Bone saw questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gerbers

You definately have to baby the gerbers. IME the plastic body will fail long before you've gone through several replacement blades. I wouldnt carry anything heavier in my backpack though.

Comment

SAW

There is a handle at Home Depot. You use it to hold a Sawz-All blade. Stick the blade shank into the handle and tighten the screw. It allows you to use different blade lengths and and tooth patterns. The blades are cheaper and stronger than Gerbers or Wyomings; less weight too.

Comment

Gerber...

I have used two different models of Gerber. One of them the blade was too flimsy, and the handle didn't seem real tough. I lost that one, so I bought a different Gerber. It is a little heavier, but seems a lot tougher. Worked perfectly to saw the skull cap off a sheep last year. It is the same one that pinehavensredrocket posted a picture of. I would recommend something like the one Mr. Pid posted for cutting up a moose, since (hopefully) you won't have to pack it too far anyway:eek:

I will be taking my Gerber on my sheep hunt this year.

Comment

I used this gerber saw last year with great results. I dropped the 9" "wood saw" blade out due to the fact that the 20" chainsaw blade will to all that and more and also dropped the carrying case as well to save weight. The 9" bone saw had no problem cutting off the antlers off my wife moose last year much better than the wyoming saw I have used in years past on moose and caribou antlers. And on a caribou backpack hunt last fall it was nice to buck up some wood for a campfire and the 20" chainsaw with extension made quick work of a bunch of dead fall trees. Anyways, its worked well for me. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Pid View Post
            Small, lightweight, tough, and faster cutting than the designer saws targeted at hunters. I've turned several guys onto these and I don't know a single one who's ever gone back to folding saws.

GREATEST camp saw ever designed! (I love them!)
            Joe (Ak)

Comment

Interesting thread.

Never seen anybody carry a saw around to feild dress with, though we use "Swedish Saws" bowsaw, to cut Caribou steaks with and fish into steaks as well, while they are frozen. A most excellent type of saw.

I guess if I needed to chop off some weight on say a mountain side sheep, it might come in handy.
              Everything else can be cut apart with a small knife, including splitting a Bears sternum straight up and Moose/Caribou Briskets come off in seconds.
              I'll see what is around and see what can be done.

thanks!
              If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Comment

I've used the folding gerber's for deer and they work great for that. Probably a bit flimsey for a moose though. I've never hunted moose so take that for what it's worth.

Comment

Stranger -
                  If you want to "Quarter" a small moose - cut into 4 pieces plus the head - it involves splitting the spine from head to tail. I think you will find you need a good saw for this method. While there are other methods this is a great one for preserving meat in the best quality while traveling long distance.

I have used the same Wyoming saw Roger45 listed for years and it has performed well. I prefer the ease of my meat band saw for these delicacies-

Comment

Small, lightweight, tough, and faster cutting than the designer saws targeted at hunters. I've turned several guys onto these and I don't know a single one who's ever gone back to folding saws.

I use a custom saw that pretty much matches this but has a removable handle and a nice leather carrying case. Only problem is my blade is about shot and they were custom made back in the early 80s and there is no way I know of to get a new blade....

I like it because it doesn't have that hack saw type design where the top bar can get caught up.
                    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' sigpic Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Comment

Great Saw

Originally posted by DMan View Post
                      I use a custom saw that pretty much matches this but has a removable handle and a nice leather carrying case. Only problem is my blade is about shot and they were custom made back in the early 80s and there is no way I know of to get a new blade....

I like it because it doesn't have that hack saw type design where the top bar can get caught up.
                      I have a saw like this with plastic handle and it had two different sized blades. For the crazy weight saving sheep hunter the small blade does the trick and saves some weight. This saw is very light and cuts like a champ.

Comment

I am one of these guys. Every other saw I owned never left the house again after using this one.
                        Cheap (about $10), super light (maybe 4-6 ounces), no parts to lose, nothing to assemble, sharper than any other saw out there. I just covered the paper sheath with duct tape and it is still going strong after a couple of moose and many deer.

Comment

I sell a bunch of those saws for meat saws. Since I only hunt moose from a boat, airplane or ATV I just take my Makita 18V sawzall However, other than using a saw on the skull cap to take the horns I have never used a saw to butcher a moose..ever.
                          Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Comment

My 2 cents

I wholeheartedly agree with AKDoug. If you're in a bout or on a machine of some sort, an 18V cordless saws-all beats them all. Never thought about it till a buddy mentioned it a couple years ago. On the manual side, I've had the same Wyoming saw for almost 20 years. It's handy for game as well as around camp. Wish I had the larger one but the 11" was the only option years ago when I bought mine. Just couldn't resist throwin my 2cents in.
                            " There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot" - Steven Wright

Comment

Doug...

I've thought about bringing my DeWalt Sawsall, & wondered how much of a mess it would make to clean up the sawsall? Do you really bring your sawsall or are you just funnin' us?

Comment

I used my dewalt sawzall one a moose before. Pretty slick really and a much smaller package than a chainsaw. Makes hacking off knees, splittling the sternum and ribs and all super easy. Sure you can do it all with a knife, but sometimes its nice making things a little easier when possible.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X