4 year old blackie = average?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 year old blackie = average?

Just curious, I am happy with my bear taken on POW - it was about 18.6" and 4 years old. Is that a young, middle aged or older boar? I am guessing middle aged.

I think I remember seeing they can live to 15 or 20 years in the wild. My understanding is that 20 is VERY old though.

Comment

Young bear, the males start breading between 3 and 4, so he had just reached breading age.

Steve
      "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

He was getting realy for his prime of life and old enough to know better about getting shot. Good eating age
        Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

these guys are right

four years old is a young bear as far as a bears lifespan but i'd say a four year old with an 18 inch skull that squares 5 foot 6 inches to 5 foot 10 inches weighing +- 200lbs is the average bear killed in this state
          "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Comment

Thanks that is roughly what I tought too. My first bear, I will be back though!

Comment

Why's he gotta be a "blackie"?!

Taylor

Comment

I've hunted POW twice. I shot a 6'9" that was 5, and a 7 footer that was 8. My buddies shot bears that were 3,4, and 7.

Comment

POW

pow produces larger bears one average for age and larger skulls on average too ....also lots of the bear down there have brown underfur and tend to rub, leaving brown spots in various locations...typiclally on their foreheads and legs...
                  "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Comment

I would class it as an average black bear.
                    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Comment

Young

Don .... I would call that a young Bear .... we have taken many Bear in their teens.

The oldest Bear we have taken is this Sow that was almost 19" on the skull (which is not common for a Sow) and aged in the mid twenties ... We all thought it was a Boar.

johnnie laird

Comment

POW jug heads

One thing to remember is that on the average Prince of Wales Bear are 1 to 1 1/2 inch larger skulls than other Black Bear of the same age class.
                        johnnie laird

Comment

Wow. Very nice bear.

Taylor

Comment

Sow claws

yea ... she had some long claws going on ....

and long hair ....

Down here on POW Island it's common for Sows and young Boar to have longer silkier hair than Old scruffy / scarred up Boars.
                            johnnie laird

Comment

Telling sex of a black bear?

Now i was just looking at the pic below of that sow. Do you judge black bears the same way you do Brownies? Squared off nose and general sizing? I am going to start hunting them this year and just figured i would ask since the topic is on black bears.. Thanks

David

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X