Finally got my ox!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got my ox!

As most of the people in Bethel were asking... I caught my musk ox. After three delays (2 weather and 1 volcano), I finally made it to Mekoryuk on the 24th. We got in at 5pm and didn't waste any time. We headed south west and found a herd after about an hour and a half. It took a couple of try's to get in on the herd, but finally the bulls turned to face me and let me work into position to get a clear shot. I really had a hard time deciding which one to shoot, but the guy I took looked a lot thicker in the horns and body wise was a bit larger. His horns had more dark color to them as well. Abe said this is an indication that it was the older bull, and he got a good look at the other bull and said I made the right choice. Both were big bulls and I would have been happy with either.

One shot with the Mathews right behind the shoulder and the bull fell over in less than 10 seconds. About 30 seconds of huffing and he was done. The other bull wouldn't leave, so we had to convince him it was time to go. I finished up skinning and quartering the bull by around 11:30pm, and we headed back to Abe's in the dark. By 1:30am I had him de-boned and was all packed up and ready for the morning flight back to Bethel. Total time from Fairbanks to Mekoryuk and back was 36 hours.

Anyhow, here are the pictures...

A few more pictures...

Comment

Great story and pictures I was wondering if that hunt was going to come together. Are you going to have it mounted?
      If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
      Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

No time soon, I'm about to take the hide off the skull now actually. I'll roll it up and put it in the freezer until I can get the coin saved up for the taxidermy bill.

Comment

Great Bow Kill!

Great Bow Kill!
          Marc Theiler

Comment

Sweet! Nice pixs.
            Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Comment

great pics and congrats on the nice OX

Comment

Cool!

Great! Really hoping to draw next year! Very cool!

Comment

Nice one, sounds like a pretty efficient hunt.

Comment

Question

How long a flight is it from Bethel to Mekoryuk? Sure seems like an interesting hunt! Congrats!

Comment

Well done ole chap
                      Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Who you catch it with???

A transporter or a guide? from the sounds of it, maybe a transporter eh?

Comment

Glad all went well after you finally got out of anchorage. Great pictures and how long did it take for the other bull to leave.

Comment

Congratulations...

Nice pictures and good looking Ox. Does'nt look all that cold there from here. How was the temps? How far a hike? Great pics and congrats again. Nice!!!

Comment

Nice Jerod! I bet that was fun butchering in the dark. I was wondering if you got one.

Did you hit the shoulder?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X