Alaska, the chupacabra has migrated in from Canada and was first sighted near the Delta barley project area. They had taken up residence there, feeding on rats and other small mammals that had colonized the windrows of timber pushed up to make the barley fields. They have since spread to southcentral Alaska, particluarly the Palmer-Wasilla area, where they actively feed on hoop snakes and whatnot.

                  Surely any Alaska outdoorsman would know this.

                  -Mike
                  Attached Files
                  Michael Strahan
                  Site Owner
                  Alaska Hunt Consultant
                  1 (907) 229-4501

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Check the collar for a name tag if you do get it. The owner might want to know what happened to Rover. :-)

                    Comment

                    Footer Adsense

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X