New Alaskan Hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Alaskan Hunter

I am in the military and have lived in Alaska for a year and a half, so this year will be my first year hunting as a resident. I wanted to hunt spring bear, but I have no idea where to go. It seems like there are plenty of bears around our garbage cans on base, but you can't shoot those. I was hoping to go for brown bear because it is a once in a lifetime opportunity, but I wouldn't mind shooting a blackie (I heard that the meat is pretty darn good). I don't want to take anyone's "secret" spot or anything like that, but can someone point me in the right direction. At this point I was just going to pick a river in GMU 14 or GMU 16 and hike along it until I found a huntable spot. Thanks.

pm sent

PM sent. Check your box

Comment

Originally posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
      PM sent. Check your box

theres trouble...... Johnny probably put you in someones back yard for the fun of it...:eek:
      "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

Yeah, like my property in Unit 14. Bad, johnny, bad
        The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Comment

new hunter...solo anybody?

heffer21,

There has been several recent threads similar to this question of yours. If you review just the last two weeks you will find a bunch of information and advice.

one quick note....from Elmendorf air plane patch, rather than going north....I would advise going south.

...just my first thoughts...

Dennis
          Imagine (It's easy if you try)
          …miles and miles of mountains…wide expanses of tundra...remote wild waters…
          (Whisper words of wisdom) Let It Be

Comment

Originally posted by wldboar View Post
            he proably sent that pm from some one elses computer too...:rolleyes:
            "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

I think there are losts of places in 14 and 16 and 13 to hunt lots of game. do you bow hunt? If you need a hunting partner let me know

Comment

No Bow

I'm always looking for a hunting partner. With five kids it's hard to get the wife out with me. I haven't done any bow hunting in the past, besides messing around with my dad's compound bow when I was a kid.

Comment

No bear for you

Save your gas money on bear hunting and go see dr. for a vasectomy!

Comment

Originally posted by wldboar View Post
                    Hahahaha... i was gonna put him in your backyard within sight of your bedroom window, but I figured that if he saw something thru your window, he'd be so afraid, he'd never go hunting in Alaska again.... !

Comment

Originally posted by Vince View Post
                      theres trouble...... Johnny probably put you in someones back yard for the fun of it...:eek:
                      You know me all too well...

P.S. Can't wait to get on Curt's computer again...

Comment

Originally posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
                        Hahahaha... i was gonna put him in your backyard within sight of your bedroom window, but I figured that if he saw something thru your window, he'd be so afraid, he'd never go hunting in Alaska again.... !

Bite me Johnny......:eek: Yes, he would be scared, I will make sure your not over visting when he comes hunting.
                        The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Comment

How old?

Originally posted by Heffer21 View Post
                          I'm always looking for a hunting partner. With five kids it's hard to get the wife out with me. I haven't done any bow hunting in the past, besides messing around with my dad's compound bow when I was a kid.
                          How old are the kids? If you are looking for a hunting partner, it looks like you might have a few of them already on hand. I know in my case, I was going on hunting trips before I turned 1, but didn't actually take my first big animal until I was 11. It was a great learning experience for me to go along with the hunts when I was young. It was just a part of life for me and feels weird if I don't go hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by anchskier View Post
                            How old are the kids? If you are looking for a hunting partner, it looks like you might have a few of them already on hand. I know in my case, I was going on hunting trips before I turned 1, but didn't actually take my first big animal until I was 11. It was a great learning experience for me to go along with the hunts when I was young. It was just a part of life for me and feels weird if I don't go hunting.
                            with 5 kids in my house and 3 of hunting age... partners are not hard to come by.. but you know i sure have to carry a TON of gear...:rolleyes:

meet on face book here

Comment

Assistance

Heffer21,
                              Your initial thread question was a wee bit naive, perhaps. I do not see that we helped you very much. If your still looking for spring bear hunting information, shoot me a PM.
                              Dennis
                              Imagine (It's easy if you try)
                              …miles and miles of mountains…wide expanses of tundra...remote wild waters…
                              (Whisper words of wisdom) Let It Be

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X