Game is Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game is Food

Reading Stranger's February Females thread once again reminded me that Alaska's game animals are food. Many forget that hunting originated as a way to get food, not to get your name in some kind of a record book.

In that vein, I'm starting a thread dedicated to the notion that Game is Food! Your pictures are welcome. I'm gonna start it off with pictures of a deer meat hunt some friends made a few years ago. Some of the animals were killed by proxy for some of the local elders and some for the hunters themselves. Then they were processed and delivered. Soon after we had a couple parties in which game meat and seafood were prominently featured. That's what it's all about.

This will be pic heavy and require a few posts.

First, a couple pickups loads of deer are brought from the boat to the shed for skinning.
    Attached Files
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Game is Food

After skinning, the deer are taken to a garage for butchering.
    Attached Files
    - Jef Mallett

Comment

Game is Food

Deer get cut and some made into burger.
      Attached Files
      - Jef Mallett

Comment

Game is Food

The hearts and the finished product.
        Attached Files
        - Jef Mallett

Comment

Game is Food

Now the good part! Ribs simmering on the wood stove, and a plate featuring the ribs and a Thai (spicy) venison salad.
          Attached Files
          - Jef Mallett

Comment

Game is Food

Next on the menue is Corned Moose Brisket and Corned Deer Shoulder.
            Attached Files
            - Jef Mallett

Comment

Game is Food

Seafood, King Crab and Shrimp
              Attached Files
              - Jef Mallett

Comment

Game is Food

Can't forget the salmon. Made into lox and pickled.
                Attached Files
                - Jef Mallett

Comment

Two kinds of meatballs made with moose meat, and crab stuffed mushrooms..........man, My mouth is watering remembering all this stuff.
                  Attached Files
                  - Jef Mallett

Comment

Game is Food

We'll finish up with some local Oysters on on the Barbi.

The bounty of Alaska.
                    Attached Files
                    - Jef Mallett

Comment

What time should I be over your house for dinner?

Comment

heres how we do it last falls moose... ignore the date stamp i never know when it will say it is...funny thing how those cameras work after being dumped in a creek
                        Last edited by Vince; 06-28-2009, 17:44.
                        "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

i do the boning and cutting the kids do the chopping and grinding and then there are the beggers at the gate that want to help.... lil one just had her first bday few weeks back.. and still wants in on all the fun.
                          Last edited by Vince; 06-28-2009, 17:44.
                          "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

Vince,that's really awsome that you get your kids involved!Too bad more parents don't do the same.

Comment

Good thread, twodux. Although I savor the meat from every harvest, this thread brought to mind three somewhat recent hunts where the primary memory is focused on the meat the kill provided. The first two are from when my sister had cancer. She went through three years of near continual treatment, and during two of those years she had Tier II caribou permits. Going through chemo and radiation during one year, and flying down to San Francisco every other week for a clinical trial the next, she physically could not go afield herself. In addition, she has three kids to feed, so having a freezer of healthy, clean meat was of particular importance to her. Apart from the money issue (which was huge), her digestive system couldn't handle beef or chicken due to the chemicals contained within them. A stomach on chemo is a picky beast, so I went to get her a caribou those two falls. I don't know that I ever posted the pics here, as neither animal was much to brag about with regards to size. The first year all I could find was a cow. I wanted to find her a larger animal, but in the end it came down to what was there and what would put food on her table. On a cool sidenote, this was the first caribou hunt my wife accompanied me on, and it was a wonderful experience for the two of us.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X