Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Master guide or Master crook?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Master guide or Master crook?

    DILLINGHAM
    Wednesday, Feb. 4
    — Robert “Rocky” Morgan pleaded to consolidated charges arising out of numerous big game guide violations committed by R. Morgan in Game Management Unit 17. R. Morgan, a licensed master guide, directed a spring 2007 client to kill a brown bear cub aged one year and four months. Blaine Morgan, a booking agent for R. Morgan, pleaded to a charge of unlawfully possessing the brown bear cub at base camp after the hunt. After a continuing investigation by Alaska Wildlife Troopers, it was determined that R. Morgan failed to meet several hunting clients and two guides assisting with his hunts in the field as required. R. Morgan failed to submit hunt records for several clients. R. Morgan was sentenced in the Dillingham Court to $10,000 in fines with $10,000 suspended, 10 days in jail with 10 days suspended, and a revocation of his guide license for five years. R. Morgan was placed on probation for 10 years with the condition that he not apply for a guide or transporter license during his 10-year probation. Blaine Morgan was sentenced to $500 fine with $500 suspended and probation for five years with the condition that he not apply for a guide or transporter license during his five-year probation

    What a joke-all fines and jail time suspended?

  • #2
    Ya thats how they do stuff...looks like maybe an area on kodiak will be opening up....lol
    i've never heard good things about those guys.....its nice to see them getting just deserts...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

    Comment


    • #3
      I wonder what the client was thinking behind his rifle when he was about to pull the trigger on a $10k+ brown bear cub?! Hopefully B&C records thoughts weren't buzzing his brain!

      Comment


      • #4
        Yep-I get a chuckle out of that scenario. Some guy plunked down 12k and his "Master Guide" tells him to shoot that bear, they walk up and see a oversized raccoon laying there...hehehehehe

        How do you trump that one up to be a 10 footer?

        I see the booking agent web page is still up and running hmm..........I'd be trying to seperate if I was allowing this guy to book for me. Buyer beware.

        KK

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
          Yep-I get a chuckle out of that scenario. Some guy plunked down 12k and his "Master Guide" tells him to shoot that bear, they walk up and see a oversized raccoon laying there...hehehehehe

          How do you trump that one up to be a 10 footer?

          I see the booking agent web page is still up and running hmm..........I'd be trying to seperate if I was allowing this guy to book for me. Buyer beware.

          KK
          Metric system clients....:cool:
          "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

          meet on face book here

          Comment


          • #6
            just like they do it in russia...measure diaganol and add it together!
            Www.blackriverhunting.com
            Master guide 212

            Comment


            • #7
              Why you so hard on em?

              I bet none of you ever thought that just maybe the guy was doing some interior decorating and wanted guuci toilet seat covers!
              Mike

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
                Yep-I get a chuckle out of that scenario. Some guy plunked down 12k and his "Master Guide" tells him to shoot that bear, they walk up and see a oversized raccoon laying there...hehehehehe

                How do you trump that one up to be a 10 footer?

                I see the booking agent web page is still up and running hmm..........I'd be trying to seperate if I was allowing this guy to book for me. Buyer beware.

                KK
                "Chuckle"? Guess we all have different prospectives. However, from mine, nothing in the harvesting of an illegal yearling brown bear or the loss of the experience of being on a brown bear hunt that was rewarding both from the standpoint of harvesting a good bear and/or just having a good experience is something to "chuckle" about.
                Joe (Ak)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by wantj43 View Post
                  "Chuckle"? Guess we all have different prospectives. However, from mine, nothing in the harvesting of an illegal yearling brown bear or the loss of the experience of being on a brown bear hunt that was rewarding both from the standpoint of harvesting a good bear and/or just having a good experience is something to "chuckle" about.
                  Joe (Ak)
                  I chuckle imagining the scenario of some guy looking at a cub-thinking hmm..that don't look like the bears on the website-but if my "Master Guide" says so it must be..boom. I chuckle because it kind of makes a joke out of the guiding requirement if a "Master Guide" can't tell the difference between a cub and a mature bear. I chuckle because if you are willing to plunk down that kind of cash without researching to exhaustion the guide-you are a fool.

                  Sorry-I guess I need sensitivity training.

                  KK

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If he only..

                    shot a second one, they could have had matching slippers made.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Guides

                      Maybe a guide with integrity and skill will inherit this area !

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        problem is skill has nothing to do with it....
                        i know one master guide who wouldn't pay his help cause he thought it was a privledge to work for him....
                        i know other master guides who said they'd pay their help.....checks in the mail so to speak...
                        i know other master guides that are membersof the APHA that have put their clients brown bear tags on DLP bears that their guides have shot
                        One master guide on the ethics board for APHA called a client from another guide and told him he'd do anything to keep him from hunting with the competition.
                        I know of other master guides who kept the same meat pole of moose ALL season long and left the rest of the meat out in the field, but that way they always had meat in camp if the troopers checked them....shot a half dozen bulls, only kept the meat from one and of course it rotted.
                        Some great guys out there running their own show....saw a hand full of them in fairbanks at the BGCSB meeting a few weeks back...dirty business in alot of ways....its a no wonder residents have no respect for the guide industry.
                        Www.blackriverhunting.com
                        Master guide 212

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Good 'ole boys...

                          Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
                          problem is skill has nothing to do with it....
                          i know one master guide who wouldn't pay his help cause he thought it was a privledge to work for him....
                          i know other master guides who said they'd pay their help.....checks in the mail so to speak...
                          i know other master guides that are membersof the APHA that have put their clients brown bear tags on DLP bears that their guides have shot
                          One master guide on the ethics board for APHA called a client from another guide and told him he'd do anything to keep him from hunting with the competition.
                          I know of other master guides who kept the same meat pole of moose ALL season long and left the rest of the meat out in the field, but that way they always had meat in camp if the troopers checked them....shot a half dozen bulls, only kept the meat from one and of course it rotted.
                          Some great guys out there running their own show....saw a hand full of them in fairbanks at the BGCSB meeting a few weeks back...dirty business in alot of ways....its a no wonder residents have no respect for the guide industry.
                          Jake, you're never gonna be a master guide, if you keep telling the truth! I appreciate you being an upstanding guide, who shoots straight from the hip, and who treats your clients fairly.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            OK

                            Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
                            problem is skill has nothing to do with it....
                            i know one master guide who wouldn't pay his help cause he thought it was a privledge to work for him....
                            i know other master guides who said they'd pay their help.....checks in the mail so to speak...
                            i know other master guides that are membersof the APHA that have put their clients brown bear tags on DLP bears that their guides have shot
                            One master guide on the ethics board for APHA called a client from another guide and told him he'd do anything to keep him from hunting with the competition.
                            I know of other master guides who kept the same meat pole of moose ALL season long and left the rest of the meat out in the field, but that way they always had meat in camp if the troopers checked them....shot a half dozen bulls, only kept the meat from one and of course it rotted.
                            Some great guys out there running their own show....saw a hand full of them in fairbanks at the BGCSB meeting a few weeks back...dirty business in alot of ways....its a no wonder residents have no respect for the guide industry.

                            So maybe I was optimistic, I'll settle for a guide with integrity inheriting the area. Sounds like a lot of the "Good Ole' Boys" ain't really all that GOOD.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              well they had a system set up and when it came crashing down alot of guys didn't like it, cause before that they had some security and this is NOT a secure business so when they lost that it hit hard. they still talk about it or it comes up about every ten minutes at the meetings....
                              which is why alot of them are territorial and resdients have had problems and guides referr to runways/animals and areas as "THEIRS". when in reality they are public resources.
                              If the new guide concessions go thru we'll see a drastic decline in guiding pressure statewide, which will open up alot of territory for resident/drop hunters and hopefully it will weed out some of the guides who make decisions like the one that started this thread. the plan is to use the new concession application as a filter so to speak to weed out alot of the garbage.
                              Whereever rocky was when this happened, unless it was private land, theres probably already at least a dozen guides already usiing it....
                              Www.blackriverhunting.com
                              Master guide 212

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X