Grizzly Skull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizzly Skull

My former co-worker and I were having this conversation about outdoors, skulls, and many other fascinating things about what's discovered in Alaska a couple years ago. She just reposted this picture on her Facebook page and I was reminded of her story.
    She told me that her dad discovered this amazing Grizzly Skull. When we worked together, she asked me to come around to look at her picture and sure enough, this bear skull is HUGE.
    She told me at one time it was on display somewhere down in the Lower 48 and her dad was waiting for it to come back.

Here is a picture of the Grizzly skull.
    Maybe some of you know who they are or have seen this picture before. I haven't seen it on Outdoors Directory, so with permission from my friend and former co-worker, she's allowing me to post this picture of her dad (Skip) with his Grizzly skull:

Now... for the sake of you all that like to go and search for this stuff 'just to be sure', I went ahead and did it for you:
    http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgReco...ds&type=SKULLS

Enjoy! You never know what you will find in Alaska's country. Skip was just taking a walk/hike when he discovered it.

The Scott Family resides in Salcha, Alaska
    Lurker.

Insane

That is an insane skull, where did he find it, what general area? That's huge.
    Marc Theiler

Comment

that's big

As big as that is, it looks like a Cave Bear skull. Do you know how long and wide it is?
      Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
      - Frank Zappa

Comment

Amazing, isn't it? I know that I am fascinated by it.
        Here is what's on the Boone and Crocket website:
        Greatest length of skull without lower jaw: 17 4/16
        Greatest width of skull: 10 9/16

After I posted this, I realized that maybe this should be in the 'Wildlife' forum. My feelings arent hurt if this is moved.
        Thanks!
        Lurker.

Comment

It looks like the Cave Bear skull they have on display at Fairbanks F&G.
          "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Originally posted by stid2677 View Post
            It looks like the Cave Bear skull they have on display at Fairbanks F&G.
            Yeah, I am not sure where it's located at, but it could very well be at Fairbanks F&G. There is a nice little history behind it, though.
            Skip is also a guide and a taxidermist. He has a bear that he mounted on display at the Fairbanks International Airport.
            Lurker.

Comment

So is this the Bear in the B&C record book?

I have a Ural cave bear skull, if my wife will help, I'll post a pic,..

Comment

That makes me wonder just how big the browny that was killed at grandmas fishcamp.

Comment

Looks like a cave bear skull to me.

Comment

I think its fairly fresh, like the last 10 or so years.

It too white to be Prehistoric.
                    Even bones out of the permafrost are deeply stained with minerals.
                    Then again, it says he was a taxadermy kinda guy...

Looks like "The one that got away"
                    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Comment

Thats pretty cool! Amazing how worn down the teeth are. I like the pic they have in Knights taxidermy of the brown bear skull and human skull found together on Kodiak Island. Want to say Pinell and Talifson found it but not positive.
                      http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Comment

I managed to get two pic of my ural cave bear skull on my album, so those are viewable on my profile....no help from wife.........

Comment

Originally posted by DEDWUF View Post
                          So is this the Bear in the B&C record book?

I have a Ural cave bear skull, if my wife will help, I'll post a pic,..
                          Deduwf, I was hoping you'd chime in with your skull and information!
                          Hope you dont mind me posting the pics in the thread.

Tell us kind folks a little more about this gem....

The Alaska Life www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
                          sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

Comment

That beast is awesome! Lets hear the story, you can't post up pics like that and not let us know more.
                            http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Comment

Thanks for the help hunt ak,.. as you know I use crayons better than computers.

This one came from the Ural, 40,000-60,000 yrs old, could be older.
                              They don't make them any more, Romania cracked down, no more outsiders. Sales thru the Gov't.
                              Sizable one like this one are getting hard to find.
                              And they are not cheap.
                              More info later, don't want to 'wreck' this thread.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X