X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .338 mag.
    replied
    good choice...

It may be 50 years old, but the .300 Win. Mag. and it's ballistic potential and reputation for accuracy out of a good rifle is very good. It is even better with todays "super premium bullets". So if you can find it in a rifle weight you can live with then do it. Don't forget the Leupold 2.5 X 8 scope.

Leave a comment:

• MOSSY49
    replied
    Where Kimbers are in Fairbanks

Look at Frontier Outfitters for Kimber rifles.

Leave a comment:

• LuJon
    replied
    Not sure about FBX but I am pretty sure that the fine folks at boondock S/G in ER have them.

For cheap mountain guns it is hard to beat the Tikka but they do not offer a true short action so going with the WSM cals you don't get the weight bennefit like you do with Kimbers. I still went that way because the bolt stroke is still shorter and the 270 wsm feeds like butter in the tikka.

Leave a comment:

• plentycoupe
    replied
    .338 federal?

How about the 338 federal for the mountain gun. The Montana M84 is very lightweight and the recoil of this round would be less than the bigger 300's.
    Ballistics are a little less but still have great energy if needed. Compares to the 7MM08 when shooting a 180-200grns.
    This is what I am thinking of getting.

When I here mountain gun I am like mentioned above. I here LIGHTWEIGHT.

Where do you buy the kimbers in AK. I am in Fairbanks and it is hard to find em.

Leave a comment:

• stevelyn
    replied
    I think they weight 7.5 lbs. without the scope.
    That's about what a Tikka T3 Lite weighs with a scope and sling.

Everyone who's hefts mine comments on what a great sheep rifle it'd be.

Leave a comment:

• LuJon
    replied
    Originally posted by 300hunter View Post
    ... how many times have you been frantically UNLOADING a gun?:eek:
    I can think of one occasion.... I think if someone were facing juve charges "minor in possession of a handgun" would go over a bit better than "minor in possession of a loaded handgun" when it came to sentencing. Lucky for me I'll never know on either account since the officer only searched the back of the pickup and missed the "toolbox" under the rear seat. I never did recover all 6 rounds that "fell" out of the pickup window while the brown shirt was interrogating my ex bro in law.
    Last edited by LuJon; 04-30-2009, 22:40.

Leave a comment:

• Dan in Alaska
    replied
    Originally posted by Akjaq View Post
    In the market for a good mountain rifle and was thinking about the Kimber Montana in 300 Win Mag........

Is the 300Win Mag too much horse power for a mountain rifle? I think they weight 7.5 lbs. without the scope.
    When I think "mountain" rifle, I think LIGHT. If you're a fan of the Kimber rifle, I would look at something lighter than their .300 Win Mag version. With a Montana in .260, 7-08 or .308, you'd be looking at something that weighs less than 7 pounds, all up, stuffed with ammo. Now THAT is a mountain rifle!

Leave a comment:

• 300hunter
    replied
    Kimber Montana blind magazine

If you are losing detachable mags you might consider saving the drinks for after the hunt. Or buy extras.
    Consider this... how many times have you been frantically UNLOADING a gun?:eek:

Leave a comment:

• Akjaq
    replied
    Went with the Montana 300 WM

Northriver----got your pm....I will be in the bush come monday for an extended stay with no phone access. I will try to remember to call you when I get back. Try this----get some Dye-chem (machinist layout fluid) paint the bolt with it and paint a couple of rounds also. Feed the rounds slowly and mark 12 oclock on the round as it enters the chamber (this will be your referance). Any rough area will rub the Dye-chem off of the bolt and any rough area in the action will rub the Dye-chem off of the bullet. This will show you exactly where the problem is. If its something simple its not worth sending the rifle in for repair. It may be the magazine or a burr or something.

On another note!!!!
    Picked up the Montana 300wm today and cant wait to shoot it. I did a ton of research on this and what I kept hearing from different people in different places was that Kimber did have a problem with the first ones but they have since worked the kinks out of there manufacturing proccess. Kind of like when Dodge first came out with the 6.7liter and all the problems they had with the exhaust and all the different flashes to fix the problem. Well....my 2008 3500 6.7 liter Cummins Megacab runs like a dream and gets 20mpg on the highway with nothing behind it and 14mpg pulling 16000+. Every "new" thing is gonna have bugs. But with all that said you can still get lemons so I am PRAYING my new 300wm will shoot!

Leave a comment:

• northriver21
    replied
    Originally posted by Akjaq View Post
    ..Ive got a Kimber Talkeetna 375HH and it really got me hooked on the 8400 series rifles.....the Talkeetna just makes holes a little bigger than .375 @100yrds.
    AKjaq,

I sent you a PM about the Talkeetna. Did you get it? I need a liitle info/advice if you have the time.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Smitty of the North
    replied
    Originally posted by Alpine View Post
    I've got the 84M Montana in 7mm-08. It is a great mountain gun. Easy to pack or carry, accurate, and I love the blind mag. A floor plate is nothing but trouble; noisy, cold on the hand and ugly. Unloading my rifle is a 20 second job. The 84M feels significantly lighter than the 8400 to me.

Alpine
    I agree. The floor plate is unnecessary, and of no concern, especially with a rifle that has a 3 position safety for unloading.

A 7mm-08 can make make for a genuine light weight combination, with adequate power for most situations. Here in the Greatland, I'd use the heavier bullets, though.

Smitty of the North

Leave a comment:

• Smitty of the North
    replied
    Originally posted by knikhunter View Post
    A lot of malarky has grown up around the Kimbers and WSM's. Some of the very early rifles of all makes had some feeding problems but a little more attention to the feed ramps and rails cured the problems. If you have a dislike for the wizzums, that is a personal thing and move on. I think they make a lot of sense in that you get "magnum" performance in a lighter, shorted rifle. having said that, there is nothing wrong with the 300 Win Mag either. You just have to realize its a bit longer, (3.25") in the Kimber Montana line. Its also 10 oz. heavier in the older 300WM.
    I believe that when we look back after 20 odd years, the WSM's will be around and the other short/fats - a collectors item.

You talked about a "mountain rifle". I don't see where you need the magnum power. Why not consider the Kimber Montana in a .270Win or a 30-06? Both have 24" barrels. My 06 Montana delivers 2840fps with a 180gr Partition, chronographed many times. That is knocking on the door of the 300's. My .270 Montana is exceptionally accurate, shooting cloverleafs with bullet weights from 130gr - 160gr.. However, why not consider something lighter yet? The .308 Montana is 5# 2oz. out of the box. Mine comes in a 6#'s even with a 2.5-8 Leupie on it. Ditto for the 7mm-08. Anyway, good luck with your decision, just don't let some of the negative talk over the Kimbers dissuade you. They have a lot of custom rifle features for the money.
    Iíve not owned one of the WSMs, but I have followed the reports on the various forums, and the Short Magnum Website, that IIRC, no longer exists.

I donít consider the problems people report about with the WSMs in ALL types of rifles to be malarkey. Iím sure they are real problems.

Those short fat cartridges donít feed as well, certainly itís harder to get them to feed correctly, than a longer one. There are numerous such reports. Also, many instances of High Pressure with Factory Loads. Apparently, it can also be difficult to size the cases, probably due to the heavy brass, and the design of the case. ???

As for the perceived advantages of the WSMs, how much are they really worth?

The actions are a tiny bit shorter, and the barrels are shorter, and they are loaded to a higher Pressure Max. Thatís the so-called ďMagnum Performance, in a Shorter Lighter PackageĒ

I think if I felt I needed the power of a 300 WSM, Iíd go with the LONG one. I could always cut off the barrel, and load it as hot as the WSM, and it would feed correctly, and Iíd have no problems with Factory Loads, or Handloading it.

I realize that probably the majority donít have any big issues with the WSMs, and that by now, the problems could have been rectified to a large extent. Still, Iíd rather not take the chance on something that to me, offers little, if any, real advantage.

Smitty of the North

Leave a comment:

• Alpine
    replied
    I've got the 84M Montana in 7mm-08. It is a great mountain gun. Easy to pack or carry, accurate, and I love the blind mag. A floor plate is nothing but trouble; noisy, cold on the hand and ugly. Unloading my rifle is a 20 second job. The 84M feels significantly lighter than the 8400 to me.

Alpine

Leave a comment:

• knikhunter
    replied
    Don't worry, be happpy.

A lot of malarky has grown up around the Kimbers and WSM's. Some of the very early rifles of all makes had some feeding problems but a little more attention to the feed ramps and rails cured the problems. If you have a dislike for the wizzums, that is a personal thing and move on. I think they make a lot of sense in that you get "magnum" performance in a lighter, shorted rifle. having said that, there is nothing wrong with the 300 Win Mag either. You just have to realize its a bit longer, (3.25") in the Kimber Montana line. Its also 10 oz. heavier in the older 300WM.
    I believe that when we look back after 20 odd years, the WSM's will be around and the other short/fats - a collectors item.

You talked about a "mountain rifle". I don't see where you need the magnum power. Why not consider the Kimber Montana in a .270Win or a 30-06? Both have 24" barrels. My 06 Montana delivers 2840fps with a 180gr Partition, chronographed many times. That is knocking on the door of the 300's. My .270 Montana is exceptionally accurate, shooting cloverleafs with bullet weights from 130gr - 160gr.. However, why not consider something lighter yet? The .308 Montana is 5# 2oz. out of the box. Mine comes in a 6#'s even with a 2.5-8 Leupie on it. Ditto for the 7mm-08. Anyway, good luck with your decision, just don't let some of the negative talk over the Kimbers dissuade you. They have a lot of custom rifle features for the money.

Leave a comment:

• Thumpem'
    replied
    I agree

I'll have to agree on the Sako. Although none of the rifles mentioned are bad ones yet I'm not a big fan of the short mag. I have a friend who is the owner of a Kimber Montana and wouldn't trade it for anything. I will say that out of the different guns that I have I wouldn't give my Remington 30-06 up. Not that itís a better gun than the ones mentioned. It's heavier and might be outlived by other rifles of different brands/calibers. I just like the 06 because it shoots accurately and I am comfortable with it. Test em out and get the one that feels like it fits you. Any rifle is only as good as the owner taking care of it.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X