Airlines & Black Powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airlines & Black Powder

I've been a regular reader of these forums for a couple of years now and have learned alot from everyone's posts. I'm now anticipating my first hunt in Alaska, finally, and will be flying into Anchorage then Homer in May for a black bear hunt with a muzzleloader.

It looks like there's no way to travel with gunpowder (Triple Seven) so I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to get it to, or in, Homer.

Thanks

Save yourself the trouble

There is powder available in Anchorage and probably the Fred Meyers store in Homer. I would save myaelf the hastle of trying to bring it.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Black powder on the airlines- NOPE! Homer, AK?

Originally posted by Toucan View Post
      I've been a regular reader of these forums for a couple of years now and have learned alot from everyone's posts. I'm now anticipating my first hunt in Alaska, finally, and will be flying into Anchorage then Homer in May for a black bear hunt with a muzzleloader.

It looks like there's no way to travel with gunpowder (Triple Seven) so I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to get it to, or in, Homer.

Thanks
      Toucan,

Correctomundo on the black powder issue. If you try to bring it in your luggage, you could end up as a guest of whatever state you're departing for Alaska. You should have no trouble finding it in Anchorage. Homer... mmmm... I dunno. HomerDave might chime in on this- he lives down that way I think.

-Mike
      Michael Strahan
      Site Owner
      Alaska Hunt Consultant
      1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

You can buy say 20 45/120 cases and load them as ammo . As long as they are loaded and in a qualified container you can ship them in your luggage. All you need to do is unload them when you get to your camp. Just don't crimp the bullets and you should be alright. Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Toucan View Post

Thanks

Toucan

If you find yourself here in Homer give me a call if you need a can of Black powder .I do not have 777 but I do have Goex 1F,2F,3F .
          I do not have a muzzle loader but I do have a 45-120 ,45-70 that I load for .
          PM me if you need any.
          THERE IS NO FREDDYS IN HOMER !!!!!!!!!!!! and no plans to build one .BUMMER

RR
          Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
          Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. That's a great idea to load up some 45/120's for travelin purposes.

RR, thanks for the generous offer. I've tried Goex Cleanshot before but my gun didn't shoot well with it. I'll probably end up buying a can of 777 in Anchorage and then leaving it behind in Homer.

I was hoping there would be a little gun shop in Homer since we may even fly there as well.

The only other option would be to ship some loads in advance but even that isn't easy to do anymore.

Toucan

Comment

No prblem Toucan .
              We do have a couple small semi pawnshop gunshops !!!!!!
              No black powder or 777 that I know of here in Homer .
              I will be making trips to anchorage in the next couple weeks . If you decide to fly right into Homer I can pick up a can of 777 for ya if you want , if not no big deal ?? No problem .
              I go through powder pretty fast .

RR
              Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
              Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Comment

They sell Black Powder at the Gear shed on east end road in homer. Im pretty sure they sell tripple 7. Also Ulmers sells some powder and reloading components, But ive found a bigger selection of powders at the gearshed.

Comment

Thanks all.

Problem solved. Spoke to Charlie at Gear Shed and they carry 777. Thanks again for the info and offers to help me out.
                  Where I live, that kind of hospitality is more rare than an honest politician!

Comment

777 is not blackpowder and is authorized to ship as smokeless powder. Check it out on the side of your 777 container. I load up my 300 Ultra cases with a volume measured 100 gr. of 777, my muzzleloader charge, and slightly seat the bullets. At the destination I dump the 300 Ultra charges into my speed loaders.

Comment

Forgot to add to the previous post as I use a flintlock. Not sure what kind of ML you are using but caps are not allowed at all in your carry on or checked bags.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X