00 buck or slugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 00 buck or slugs?

I plan to carry my 12 guage while walking into my bait station this year for protection as I plan to take a bear with my bow, was looking for advice as to wether I should load it with 00 buck or slugs for close encounter protection, what do you all think? Havent spent much time shooting shotguns for anything other than ducks.
    Thanks

Originally posted by geoff156 View Post
    I plan to carry my 12 guage while walking into my bait station this year for protection as I plan to take a bear with my bow, was looking for advice as to wether I should load it with 00 buck or slugs for close encounter protection, what do you all think? Havent spent much time shooting shotguns for anything other than ducks.
    Thanks
    Both, alternate loads. spray the face, slug the body, spray the face, slug the body.

Comment

Neither, carry a rifle.

I've read enough reports of actual use on bears to be disuaded from using a shotgun for bear defense. Plenty of great theories, but theories don't always hold in the real world.
      Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

If you are getting off four shots from a 12 guage while being charged you are most likely not being charged. The only suitable round for a 12ga to shoot a bear is a slug.
        Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Comment

Originally posted by AKDoug View Post
          If you are getting off four shots from a 12 guage while being charged you are most likely not being charged. The only suitable round for a 12ga to shoot a bear is a slug.
          What can I say, I am quicker than Doc Holiday.

I normally go with just slug loads, my pops is all about using both.

Comment

12 guage

this has been asked before and it seems there are lots of guys on here who dont think 00 buck will work. i guess the sow grizzly i killed at point blank range didnt read those posts! 3 pellets penetrated the skull killed her instantly. i shot a black bear with a slug worked as well as anything. i do know one old time brown bear guide in AK that packs a 12 gauge so you wont be alone. you will probably get some posts that will claim the 00 buck wont penetrate well enough.... just go out and test some at close range that will probably make you feel better. it wont penetrate like a big bore but its enough!

Comment

2 3/4" brenekee slugs

I tested several different slugs into a piece of wet oak, 3" remington and federals would not exit and the shorter brenekees sailed right through. Plus you won't have any spent shells get hung up upon ejection, where a 3" empty might, what would you want to trust.
              Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
              "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
              Μολών λαβέ

Comment

I agree with Paul H and AKDoug.

And the story goes like this...

On the last evening of a clients last day of a hunt he shot a bear in the upper left shoulder as it was sitting like a dog, facing directly toward him. The guide could not find the blood trail as it got dark, so they staggered back into camp at 1:00AM.

The next morning the client left, and the outfitter and four guides and a packer went out to find the wounded brown bear. Although blood was not visible, we spread out several yards apart and slowly entered a sea of alder brush, looking for boo boo bear.

In the middle of us was a packer who had brought a pistol grip 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 buck-shot as his packer-gun. While all of us had big guns, of course the packer walked directly into the wounded bear at 5 yards, or 15 feet. The bear was laying on his back with his legs toward the gun and his head away from the guns, and sat up. The packer shot the bear in the middle of the chest with two blasts of 00 buck. The bear was already feeling poorly from having his shoulder shot-up. Although it immediately layed back down on its back, and died.....the 00 buck-shot had only penetrated about 2 or 2 1/2 inches. It was frightening, seeing how poorly the 00 buck-shot had performed, from only 15 feet away. Think about it. That is one-half the distance of a football first down, five yards.

If you must take a shotgun, bring slugs.

I'll bring my "'ol hammer, big ugly", my old .338 guide gun.

...and the packer became an Alaskan State Trooper, a great one.

Dennis
                AK TAGS
                Imagine (It's easy if you try)
                …miles and miles of mountains…wide expanses of tundra...remote wild waters…
                (Whisper words of wisdom) Let It Be

Comment

Never shot a bear with a shotgun, but heard plenty of stories about buckshot being a marginal penetrator on deer at any range less than spitting range.

On the other hand, a load of 00 in the face of a charging bear might change it's mind even if it didn't penetrate the skull. As for the body, it might not have the penetration necessary.

Comment

Hell, a .22 to the eyeball would work However, I am a complete idiot psycho according to this board. I rarely carry a firearm while bowhunting..even while baiting.
                    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Comment

shotgun

Thanks for the input guys, think I will go with slugs. Hopefully I wont have to find out how good or bad they perform.

Comment

slugs....

The Brenneke "Black Magic" 600 grain slug. You want lots penetration and big hole, this slug is susposed to do that at "charge distances", say under 30'. Buck shot might work to blow one off the end of your bayonet.

Comment

A charging bear is using sight to come at you if a dose of 00 buck to the eyes at 20 feet doesn't blind him (he's too far away to be "charging") then you go to the slugs. My only DLP bear was shot in the face with 3" T shot and died 4 paces from me 1 shot and half his face was tore up really messy. You also need to make sure the shot is steel it penetrates better than lead at a short distance.
                          Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Comment

I'm bringing bear spray to the stand. I trust the scientific evidence that bear spray is better than a gun. JMO however.
                            Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Comment

drop um!

Originally posted by geoff156 View Post
                              Thanks

You will get lots of opinions and take mine for what it is worth.

I do a lot of float trips deep into Bear country and I carry a Mossenberg 12 ga mag strictly for bears. It is short and carry 5 + 1 and this is the way I do it. I don’t want to kill the bear most of the time so I pack the first round with 00 buck shot and the next 5 are the real deal fully loads with slugs. The reason is if I can turn the bear away eith a blast of buck shot great, if he still comes at me he is going to eat a lot of lead hard and fast.

One mans opinion!

Walt
                              Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
                              Kotzebue AK
                              33 miles north of the Arctic Circle
                              Your best bet in rafts and camps!
                              www.northwestalaska.com

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X