Best .270 Bullet for Black Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best .270 Bullet for Black Bear

My father-in-law refuses to shoot anything other than his trusted .270Win (which is fine), but we're heading to POW for bears this spring and he's wondering what bullet he should be shooting.

I first thought was either a 150gr NP or a 140gr TBBC.

What are your thoughts?

RW

Black bears are very thin skined. If you take a double lung shot any bullet will be fine!

Comment

I've always used the 150gr NP loaded by Federal, works great on everything from deer to elk to black bears to interior grizz.

Comment

150 Nosler Partition, gonna be loading mine this weekend for spring bear.

Comment

Originally posted by TomM View Post
          150 Nosler Partition, gonna be loading mine this weekend for spring bear.
          Spring bear this weekend??? Where are you from?

Hmmmm, never mind, being a little dyslexic...
          "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
          ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

Back to the thread... one vote for 130 E-Tips.
            "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
            ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

150 NP
              140 Accubond

Comment

Any of the tougher bullets out of a 270win will work. I like the 130gr TSX out of my 270win. Break bones. (shoulder shot)
                Alaska Wide Open Charters
                www.alaskawideopen.com
                907-965-0130

Comment

I'll second 270ti

130 gr Triple Shock X

Comment

what ever you use for deer... will work fine. Blackies are easy to kill and have small bones.. thats why you can use expandable broadheads on them unlike moose or goats here in AK... if rim fires were allowed for big game a hollow point 22 behind the ear would be perfect...

i use a soft nose bulllet for all game up here.. all your shots will be under 150 yards so... range is not that important.. i used a 338 once... spent as much to get the leg sewn back on as i did for the rug.

270 is a great round... i like the Managed recoil in 140 for the kids... but in short what you shoot out of it now will work fine...
                    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

triple shox

triple shox

Comment

many choices......

If you hand load I would look at the 140 grain Barnes X and 150 grain Nosler Partition. Either one will work just fine. They are probably available in factory loads. With any big bear 2 shots are better then one, etc. The .270 Winchester is an American classic!

Comment

Here's a 270 140 accubond out of a POW bear.

Comment

Any bullet

I use the cheap 130 gr bullets out of the wife's .270. I can not remember what brand, but they are about $20.00 a box.

This round has killed black bears, bou, and moose. Every one of the critters dropped dead in less than 20 meters.

Comment

150 NP would be my choice seconded by the TSX of the same grain.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X