Afognak Bear Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afognak Bear Hunt

I drew a bear tag for the Afognak Island(s) for the spring hunt. Has anyone ever hunted there in the spring for bear? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also need float plane and/or boat rental info. for Kodiak.
    Thanks

afognak brwn. bear

i did not hunt the sprg.. i hunted the fall, if that helps?
    Cold Zero
    Member: S.C.I., N.R.A. Life Endowment Member & L.E. Tactical Firearms Instr.

Comment

AFOG Island

Cold Zero,
      We are heading there in late October for bear,deer, and hopefully elk.
      Any advice would be appreciated.
      My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Comment

Afognak hunts

I have hunted Afognak a couple of times in the spring for the bear hunt. Be very careful about land use as the native corporations are getting more assertive in going after trespassers, our last pilot said that he had been hired in the past to do over flights of the native owned land and look for trespassers and then report back to the native corporation.

As far as actually hunting, the beaches are VERY productive, but that means having a boat. A lot of the bears I encountered could care less about humans so be careful. If you are staying in a tent than you are a brave soul.

If you haven't already arranged air from Kodiak, I have been very happy with Andrew airways, they always show up when they say they are going to and very friendly.

Any specific questions email me and I'll do the best I can to help.

Comment

Afognak

We are getting dropped off at Laura lake on the south side to get better access to the hopefully logged areas and trails. We are also taking a kayak for the lake. We are doing the tent thing and carrying a fence. I assume rain, wind, brush, and hiking. We have a bear tag. And yes, we are taking Andrews Air. Got any ideas?

Comment

Bear Fence

What is the general consensus on the bear fencing around a tent. Is it worth it or should we sleep with one eye open anyway?

Drew
            Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Comment

LOL............I would take the fence, some claymors, some night vision goggles, and run a trip wire with about a 300 yard perimeter around the camp and even then I probably still wouldn't be able to sleep, but hey, thats just me.

Comment

Yeah, dress like a salmon, and you should be fine!!
                ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Comment

Afog

How about the fact that my other hunting partners are fatter than me, shoudn't that make me less appealing. It is either tent it or not go.
                  Anyone with elk luck up north on Afognak.

Comment

Mkay you have to tell stories

Your first night in camp tell bear horror stories that will scare the crap out of your hunting partners. THat way you will have two wide awake partners to watch camp all night

Comment

Bear Deterrence

Before you fly in, rub some mothballs on your sleeping bag and the clothes that you'll be sleeping in.....then when you get to camp, rub some bacon grease on your buddies' sleeping bags....

All kidding aside, I hope you have a safe and enjoyable hunt.

Michael

Comment

Afognak

Thanks

I was kicking the tent idea around, but like everyone else, I'm not real keen about tenting down there. I'll have to look into the fence option. I do have access to a skiff that could possibly sleep three people on it. I have heard Andrew Airways name come up a few times when talking to people about this hunt.

Do the bears look for grasses and/or vegetation to eat when they come out of their dens?

I was just wondering if it would be worth buying the permit to hunt the native lands. I called the Afognak Native Corp. in Kodiak and they told me only eight people bought the permit last year. Well, eight people out of 35/50 seemed to be pretty good odds not to run into another hunter. Anyone have their two cents they want to throw into this?

By the way, I can run faster than my hunting partner that is coming with...
                        Last edited by fnd1734; 10-12-2006, 20:47. Reason: spelling errors

Comment

Dont sweat the bears, get an eletric fence, they can be had for about $250-$275 and whether it works or not it will allow you to sleep better. We used one on the Peninsula this past spring on a brown bear hunt and had it up for 4 days before we realized we had lost our ground in the extreme wind and it wasn''t working. Remember, your bear hunting and hopefully they will be in the same area you are. Andrews is a first class outfit and very friendly, not to mention very knowledgeable about Kodiak. I will tell you that a couple buddies of mine went to Afognak for a bear hunt a couple-3 years ago and were afraid to tent it so they got put in a horrible spot(Onion Bay) just so they could stay in a cabin and came home empty handed. Talk to Andrews , there are good spots on Afognak to hunt the bears but your going to have to tent it to be in a good place. Kill a biggin!

Comment

How about a big Smooch?

Forget bacon grease, bear stories and mothballs. When your partner is falling asleep, lean over and give him a big smooch on the cheek. When realizes what just happened he won't sleep a wink for the rest of the trip! You can rest easy knowing he'll have at least one eye open all night long.

Comment

toothpick

Originally posted by Mkay View Post
                              How about the fact that my other hunting partners are fatter than me, shoudn't that make me less appealing. It is either tent it or not go.
                              Anyone with elk luck up north on Afognak.
                              Ever needed a toothpick after a thick steak? :-)
                              Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
                              Genesis 9:3

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X