Trail Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Cam

Not a big techy guy, but have decided (after years without one) to get a trail cam this year. You guys have posted a lot of really neat pics in the past, and now I'm curious to see what the heck is going on at my stand when I, not there. I'm looking to spend around $200, and get one that uses SD cards. So tell me what you got and what you think! Thanks guys.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

trail cam

I use a wildview I got for 70 bucks in cabelas it uses sd cards a 4 d batteries takes great photos reason bought a cheap $70 one was because the bears like to chew on trail cams. Luckily nothing got mine, but my buddies who spent $150 and up got theirs smashed and chewed beyond repair
    Attached Files

Comment

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hp?albumid=469

Just the bear pictures are a few that are from last years trail cam, a Moultrie Gamespy. It was like 70 bucks also.I couldnt bring myself to spend 2-300 bucks on one that would potentially get eaten.So we bought cheep which took great pictures and as we learn more we may spend a little more.But we'll see how this season goes. Good Luck to you and your going to enjoy checking on the cam.

Comment

I've got a related question. I got a cam from Cabelas this winter and have been trying it out on elk in Washington. It has an infrared flash, cost about $170, pretty fun to use once you figure out how to aim it, etc. But why are the elk so curious about it, and what attracts them to it. They'll gather around it looking right at it from inches away, it's like they seek it out. Most of the shots are at night. I wonder if bears are attracted in the same way.
        Anyone have any ideas?
        Mark

Comment

Daniel,
          Thanks for the info, those are great pics, and I think I checked those out recently. What you got is what I need. Did it take night pics ( I use night very loosely!). Also thanks everyone else for your info.
          "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Comment

hey wags. They could be attracted to the light itself or possibly they here it making a noise, whatever the case there used to it now and they are curious,so I'd let em be. NOw as for the bear situation what my pard and I would do is,I'd go straight to the cam and change out cards and re adjust etc... and he would re-bait the site.Never had an issue with the bears until the one time on stand #2 when Mark actually worked on the cam while I explained to him how I set it up and we think his hands smelled sweet from baiting and of course it got on the cam and next time we showed up it was ripped off the tree.

We have bears also looking right at the cam etc...as even the flash was probably a factor in that.And HOYT... Even tho I had our cams set on infrared and flash we did not have them set-up for night use, as you well know how we have a lack of that come May-June.Our pictures that where at night wher enot bad either beacuse of the flash.Daniel

Comment

Couple Different Cameras

Here is an example of two different cameras. The first is a night shot from a Cuddyback No Flash IR. The second is a daytime shot from a much cheaper Bushnell.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
                hey wags. They could be attracted to the light itself or possibly they here it making a noise, whatever the case there used to it now and they are curious,so I'd let em be. NOw as for the bear situation what my pard and I would do is,I'd go straight to the cam and change out cards and re adjust etc... and he would re-bait the site.Never had an issue with the bears until the one time on stand #2 when Mark actually worked on the cam while I explained to him how I set it up and we think his hands smelled sweet from baiting and of course it got on the cam and next time we showed up it was ripped off the tree.

We have bears also looking right at the cam etc...as even the flash was probably a factor in that.And HOYT... Even tho I had our cams set on infrared and flash we did not have them set-up for night use, as you well know how we have a lack of that come May-June.Our pictures that where at night wher enot bad either beacuse of the flash.Daniel
                Daniel could you tell me what moultrie you have. Is it the game spy 4.0?

Comment

photos

Here are a few more from my wildview
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt View Post
                    Daniel could you tell me what moultrie you have. Is it the game spy 4.0?
                    Yep I do believe thats the one. Right now Sportsmans does not have any. When they get them in you better beat me to it, we need two more for ourselves And altho the shutter speed is not as fast as others as you can see here, it still takes wonderful pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by geoff156 View Post
                      I use a wildview I got for 70 bucks in cabelas it uses sd cards a 4 d batteries takes great photos reason bought a cheap $70 one was because the bears like to chew on trail cams. Luckily nothing got mine, but my buddies who spent $150 and up got theirs smashed and chewed beyond repair
                      I just bought a pair of these from cabelas ($60x2) and the pictures are great. And as said, it is no big deal if the bears eats them.

Comment

Night shots on the cam.

Comment

Nice pics guys. I'm going to order mine from Cabelas. Sportsmans never have anything I need. I get sick of walking in there to look at clothing in small sizes,and empty shelves.

Comment

Hoyt

I have a Moultrie 5.0 w/ built in view finder. Love it! Easy to use, great pics. $200 Cabela's shipping roughly $17.00
                            Good quality Cam!
                            Jess
                            Bait Em 907
                            Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
                            www.baitem907.com
                            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Comment

See if this works Wildlife view, This one trouble maker at my cabin. On a bait station they hang around a bit, so shutter speed no big deal.I would take the 200. and buy a couple cheaper ones. They still take good pictures. If trying to catch one on a trail as they pass though, Than a Cudde back, way to go there, The time the cheaper ones go off the critter already passed it.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by SusitnaAk; 04-24-2009, 18:23. Reason: More
                              Remember, Mother nature has no forgiveness for stupidity.
                              If you don't care where you are, your not lost

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X