Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kingfisherktn
    replied
    Things I won't do again while hunting........

1. Never hunt a slippery, wet goat mtn in October without crampons.

2. Never take a 20 bag up that mtn when the temps could be 15.

3. Never goat hunt again without my walking ax.

Leave a comment:

• Roland on the River
    replied
    Ha Ha

He He He, first liar doesn't stand a chance LOL

Leave a comment:

• mrkc
    replied
    Originally posted by Indian Summer View Post
    I have you beat... 5' 6" here! I've cut and packed a million elk and a hind quarter is a pretty good load. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a moose hind on my shoulders or not, but I'm sure gonna try. Like many challenges in life I think it will be 50% mental and 50% physical. Once I have it on my back and manage to stand upright it'll be one step at a time. The "bone in" regs in 21 are a killer. Especially with the ribs where there's as much bone as meat. My hope is that getting it to the boat will be the main chore. After that getting it to the meat pole will be more fun. I'll have a come-along (or rope-along) to help but that doesn't eliminate the packing. I'll git er dun though and the looking over my shoulder the entire time part is as much of a concern as carrying moose quarters (or 8th's LOL)

Northway.... I'd have hogtied that guy and packed him back in to where he came from. Can you check a human onto Alaska Air Cargo as meat?

First moose hunt..... and FIRED UP!

Thanks to all for the help over the last year.... great people up there no doubt and this site kicks *****.

Joe
    www.elk-hunting-montana.com
    I'm about your height, probably a bit lighter than you (I'm just not a big guy), and I can get a moose quarter on my shoulders with a little trouble. I think you'll be able to do it. God knows my back hates me the day after, though!

Leave a comment:

• Indian Summer
    replied
    AK River Rat,

I have you beat... 5' 6" here! I've cut and packed a million elk and a hind quarter is a pretty good load. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a moose hind on my shoulders or not, but I'm sure gonna try. Like many challenges in life I think it will be 50% mental and 50% physical. Once I have it on my back and manage to stand upright it'll be one step at a time. The "bone in" regs in 21 are a killer. Especially with the ribs where there's as much bone as meat. My hope is that getting it to the boat will be the main chore. After that getting it to the meat pole will be more fun. I'll have a come-along (or rope-along) to help but that doesn't eliminate the packing. I'll git er dun though and the looking over my shoulder the entire time part is as much of a concern as carrying moose quarters (or 8th's LOL)

Northway.... I'd have hogtied that guy and packed him back in to where he came from. Can you check a human onto Alaska Air Cargo as meat?

First moose hunt..... and FIRED UP!

Thanks to all for the help over the last year.... great people up there no doubt and this site kicks *****.

Joe
    www.elk-hunting-montana.com

Leave a comment:

• GMC_Hick
    replied
    2 bulls

First moose bull I ever got. approximately 3 miles from the road. by myself. never been so tired(lucky lil 3 year old). never again! oops! i hate lying to myself. Downed one this year by myself got a vehicle close enough to it to make it not to bad. Just the quartering and loading the packs is a chore with moose. The one that always gets me is Haul road 5 miles in. suckers me every time. 4 bulls (differant times) 6-9 miles in..they are never at 5 mile mark..why is that!!?? Never again means you earned every bite!

Leave a comment:

• northway
    replied
    I was packing...

with a guy once that thought he was the toughest guy on earth. Well we all had big loads of moose. We had the moose boned out and in game bags. The bags were the small ones and all ended up weighing between 25-30 pounds each (we weighed them when home). We had about a 1 1/2 mile pack to the strip. We talked about the best way to get there and told each other that we all needed to make a certain spot. Well after dividing up 2 big bulls, we had 4 bags not in the packs. People wanted to come back the next day for them, but I refused to walk back again. I ended up with 6 bags and my 70" rack on my pack. Over about 225#'s. This "arrogant" person took off and headed for the strip. We had to make an old cat trail and then follow it up the hill to the strip. Well, we finally got back to camp and found him in bed and no meat. Come to find out, he (only 4 bags) in his pack, hit the old cat trail and "dumped" the meat. I ended up going down and bringing it back up that evening. He pretty much slept the rest of the afternoon/evening and left the next day. Couldn't have been a better parting time for him.

Leave a comment:

• Ak River Rat
    replied
    Northway is a big guy!

Imagine if you were all 5'8" of me! Geez, you're about big enough to drag the whole moose by the ankle.
    And I thought my buddies were nuts for shooting "the inseminator" 2 miles from the boat, and we had 4 guys to do the work. Remind me buddy that if you invite me for more than a duck hunt to say..... ok maybe.
    About the only thing I said I would never do again is to stick out a hunt where I was miserable because of the people there. I was invited along as a boat driver by some friends so some guys from stateside could come hunt. One of the 4 deserved a ride home. The others should have been forced to walk (from the koyukuk to the bridge). Next time (if there is a next time) I will have to leave early or risk doing something not very kind. I really like the guys I hunt with. Makes me appreciate them even more.

Leave a comment:

• trapperrick
    replied
    Oh man you guys give me something to look forward to. I'll b dropped on a lake in 21B 8 days before my partner shows up. Until then I'll be hunting moose alone.

I'm hoping to be able to use the bow since I have the full 21 days to hunt. I think I'm setting myself up for 2 "never agains" though. One to quarter and pack a bull alone. The other will be to shoot one and have him head for the water before going down which is highly likely since I'll be hunting the lake shore the entire time. If a moose on land alone is a no no for some I'd imagine one in waist high water alone would be insane. Like BRWNBR said.... I'll be ready if neccesary. I know one thing.... I'll have all the right tools to make it as painless as possible. Pray for me!
    I have a Jim Shockley video where a hunter with him takes a monster moose with a bow. It was probably about a 40 yard shot, maybe a little more but it was a perfect hit. The moose seemed to wince when the arrow hit, stood there for maybe 15 seconds and then dropped in his tracks! I'd love to know what broadheads he was using. That has to be the best kill shot I've ever seen.

Leave a comment:

• northway
    replied
    Been there, done that

Shot 4 big bull moose (60+) solo on different years and swore all 4 times I would never do it again, but once I packed the last load out (the last bully was over a 3 mile pack and 3 days of packing), I said to myself, that wasn't too bad. The initial reaction is "what in the heck did I just do". I guess I am too dumb for my own good!

Leave a comment:

• goaty
    replied
    Kodiak

9 days on Kodiak hunting goats in Oct waiting for Roland to pick us up but couldn't because of weather. Every day it was nice for us, he had the weather we had the day before. We called every day for 6 days. It was looking hopeless, then a willawah came down and broke and ripped our tents 2 days before he came. We were planning our Hike out, but to where? Dead Mans Bay? That didn't have a good ring to it. And then what anyway? Not like there is anything there. We swore goats off...for about 3 weeks. But I guarantee I'll never hunt that high up on Kodiak in Oct again.

Leave a comment:

• AKRDGRUNNER
    replied
    But the Thrill!

Originally posted by Bill S. View Post
    Not a moose but.. A few years ago three of us dropped two caribou bulls at the same time about1 1/2 miles from camp, at about 5pm. It took us awhile to properly quarter them up and by the time we got back to camp, it was midnight. I swore I wouldn't take two at the same time again. Well, I didn't but, my brother, my daughter and I were on her first caribou hunt and we stalked a herd coming over a saddle. We did not shoot two at one time, we shot three bulls at one time! And it was about the same time in the evening. By the time we got everything cleaned up, we cached the meat and made it back to camp at about midnight. The meat was 1.1 miles from camp in a straight line and we all know about straight lines in Alaska. We had 16 more loads of meat and the trophies and it took us most of the next day to get it all to camp and taken care of. So much for promises.
    at least you didnt feel the pain till afterwards. The rush of her first caribou musta felt pretty good

Leave a comment:

• salchastar
    replied
    Hm..

quarter and pack a bull
    I'm not sure you'll quarter a moose and then pack it. I did that this fall, it took two of us to lift each quarter and a third to get it hung on the meat pole. If you're packing by yourself you're going to be putting that thing into 9-11 parts like the fella' up above said.

v/r

salcha star road

Leave a comment:

• Bill S.
    replied
    Not a moose but.. A few years ago three of us dropped two caribou bulls at the same time about1 1/2 miles from camp, at about 5pm. It took us awhile to properly quarter them up and by the time we got back to camp, it was midnight. I swore I wouldn't take two at the same time again. Well, I didn't but, my brother, my daughter and I were on her first caribou hunt and we stalked a herd coming over a saddle. We did not shoot two at one time, we shot three bulls at one time! And it was about the same time in the evening. By the time we got everything cleaned up, we cached the meat and made it back to camp at about midnight. The meat was 1.1 miles from camp in a straight line and we all know about straight lines in Alaska. We had 16 more loads of meat and the trophies and it took us most of the next day to get it all to camp and taken care of. So much for promises.

Leave a comment:

• B-radford
    replied
    I never have done a moose by myself, done a couple caribou with no problem. I have to agree with most that have posetd, it seems every time i say to my self "I'll never do that again" i always find my self in fact doing what i said that i wont ever do.

Leave a comment:

• Indian Summer
    replied
    Oh man you guys give me something to look forward to. I'll b dropped on a lake in 21B 8 days before my partner shows up. Until then I'll be hunting moose alone.

I'm hoping to be able to use the bow since I have the full 21 days to hunt. I think I'm setting myself up for 2 "never agains" though. One to quarter and pack a bull alone. The other will be to shoot one and have him head for the water before going down which is highly likely since I'll be hunting the lake shore the entire time. If a moose on land alone is a no no for some I'd imagine one in waist high water alone would be insane. Like BRWNBR said.... I'll be ready if neccesary. I know one thing.... I'll have all the right tools to make it as painless as possible. Pray for me!

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X