Knik Area Bear Baiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knik Area Bear Baiting

Well hello all.. just wanted to start a thread on knik bears to keep up on how everything is doing for the area. Im putting my bait out tomorrow along with my game cam, so hopefully in the week following i will have some action and some pictures to post. IM interested to read on the first knik area bears. vance
    NRA life Member JVJ

Saw one

I saw one last week out their just to the east of friday creek. About treeline height.. It was a small bear maybe 5', I am going out this evening to put my barrel out and prepare my sight and plan to do some glassing. I'm planning on trying a new area out their that is a bugger to get to and logistacally it will be a challenge.
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Comment

Blask bears

If you don't want to feed Brown bears hang your bait in a tree at least 20 feet off to ground. After you get a Back bear hitting your baits put your bait in a can on the ground. This will keep most of the brown bears off your baits saving you lots of time and money.
      Good luck

Comment

Set mine up yesterday W. of Knik. It was 30 degrees @ 6 a.m. snow was soft & melting fast. I was wishing for 10-15 degrees! By late afternoon it was a "bear" getting around even w/ snow shoes, an empty pack & sled.

R.J. nailed it on the brownies, but I let them tear it up & then go back in on 4-5 May & starighten it out after they pass through looken for moose veil. It was nice to get out & get things prepped for things to come! You all have fun this weekend!

Comment

well, i got the bait out on friday. jims creek is still frozen and should be clear of ice in the near future.. ITS warm out so hopefully the baits will start getting hit hard... i will be returning on thursday the 23 to refill and check for activity.... how is everyone else doing. anyone checked their bait after the 15th opener???
          NRA life Member JVJ

Comment

Best of luck to ya.

Saw a few people transporting bear baiting supplies at Knik on Saturday. Personally, I spend a lot of time at Knik and don't see much bear activity on the 14A side of the river. Roughly, out of the 70 or so trips I make to Knik each year I could be in the wrong places at the wrong times though.
            sigpic

Comment

akprideinvegas

akpride you are not going to get anything! because im going to get them first!

Comment

Knik Bears

Put the bait out today although each years my bait doesn't get hit until around the 9th of May, will check it in a week and see what is going on. Good luck to all.

Comment

bait check

well i checked the bait yesterday after filling it a week ago and there was no sign of bear. topped off the barrel from the previous trip that did not fill it and hung out a bit. Only found some moose tracks in the are. I will be Going back next week before the opener to check the game cam and hopefully fill the barrel. Anyone else getting hits yet?
                  NRA life Member JVJ

Comment

Scat but no bear

I put my bait out on the 17th and just checked it today. Nothing at one of the sites but fresh scat at the other. I did glass one up high in an avalanche chute approx. 2500 feet elevation. Rebaited both sites with lots of bread, donuts and twinkies. I plan to check it again around Wednesday with the hopes of having one or two looking for something to eat.....

Comment

Plenty of bear on the 14A side! But you have to have an airboat or be a heck of a jet driver to get to them! There is no public access from Kinik River Road. We got one up there last year and if I am back come August the plan is to get 3 or 4 more! There used to be a lot of moose up there now it is mostly just the bears.
                      Originally posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
                      Best of luck to ya.

Saw a few people transporting bear baiting supplies at Knik on Saturday. Personally, I spend a lot of time at Knik and don't see much bear activity on the 14A side of the river. Roughly, out of the 70 or so trips I make to Knik each year I could be in the wrong places at the wrong times though.

Comment

Champ

Lujon
                        You need to get that Champ you wanted. Thengetting back there isn't so much trouble

Drew
                        Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Comment

stop TEMPTING ME!!! <grin> Luckly for the time being I am friends w/ the landowner at the end of KRR so I guess I can't technically use this as an excuse
                          Originally posted by Toddler View Post
                          Lujon
                          You need to get that Champ you wanted. Then getting back there isn't so much trouble

Drew

Comment

noaat

I checked my bait Sat, Nothing.. Hung up a bait ball and some more call lure and put a trashbag of donuts in the barrel.. It was pretty windy, Hope the wind carrys the scent and something finds it by next weekend..
                            Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Comment

LuJon - Once I get the Cub figured out, we can go up on the Knik side and land on gravel bars to chase bears. Of course...since you've already got access figured out, maybe I'll have to take hunt_ak or Alaska_Lanche instead.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X