How many years w/o a permit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I think that the only thing that really erks me about our system is that a guy can live here for 20 years and put in for the same coveted tags year in and year out and not draw them, yet a newbie Alaskan can move here and draw said coveted tag on his first try , in his first year as a resident. I have pretty much given up on drawing any of the coveted tags, though I go through the steps of donating for them annually. But there are some of the 2nd rate or 3rd rate tags like goats, cow moose,bou, and any sheep areas which there are really high odds of drawing and they arent hard to get. I think the system pretty much sucks, but I live with it!
    That is both good and bad. I love the fact that my kids will have an = opportunity to draw as soon as they are eligable!

Comment

Originally posted by LuJon View Post
      I love the fact that my kids will have an = opportunity to draw as soon as they are eligable!

Agreed. My nephew will be 10 in May and we'll have him put in for a couple of moose permits. It would be awfully hard to tell him "well boy, spend some of your money to put in for some permits - maybe when you're 30 you'll have enough points to win something!"

I guess if we ever do go to a point system, we need to make sure that we set aside a number of youth-only hunts.

Comment

Hmmm... I've been in AK since 1978 and have never drawn a permit. Perhaps that's also why I've never bothered to buy a lottery ticket.
        Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Comment

never drawn

I have been putting in for the Etolin Island Elk (quite a few years) and the Ketchikan Mt Goat (3 years) hunts since they began. I have never drawn ... Some people are on their second draw for the Goat hunt and some hunters have draw 3 times on the Elk hunt !!!!!

But I have drawn Arizona 4 out of 5 times and I know a resident hunter that have put in for one of those tags for like 20 years and another one of those tags for quite a few years years.

Luck of the Draw !!!!!
          johnnie laird

Comment

Do the math

Originally posted by AlaskaCub View Post
            I think that the only thing that really erks me about our system is that a guy can live here for 20 years and put in for the same coveted tags year in and year out and not draw them, yet a newbie Alaskan can move here and draw said coveted tag on his first try , in his first year as a resident. I have pretty much given up on drawing any of the coveted tags, though I go through the steps of donating for them annually. But there are some of the 2nd rate or 3rd rate tags like goats, cow moose,bou, and any sheep areas which there are really high odds of drawing and they arent hard to get. I think the system pretty much sucks, but I live with it!
            The drawing system is all about money into the State coffers. If newbies had no chance to draw a tag, they wouldn't be entering the draw and wouldn't be sending the state any money. If the state wanted to make drawing odds go up, they'd limit you to one pick per year per species. But then they'd only get one five dollar fee from each applicant instead of three. Now they want to go to six? So they can collect six 5 dollar fees from the average applicant? You say, "Well I'm only going to apply for one draw so it won't effect me."? Well it will because there will be that many more applicants for each hunt so your odds will go down. They will force everyone to buy six chances just because that will be the only way to keep your odds of being drawn up. I'd rather see them raise the price to apply to $20 and limit you to one choice per species. Your odds of being drawn will go up.

Preference points is another way to make money for the state. And with preference points, they even suck people in who aren't planning on hunting that year. It's called buying preference points. It's all a scam to make more money on the drawings and it does nothing in the long run to increase your odds, especially for a hard to draw tag. on a draw with 25% odds, it will help a little, but on a draw that is .5% draw It's just sucking more money out of you.
            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
            - Jef Mallett

Comment

I am on my third year as a resident and 3rd year with no tags. Also 3rd year without firing a single shot at a big game animal. Its just starting to get frustrating, but I wouldnt trade the experiences I have had for anything. I do think the state needs to tweak the system currently in place though. I dont know how other states preference points systems work, but if they just gave you an extra chance in the random draws for each year you have applied it would not change things much, but give you an extra shot at drawing a tag. You could still get lucky and get a tag your first year out, but the odds would be a little less.
              US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Comment

I won a Fairbanks archery moose tag the first year I put in for a tag. That was in 2006 and I haven't put in for anything else since.

Originally posted by .338 mag. View Post
                I think the following 4 things should give points for drawing tags. Then I could win every year!

1. How long you have lived in Alaska.
                2. How tall you are.
                3. How much you weigh.
                4. How old you are.
                You've obviously lived here a long time - 1965. Are you also really tall, fat, and old? :confused:

Sorry, just trying to figure out how you're tipping the scales in your favor (pun intended).
                Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Comment

Nothing since '05 for me. 4 tags since 1984.

Tim

Comment

I won an elk permit on Etolin back in 2002 but couldn't hunt it because I decided to go back to school insted. I have been putting in for that elk hunt since it started and have yet to get it again, I feel like I wasted my chance. I got a goat permit up north this year and don't plan on wasting another permit. (unless I get a elk permit in the spring Lol).

Comment

point system

I would be very much in favor of a point system that helps those that consistently put their money in to support the system. I've certainly heard the anecdotal stories of folks getting the prime permits on their first submission. Seems a bit unfair to those that have put in for years without success.

Comment

I have been trying for the Delta Buffy and a few moose permits as far back as I can remember - 1980 something. My only score was a Delta cow moose 2 years ago when they gave out some 900 permits. That permit did not go to waste.

I have yet to draw a permit for an animal with horns or antlers. My wife on the other hand drew both a Delta Buffy and a Delta Bull Moose on her first try at each - Neither of those went unfilled.

Comment

I went the first 10 years of applying without a single permit. Have had a little luck since then.

Comment

1 for 3

I drew a Kenai Pen. Brown Bear tag in 2008, for the hunt this spring, and it was my 2nd year to put in. Got nadda this year.

My wife has also drawn dead last two years, but the first two times she ever applied, were both for Tok sheep permits, she drew a tag. She was a 100% on draws--applied twice over her life (all 24 years at the time of her last hunt) and drew a tag on both. Sick!

Will
                            Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Comment

Same for me as some here. my first 12 years 0 for 12. last couple of years I never put in. gee, same results (duhh)and I save a few bucks.

Best of luck for those that do draw and hope you get a good trophy.

Comment

Someone has to lose. Otherwise there would be no winners.

That said, I have never not gotten something in the permit area. But I am eligible for quite a few hunts that others, probably can't or might never be able to.
                                SP
                                "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                                ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X