• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankie 2 Times
    replied
    A method to her madness!!!

Originally posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I have to hide my RW jacket from my wife. If she finds it she will wash it with a bucket load of detergant, bleech, and fabric softener. Then to make sure she has ruined my equipment as much as possible she will throw it in the dryer and turn the heat knob to INFERNO and let it cook for an hour and a half.
    Maybe she's just trying to get rid of the funk before she shrinks it down to her size.

Leave a comment:

• fnd1734
    replied
    re

Yeh, I wish I had an explanation... Washing, bleaching, then cooking in the dryer. But my wife never got ahold of mine though, I just hung them on a hanger. I will admit they were quite toasty when I did have them on, especially in June on a fishing trip.

Leave a comment:

• GreginAlaska
    replied
    Originally posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    "... she will throw it in the dryer and turn the heat knob to INFERNO and let it cook for an hour and a half.
    HA! That gave me a good chuckle.

Leave a comment:

• Water_Gremlin
    replied
    I have to hide my RW jacket from my wife. If she finds it she will wash it with a bucket load of detergant, bleech, and fabric softener. Then to make sure she has ruined my equipment as much as possible she will throw it in the dryer and turn the heat knob to INFERNO and let it cook for an hour and a half.

Leave a comment:

• ak257
    replied
    I agree they are way too hot if you're on the move, but I've never had them leak or get soaked through the material. My set has been through the washer several times without a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Frankie 2 Times
    replied
    Ambush Jacket

I purchased the ambush jacket and matching ants for a moose hunt this fall. The weather was too mld to really put it through a good test, but I will say this. The jacket is very warm. I wouldn't recommend it for sheep hunting or any other "physical" hunts. Its great for stand hunting. It doesn't breath very well. I got wet one day, not while wearing the jacket. After getting soaked, I took off most of my outer layers and put on the RW jacket. I warmed up nicely in a short period of time. But the inside of the jacket was like a walking sauna. Another down side is it does not compress or pack very well. I really like the RW products, you just need to apply them correctly.

Leave a comment:

• AKDoug
    replied
    Didn't happen with mine. I've washed them several times and have warn them in some pretty crappy weather since my moose hunt and they still haven't leaked. ???

Leave a comment:

• fnd1734
    replied
    Rivers West

No, I just hung them on a hanger to dry out from the first trip to the PWS trip. All I know is I'm glad I put them to the test before I wore the RW jackets up sheep hunting because we got pounded with rain and snow. The manager seemed surprised at Sportsmans when I returned them. I assured them we got wet, very wet in the jackets. The gladly exchanged the jackets

Leave a comment:

• Water_Gremlin
    replied
    Thats interesting, but I am sorry to hear about the bum deal. At any point in time were these jackets run through a washing machine? I am not saying it was your doing, but I am just curious if the washing machine will do that to these jackets.

The waterproof material has held up very well for me. On a few camping trips I went on we received steady downfall all day on a few of our trips. Each time I stood out in the rain all day fishing without any leaks. Thats just my experience though.

Leave a comment:

• fnd1734
    replied
    rivers west beware

Warning about the Rivers West... I bought two jackects this spring at the Sportsman Warehouse, one for me and one for my wife. I paid alot for the two jackets, but heard they were good jackets. I just want everyone to know this is only my experience with the Rivers West product. I used it on a fishing trip in June that had rain off and on for three days. The jacket seemed to shed the water and keep me dry in the cloud bursts, I thought great, nice jackets. The following week we were in the PW Sound and experienced a steady rain all day for the whole week. The jackets seemed to shed the waterpretty good and then at some point they just start soaking it up and seeping through the material (all over). This happened to my wife's and mine. The fabric/material soaked up the water and acted like a sponge leaving us totally wet for days. In fact, the last day out we actually took the jackets off and poked holes in a trash bags to keep us somwhat dry. Upon returning from the trip I returned the jackets to Sportsmans Warehouse (they were very easy to work with) In exchange, I got the Helly Hanson Impratechs' and they have been outstanding! I used mine on my sheep hunt and moose hunt this fall and performed great. Just be careful when buying & using Rivers West jackets, they may leave you wet...

Leave a comment:

• fnd1734
    replied
    rivers west beware

Warning about the Rivers West... I bought two jackects this spring at the Sportsman Warehouse, one for me and one for my wife. I paid alot for the two jackets, but heard they were good jackets. I just want everyone to know this is only my experience with the Rivers West product. I used it on a fishing trip in June that had rain off and on for three days. The jacket seemed to shed the water and keep me dry in the cloud bursts, I thought great, nice jackets. The following week we were in the PW Sound and experienced a steady rain all day for the whole week. The jackets seemed to shed the waterpretty good and then at some point they just start soaking it up and seeping through the material (all over). This happened to my wife's and mine. The fabric/material soaked up the water and acted like a sponge leaving us totally wet for days. In fact, the last day out we actually took the jackets off and poked holes in a trash bags to keep us somwhat dry. Upon returning from the trip I returned the jackets to Sportsmans Warehouse (they were very easy to work with) In exchange, I got the Helly Hanson Impratechs' and they have been outstanding! I used mine on my sheep hunt and moose hunt this fall and performed great. Just be careful when buying & using Rivers West jackets, they may leave you wet...

Leave a comment:

• GreginAlaska
    replied
    Originally posted by GreginAlaska View Post
    My wife bought a set of it this year. She was warm in it, sometimes too warm she said. She's heading back out to take another shot at caribou tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see what she says about it after this trip.
    Just talked to my wife on the cell phone, she is just ending her first day of caribou hunting around Lake Louise, she's really liking the Rivers West for the weather she is in right now.

Leave a comment:

• AK-HUNT
    replied
    stalker model

That's what I own. The other stuff wouldn't be very prudent for sheep hunting would it???? And again its way too hot for sheep or goat hunting or even moose depending how you hunt. Maybe late late season stuff or if you are not covering much ground. I have put a few miles on mine and its great stuff depending on how you hunt. Maybe I just overheat easily.

Leave a comment:

• HMT
    replied
    stalker model

If you are very active or just tend to overheat easily, you should probably look at the stalker series from River's West. They have A LOT of built in ventilation to solve this very issue. I have only worn the various products around a store, but the difference is noticeable even 15 minutes at a time in a much too warm environment (the store) as it is.

As soon as funds permit, the stalker series is the set I will buy and then I may get the ranger series at a later date for late season hunts.

Leave a comment:

• AK-HUNT
    replied
    rivers west vs. hh

If you are sheep hunting or any climbing/hiking hard hunting, take the hh. If you are not exerting quite so much the rivers west are nice. I have both and the rivers west is everything they say it is but I do alot of walking normally and its not made for that in my opinion. I take the hh and like I said I have both. Actually I am still trying out my marmot precip pants and like them alot though I don't think they will have a long lifespan.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X