What's in your freezer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in your freezer?

So I was looking at the freezer and am thankfull that I can share in some of the bounty of the wonderful state of Alaska. We have 30+lbs of blueberries, 10+lbs of cranberries, quarts of juice made from rosehips, a moose, a sheep, some caribou from last year, some crab from Haines, some copper river reds, some halibut and who knows what else.

I love Alaska and feel fortunate to live here.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

My ex wife.
    Sorry,lol, I couldnt resist.
    Plently of reds, a few silvers, some halibut, and lots of deer meat from last year. With the limit being three and son and I always getting our limit we are hard pressed to eat it all.
    Hope to add a few caribou at the end of the month!

Comment

Freezer

Not only in Alaska, but in Oregon we have plenty. I have halibut, salmon, albacore tuna, antelope, mule deer, a bit of last year's moose, black berries, and huckleberries. The pantry has home canned salsa, relish, pears, apples, peaches, and venison. I like to know where my food come from.

Comment

Red and king salmon, halibut, ling cod, fresh moose backstraps and tenderloin. We are waiting on the rest of my moose to be processed at Indian Valley. Alaska is awesome and the bounty she offers is incredible!!

Comment

Full Freezer...

Moose, Reds, Silvers, Halibut, Grouse,(Elk, Bison not from AK) and one lonely King Fillet...

Alaska has definitely fed my family...and I am thankful every time I lift that freezer lid.
          When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Comment

If your hungry here, you're to lazy to go to the Freezer

From this year ,Halibut, King/SS/Red Salmon, Grouse (about 60 spruce hens), from last year, Moose sausage/bratwerst/liverwerst/burger, Caribou burger/sausage/salamie/pastramie all commercially vac-packed and look like they were put in the freezer yesterday. Leaving for Kodiak on the 12th and hope to add some Deer to the mix.
            Frank
            Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
            www.wildroselodge.com

Comment

freezer

Halibut,salmon, moose, deer and wild hog, lots of all of it.

Doug
              http://www.alaskasgreatoutdoors.com

Comment

3 caribou, grouse, ptarmigan, ducks, tons of reds, slivers, halibut, and kings.
                Least to say it has been a good yr....every yr is a good one when you can get outdoors and get away from everything.
                sigpic
                "I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
                The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Comment

In the Freezer

We have Moose, Caribou, Grouse, Reds, Silvers & King Salmon, Blueberries and Halibut. It has been a great year and the family will eat great all winter.

Comment

We have fresh moose that I caught couple weeks ago ( just got back from Indian Valley), King salmon from the Kuskokwim, Silvers from Hope and Bird Creek, Clams, Halibut, Seal, Muktuk (whale blubber), fish strips, and lots of blue and salmon berries. Gotta love Alaska! As Ted Nugent says Kill em and grill em!

Comment

moose, caribou, muskox, ducks, swans, geese, salmon, goat, crab, halibut, rockfish, ptarmigan, pheasants (from WI)

Comment

Boy, we are "eatin good in the neighborhood" huh?!?!?
                        A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

time to warm up some

brown squirrel, dove, quail, redfish, mahi, mangrove snapper, crappie, whitetail: of course all the backstrap and tenderloin is eaten fresh after last weeks bow kills, gatortail, bullfrogs, and some dall sheep from alaska.

Comment

Moose, caribou/reindeer, seal, beluga muktuk, bowhead muktuk, beaver (haha....that's trapping bait and going out), goose, reds, silvers, YUKON KING SALMON, humpies, sheefish (from the Yukon R.), blueberries, salmon berries, blackberries(the western alaska kind) maybe some lowbush crans, and of course some good ol fashion Carrs/safeway BEEF!. Oh, probably some chicken, dried ptarmigan, and maybe.............maybe............sometime this month...........muskox.
                            I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
                            I have less friends now!!

Comment

We don't have a freezer!

No freezer here, never had one, can't afford to run one on battery power. So a pressure canner and mason jars are what we use to hold things over here, and it keeps my wife busy canning all her home-grown vegis and gathered berries and such. We don't usually jar or dry foods like beaver, duck, grouse, as we eat those before they need to be frozen or jarred.

Right now we have jars and jars of smoked grayling and whitefish, smoked salmon, blueberries, cranberries, cloudberries (asst. jams and jellies), moose tongue and heart, pickles, tomatoes, peppers, etc. We usually jerk some meat for trapline food. Didn't get a bear this summer, so no jarred bear meat this year. Low on fat and could have used a fat bear going into winter. May have to use beaver grease for that later on this winter. Moose is hanging in the meat shed now, on the bone. Had marinated backstraps for supper last night and sure was good.

Sounds like a lot of us still "subsist" off the land and waters of Alaska to a large degree, no matter where we live in the state. I'm glad to see so many appreciate and utilize the bounty our state provides.

Cheers, Mark
                              "Food is where we daily explore our harming of the world" ---Gary Snyder
                              Mark Richards
                              www.residenthuntersofalaska.org

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X