Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POW unit 2 fall bear restrictions

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/hunt_...0_info_faq.pdf

I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. What do you guys think about this one? Pretty much going to shut down the fall harvest of black bears. The #2 complaint I hear from locals are that they don't see as many bears in town on the beaches as they used to (that hunters have killed off the easy to kill bears that are used to humans presumably). The #1 complaint being non-residents taking patheticly small bears that should have been passed up.

Do you believe that this regulation will put undue pressure on the few areas that will still be feasably hunted? I believe that this will put concentrated pressure on areas close to the city limits, coastal salmon rivers accessable by boat, and Forest Service cabins.

Another point. Current regulations do not require than any meat be kept from a bear during this time of year. Hunters can still get to their hunting area by bicycle or on foot but cannot use a vehicle to transport meat out of the field. This will result in more meat being left in the field that might otherwise have been taken out.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinW View Post
      http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/hunt_...0_info_faq.pdf

I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. What do you guys think about this one? Pretty much going to shut down the fall harvest of black bears. The #2 complaint I hear from locals are that they don't see as many bears in town on the beaches as they used to (that hunters have killed off the easy to kill bears that are used to humans presumably). The #1 complaint being non-residents taking patheticly small bears that should have been passed up.

Do you believe that this regulation will put undue pressure on the few areas that will still be feasably hunted? I believe that this will put concentrated pressure on areas close to the city limits, coastal salmon rivers accessable by boat, and Forest Service cabins.
      no need to flog a dead horse
      http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ight=usfs+bear

Comment

POW Fall hunt

Originally posted by icb12 View Post
        LOL .... icb12 .... remeber this one ... :eek:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=47175
        johnnie laird

Comment

my take

Originally posted by JustinW View Post
          Do you believe that this regulation will put undue pressure on the few areas that will still be feasably hunted?
          Not really ....

I believe that this will put concentrated pressure on areas close to the city limits, coastal salmon rivers accessable by boat, and Forest Service cabins.
          What city limits? Only Craig has city limits; but it is surrounded by Native no-trepass lands .. Thorne Bay has city limits; but it is a ways to any fish creeks .. Coffman has city limits; but like TB it is surrounded by water except on one side. A ways to find many Bear. That's it for city limits. Ops forgot Klawock and Hydaburg ... both surrounded by native lands.

Coastal salmon rivers have always been hunted by being accessed by boat. Nothing new. Boat rentals were always running at max capacity.

There is only 2 USFS Cabins on the road system. They have always been heavily hunted in the adjacent areas and have also always been running at max capacity. You must be in the cabin rental party to hunt from there. No driving in for the day and hunting and driving out the same day.

As for meat salvage ... very little meat salvage is done in September. What little was done will probably still be done. Some meat salvage is done in Oct / Nov after they have moved onto the berries for a while. But the road closure is only Sept.
          johnnie laird

Comment

pardon me for starting a new thread, searching using key terms I used didn't reveal anything on the topic, hopefully if anything I added a good redirect. My apologies, I did do a search first.

Comment

Apology ????

Probably good you brought it up so hunters can adjust their Fall plans ...

It was a lively and fun discussion ..... :eek:
              johnnie laird

Comment

If local you still get to hunt as normal but bears may be on the back burner at that time.
                Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X