Blackies are out in numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackies are out in numbers

Well, I have been getting the itch pretty bad. Work has been way too busy and we just got out of yet another excercise with 8 days of 12 hour shifts. I finally got a day off and decided to do some hiking. I have heard a few reports of blackie sightings and saw a few posts on here, but I was not prepared for what I found. I crossed the tracks of 3 different bears, one a sow and cub and then another larger set, and then at the end of the day found this guy. I hiked a total of about 6 miles round trip. I think next time I will head to a huntable area and take a bow or rifle.

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I think they would be sinking up to there butts in snow around here, and turning around for thier nests for another week.

Comment

S se

I haven't heard of one sighted yet here around Ketchikan or on Prince of Wales Island .... should be any time now. But it will be awhile before any 'numbers' are out.

The mainland to the east is still very deep in snow ....
      johnnie laird

Comment

Awesome shot huntn photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!!
        "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

ok and with that photo as inspiration, looks like ill spend my days off bear hunting till i get one.... good picture man!
          sigpic

Release Lake Trout

Comment

Originally posted by muskeg View Post
            I haven't heard of one sighted yet here around Ketchikan or on Prince of Wales Island .... should be any time now. But it will be awhile before any 'numbers' are out.

The mainland to the east is still very deep in snow ....
            My son and I were going to head up towards Neets today to do a little scouting, but the trip fell through. Maybe next week.
            Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

Comment

I just spotted what I thought was two bears, on the Mountain across Six-mile creek, However when I got the spotting scope on them they turned into two wolves. They have been there for about an hour. In 40 years of hunting Alaska I have never seen a bear in a tree, not once.
              "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

isn't that the little boar near the post gate?

Comment

Hopeck, try getting them out of the tree once they get up there.

Funny storys from when I was a kid. Talk about it in a book.

Them things can climb.

Comment

awesome shot. And not bad dude. Three bears in 6 miles.

Comment

POW Island

Originally posted by kingfisherktn View Post
                      My son and I were going to head up towards Neets today to do a little scouting, but the trip fell through. Maybe next week.
                      I am headed over to POW on Monday or Tuesday and wake up the cabin for my spring Bear hunter. I will be out and about ... I need to put up a little firewood and I think all the spur roads are still closed by snow ... probably be a skiff / beach wood detail ....

Something tells me I'll need snowshoes in that May 1st hunt !!!!!!!
                      johnnie laird

Comment

Originally posted by muskeg View Post
                        I am headed over to POW on Monday or Tuesday and wake up the cabin for my spring Bear hunter. I will be out and about ... I need to put up a little firewood and I think all the spur roads are still closed by snow ... probably be a skiff / beach wood detail ....

Something tells me I'll need snowshoes in that May 1st hunt !!!!!!!

More than likely, the snow came way down into Ward Cove last night.
                        Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

Comment

One bear in a tree I saw was from a chopper while doing bird tracking work. He was sprawled out in an eagle nest taking a siesta, till we flew over, and he lit out like a scalded cat. Great pic!

Comment

not a happy camper

He does not look happy that you found him. Did he make any noise? That is an awesome photo. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hopeak View Post
                              I just spotted what I thought was two bears, on the Mountain across Six-mile creek, However when I got the spotting scope on them they turned into two wolves. They have been there for about an hour. In 40 years of hunting Alaska I have never seen a bear in a tree, not once.
                              That was the second bear I have seen in a tree. This is the first one I photographed 2 1/2 years ago.

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X