Fish and Game's Mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish and Game's Mistake

So my brother was applying for fall permits last year only to be informed that he was not eligible for permits becaus he had failed to report one of his harvest tags. My brother appealed this because he was sure that he had mailed in each of his harvest tags. As a hunter that knows the severe consequences of not returning harvest tags, my brother always made sure that he had proptly returned the required information. He appealed F&G's decision to not allow him to apply for permits, but only to be let down again. The decision was final, he would not be able to apply for those coveted permit drawing tags like every other Alaskan hunter.
    A couple of weeks ago my brother recieved two letters and one phone call appogizing for a certain harvest report that was lost, but now it is found! Just in time for my brother to put in for permits too! Oh, wait - No, they were'nt in time. The potential for my brother to draw a coveted permit for 2006 was gone forever. Apologies are nice but Delta buffalo and TMA rams are nicer.
    I realize Fish and Game is comprised of a system that is fallable because it is run by humans. I do not wish to celebrate the fact that a mistake was made. I just want to know what can be done to rectify the situation.
    I thougt of Fish and Game allowing my brother to put in twice for tags for the upcoming year to make up for the year he lost, but this is probably not in their power.
    Does anyone have any advice on this? What recourse does one have when dealing with a soverign entity? (A letter to the editor excercising free speech my be the only option)

Try filing harvest reports online. At least you have a printable page saying you have filed your report. Bum deal!

Comment

Same here

I always do mine on-line for the printable sheets. I have had to send in multiple reports before because they claimed I didnt file. No more will this happen, I just stroll on down and let'em see the sheet.

Comment

Electronic reporting

Won't do anything to correct the past, but for future reporting, try using their online hunt reporting. ADF&G online reporting

I used it last year and it seemed to work pretty slick...and I think you get a confirmation page to print off or maybe a confirmation email sent to you.

If you don't want to do that, my only other suggestion would be to take your harvest report into an adf&g office, have them copy the report you're submitting and have them write "Received" along with the office location, signature, and date on the report copy for you to keep as a receipt. Then if problems ever arise, you have proof that the mistake wasn't made on your end.

Comment

I also file mine on-line, though in some cases that's not allowed. If you can't file on-line, you should drop them off in person and get a reciept. One of the front desk people at the Anch. office told me to NEVER mail them in, as that is the method most fraught with problems. I know that this doesn't help to rectify your brother's situation, but it might help in the future.

-Brian

Comment

Try contacting ADFG HQ

That was nicely said. No one was attempting to harm your brother, but harm happened anyway.

I recommend contacting the Director of ADF&G's Division of Wildlife Conservation, Matt Robus. Here is the address:

Alaska Department of Fish and Game
            Division of Wildlife Conservation
            P.O. Box 115526
            Juneau, AK 99811-5526
            (907) 465-4190 phone
            (907) 465-6142 fax

Explain the situation with a sincere letter. Suggest a remedy. The Division is constrained by law and regulation, so not everything is possible, but you will get a hearing, and I am sure they will seriously consider possibilities.

David

Originally posted by two timer View Post
            I realize Fish and Game is comprised of a system that is fallable because it is run by humans. I do not wish to celebrate the fact that a mistake was made. I just want to know what can be done to rectify the situation.
            I thougt of Fish and Game allowing my brother to put in twice for tags for the upcoming year to make up for the year he lost, but this is probably not in their power.
            Does anyone have any advice on this? What recourse does one have when dealing with a soverign entity? (A letter to the editor excercising free speech my be the only option)
            David M Johnson
            Anchorage, Alaska
            http://awildolivebranch.blogspot.com

Comment

After talking with some retired folks out here that didn't get any permits this year because they 'supposedly' didn't report last year, I have started sending in the reports priority mail with a tracking number. Maybe even with a return reciept in the future. I like to have proof when it comes to these kind of matters. Sorry to hear of your situation.

Comment

Harvest tickets

I used to work the front desk at Fish & Game and this was a big problem, apparently it still is. I hand deliver my cards now and get receipts. Keep those receipts in a safe place until you clear that regulatory year.
                www.provingtrailadventures.com

Comment

Hand deliver

It's the only way to go. A lot of permits are not able to be reported (unless unsuccessful) online. With my cow permit this year I had to turn in 5" of the lower jaw (probably wouldn't have been good to mail it in). The gal at the Palmer desk said bringing it in is the best way to do it and she made a copy of my completed drawing permit and my normal harvest tag for me to hang on to. She said Anchorage is notorious for "losing" permits and harvest tickets.

I'd be surprised if they let your brother apply for more than the normal number of permits next year even though it was their mistake....government rules you know.
                  AKmud
                  sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

Reminder?

The one year I forgot to send in a hunt report on a registration permit I got a reminder in the mail.

It wasn't nice, or pleasantly worded, but I appreciated the chance to make it right and get my report in.

Do they only do that for certain hunts? (Mine was a brand-new registration permit for an area that didn't require one the year before.) Or does a generic 'file it now or else' letter go to every hunter who doesn't file on time?

Comment

Sad it happened, but mistakes happen. It was nice of them to call. Move foward and not dwell on the past. There permits in Dec to fill out. Foucus and grab that lucky charm and pray to the hunting gods
                      Living the Alaskan Dream
                      Gary Keller
                      Anchorage, AK

Comment

two timer

Is post # 10 Gary Keller the Corrections Officer?

Comment

Originally posted by two timer View Post
                          Is post # 10 Gary Keller the Corrections Officer?
                          Yeppers, for now until I hit the lottery
                          Living the Alaskan Dream
                          Gary Keller
                          Anchorage, AK

Comment

post office

Maybe the post office workers are doing it to better their odds of drawing HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Comment

here's what i would do.....

go to the top. get a full report on what happened from the top. going straight to the top always work with state government, i would suggest emailing the dept commissioner and cc the division director and any other folks you have dealt with. if no response, document it (keep your sent emails), then go to the ombudsmen. all the information can be obtained from:
                              http://state.ak.us/

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X