Mountain Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Rifle

In the market for a good mountain rifle and was thinking about the Kimber Montana in 300 Win Mag.....Ive got a Kimber Talkeetna 375HH and it really got me hooked on the 8400 series rifles.....the Talkeetna just makes holes a little bigger than .375 @100yrds. Is the 300Win Mag too much horse power for a mountain rifle? I think they weight 7.5 lbs. without the scope. I dont have much experience with that cartridge but know they are good long distance shooters. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    In the Bush

Reconsider

While I'm not a big fan of the WSM series of calibers; IF that's what you want I would consider another brand of rifle,

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=52060

Comment

Mountain rifle

I am not familiar with the Kimber rifle but I sure like the 300 Win Mag. I have one in an old Remington 700 BDL and it is my all time favorite. I use 180 grain Nosler partition and have shot antelope to moose. Confidence is a big factor when shooting also as is being familiar with your gun. Good luck in your decision. Mark

Comment

300 Win Mag, not WSM

I also dont like the "short mags" because of feeding problems...I was thinking of the full lenght 300 Win Mag. in Kimber Montana. Need all the pros and cons please...could be moving to the bush soon and want something dialed in before I go
        In the Bush

Comment

unknown

Not well versed on Kimbers newer rifles, heard some good and bad. Is this going to be your only rifle?
          For mountain, I mean?

Comment

Yes

I was thinking about the Montana 300 Win Mag above timberline where long shots are possible and I'll use my Talkeetna 375HH bellow timberline.
            In the Bush

Comment

I hold much reverence for the 300 WM and own 2. They are accurate and powerful. Ammunition is pretty much available in most places. they do make a harsh little rifle to hold onto at mountain weights though.

Comment

Have you looked at the Tika T3 Lite. I have the stainless model in 300 WM with Leoupold VX-1 4x12 and total weight is 7.25 pounds.

Comment

Any Ideas

Doesnt have to be a 300WM I just like toet'n all the power I can and still shoot accurately. recoil has never really been an issue with me.
                  In the Bush

Comment

Me TOO

Originally posted by akflyfisher View Post
                    Have you looked at the Tika T3 Lite. I have the stainless model in 300 WM with Leoupold VX-1 4x12 and total weight is 7.25 pounds.
                    I have one also in 30-06 with a 3x9 on it and it's a great firearm at a resonable price.

Comment

My friend bought a kimber montana 300 wsm. I like the feel of the gun, it is light, has controlled round feed, I think it is a good gun. The one thing I didn't like about it was it had no floor plate, so to unload you have to jack your shells out with the bolt. I bought a Browning A-bolt in .270, and I really like this gun. It is a little cheaper than the Kimber, but I would encourage you to take a look at it also.
                      Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Comment

I have one in .325wsm. I love it. All else being equal cases with big shoulders don't feed as well as straight cases, but that's relative. If you aren't a fan of wsm then get a Kimber chambered in something else. For a factory rifle it's hard to find a better built or liter rifle. Unless you want to throw down for a Bansner or other custom mountain rifle Kimbers are the way to go.

Comment

wsm

Thats weird, the Kimbers have no floor plate and the tikkas have an ejectable magazine you can lose so go figure. I would go for a wsm in a mountain rifle. They are much lighter rounds to carry than traditional magnums and use less powder and everything. The short, light cases are cool. Shoot fast and hit hard. They seem to recoil less to me and I have never had the case capacity problems reloading some have shooting up to 220 grain in my 300. I have never heard of or experienced feeding problems in a wsm so thats new to me....
                          I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Comment

Kimber in 300 WM should be fine for a mountain rifle - I don't care for the 26" barrel but do prefer the blind mag. I like my mountain rifles to weigh between 6.5 and 7.5 lbs (rifle, scope, full mag, and sling). I would recommend a Leupold 3 x 9 Ultra Light or the 2.5 x 8 scope. Due to the lack of cover, all the glassing, and sometimes long "approaches" bears are a common occurrence so it is sometimes comforting to be toting a 300 WM not to mention the rather flat trajectory with a wind bucking 180 gr bullet. Just one sheep hunters thoughts - there are many other variations. Good luck on your hunt.
                            "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Comment

I love my A-bolt mountain TI. its light, durable and shoots precisely. put a good piece of glass on it and youre set. detachable magazine is a plus i think. i keep a heavy load in one magazine in the rifle while walking for bear protection or whatnot, then the lighter bullets for sheep or whatever load i need. http://www.browning.com/products/cat...35&type_id=038

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X