Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camping In Brown Bear Country

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Camping In Brown Bear Country

    I just spent the last twenty minutes reading the 270 for Hunting Brown Bear thread and it got me thinking. Where do you guys stay the night when Brown or Grizzly Bear hunting? Are you spending the night out on a boat? Are you staying in a drop camp? I assume that you are not day hunting out of a lodge or town. I watched a show on the Outdoor Channel where they stayed in a drop camp while hunting interior grizzly bears and had their camp raided twice by black bears. I can't imagine the carnage that a Brown or Grizzly could do. I was camped in Michigans UP at a State Park on my way to my first black bear hunt this past September and woke up in the morning to find bear tracks within ten feet of my tent.:eek: Maybe my snoring kept the bear away! Have any of you Brown and Grizzly hunters ever had one in your camp at night or raid your camp during the day? Just curious. Thanks guys.

  • #2
    Unless Im at my main camp, I sleep in an open sided tent if possible (Tarp/stik thing...) anyhoo I piss all around my camp, cook about 50 feet from my tent near my Meats and grub box....I also keep a dog loose and a rifle ready, and I sleep comfortable like....

    Ive never had a Bear be a direct prolem, though they have passed by in the night, it was never up close or threatening.

    Have fun.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

    Comment


    • #3
      Keeping a clean camp and using common sense is #1.



      Check out the electric fence by www.udap.com

      I got one for our yearly Alaska float trips.

      4 lbs, runs on two D batteries, and packs to the size of a 2L soda bottle.

      Here are a few pictures from this past Sept in NW Alaska. Very special place








      The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

      Comment


      • #4
        Very nice set up.

        Comment


        • #5
          Bears have a very keen sense of smell(just look at the size of their olfactory canal) and they prefer USDA raised non Alaskans. They can distinguish those that were not born and raised up here, from the locals. Me, I was born and raised here and sleep well at night when in the field. Seriously, if you keep a clean camp and use the gray matter between your ears, you will be fine 99+% of the time. Use an electric fence if you are so inclined. They seem to be the ticket, especially on float trips when you have that big rubber "chew toy" taking you down the river. Chances are the bugs will give you more problems than anything with four legs.
          sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

          Comment


          • #6
            If you are concerned use the electric fence as mentioned above. I finally caved & used one for the first time last year, but that was for the base camp that we left for days @ a time & no trees around???. Normally it is me, the nylon fabric, gun, EAR PLUGS, & my dog or hunting partner. The ear plugs are for the rain, things that go bump in the night, & the snoring SOB next to me. I have herd bears in the night, smelled them, & even had foot prints up close to the front door. I normally just yell out, " Hey Bear" a few times & roll back over & go to sleep. My dog or worried partner usually insures I have a good nights sleep. Pay back for snoring most of the night. Never had my stuff destroyed while away or @ the tent, but I could just be lucky?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Sportdog View Post
              I just spent the last twenty minutes reading the 270 for Hunting Brown Bear thread and it got me thinking. Where do you guys stay the night when Brown or Grizzly Bear hunting? Are you spending the night out on a boat? Are you staying in a drop camp? I assume that you are not day hunting out of a lodge or town. I watched a show on the Outdoor Channel where they stayed in a drop camp while hunting interior grizzly bears and had their camp raided twice by black bears. I can't imagine the carnage that a Brown or Grizzly could do. I was camped in Michigans UP at a State Park on my way to my first black bear hunt this past September and woke up in the morning to find bear tracks within ten feet of my tent.:eek: Maybe my snoring kept the bear away! Have any of you Brown and Grizzly hunters ever had one in your camp at night or raid your camp during the day? Just curious. Thanks guys.

              well in all reality ....



              IT IS ALL brown bear/ grizz / blackie country.. you have a greater chance seeing one down town Anchorage then you do out in the bush..

              the bears wander past us at home and in tents all the time...the one thing i will not do is camp with my girls or wife during THAT time of the month... growing up on the farm, i seen what the studs and uncut boars, rams, etc did when the girls feed during their periods.

              and still i am more worried about blackies then grizz any day.
              "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

              meet on face book here

              Comment


              • #8
                The electric fence was a great piece of mine for me on Kodiak. Didn't have a single issue with bears and we broke all the clean camp rules because of some downright crappy weather.
                Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

                Comment


                • #9
                  gun is close....

                  I spend most of my nights in the bush in a big 12'x17' wall tent on a cot with a wood stove. A rifle leans against my cot. We will eat and cook in the tent if the weather is lousy. A remote controlled LED light hangs in a tree like a yard light and a small LED light turned on low is in the tent. Spring bear hunts are spent on the boat and we will sleep on it this fall for the Koykuk moose hunt. When I was younger I spent nights in a small nylon tent or my old L.L. Bean nylon lean-to that was open on the front and screened. It is similar in design to the old Whelan lean to. I really liked that set up. I am not very fond of the small nylon tents because there is no room in them. I know they are a needed and required item for most of the young, strong back packing hunters that roam Alaska every year. I used to be one of them and wish I could still do it like I used to. I also used to make a lean-to or A-frame out of tarps and sleep under it. Some times we just rolled the dice and slept out on the ground because we were to tired and lazy to put up the tent. That was ok except when the rain or bugs came. Never had a bear problem though I am sure they have passed close during the day and night. The more used to people they are the bigger the problem they are. I think the electric bear fence is a good idea and my wife has told me to get one. By the time a guy stuffs everything in a back pack he thinks he needs the weight adds up.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    WHENEVER possible, I carry a plastic bottle of Pine-Sol. Sprinkle it around camp and the pots clanking in the night are a thing of the past. No more bite marks on the boat. Learned from an elder in Naknek. They hate the smell. (ziplock the bottle or you may hate it too!)
                    I used to pee around camp until one fall. Hiking in we passed a tree w/ claw marks 8-10' above the ground. Old Pedro pissed on the tree, thinking we are letting him know we are in country. 30 minutes down the trail we heard the God awfullest roar from that direction. All we talked about around the fire that night was how we really ticked that bear off and wondered when he was coming to camp.
                    Live life and love it
                    Love life and live it

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i guess i'm just askin' for it....but....

                      i keep my food in my tent, cook in my tent, sleep in my tent, no electric fence and in 11 years of guiding, i've never had a bear touch my tent, had them walk right up against it and not stop, even when i've been gone for several days at at time they haven't touched it.
                      only takes one bear to ruin your trip though....
                      Www.blackriverhunting.com
                      Master guide 212

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
                        i guess i'm just askin' for it....but....

                        i keep my food in my tent, cook in my tent, sleep in my tent, no electric fence and in 11 years of guiding, i've never had a bear touch my tent, had them walk right up against it and not stop, even when i've been gone for several days at at time they haven't touched it.
                        only takes one bear to ruin your trip though....
                        only bare that ruins my trips is my buddy bare in the creek... dam we Alaskan are WHITE!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hate seeing where that gy needs to loose those 50lbs from....
                        "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

                        meet on face book here

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
                          i guess i'm just askin' for it....but....

                          i keep my food in my tent, cook in my tent, sleep in my tent, no electric fence and in 11 years of guiding, i've never had a bear touch my tent, had them walk right up against it and not stop, even when i've been gone for several days at at time they haven't touched it.
                          only takes one bear to ruin your trip though....

                          A lot of the same here.
                          Never had problems with the bears bothering the tent.
                          But have had them take some ribs and a head from camp.
                          We followed the tracks till we saw little paw prints then we got out of the brush.
                          Grandma always told us to respect them and they will respect you.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Badriverman View Post
                            But have had them take some ribs and a head from camp.
                            We followed the tracks till we saw little paw prints then we got out of the brush.
                            I am impressed. Not too many guys would still be in the mood for a hunt after a bear worked them over like that.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Greenhead View Post
                              I am impressed. Not too many guys would still be in the mood for a hunt after a bear worked them over like that.
                              Good one
                              Was moose ribs and head.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X