Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any circumstances for taking game illegally and under what circumstances?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any circumstances for taking game illegally and under what circumstances?

I was curious what others thought about taking game out of season and under what circumstances you would consider the activity, such as the family is hungry?

only for 2 reasons

Defense of life or for food in an emergency.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskariverrat View Post
      I was curious what others thought about taking game out of season and under what circumstances you would consider the activity, such as the family is hungry?
      Sorry can't condone it.....if their hungry they should have shot one in season... it's not that difficult or ask for some road kill if you can't kill animals in season or drill a hole in the ice and catch some fish or something.... if that doesn't pan out ... can you say Beans Café
      "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Comment

Survival

I always carry a firearm whenever I am flying. I pack enough food in my survival gear for about a week. If it is a survival situation I would not hesitate to harvest an animal.

AK

Comment

Originally posted by LungShot View Post
          Defense of life or for food in an emergency.
          That wouldn't be illegal... there's provisions in the reg's for that
          "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Comment

A play on words.....

If you are stranded some where and the only way you can survive is to take a critter out of season then you can. But be ready to prove it was a must do situation. In theory it would not be illegal under those conditions. So the play on words is Alaska law never allows for illegal hunting. But, there are situations where prolonging ones life by harvesting a critter would not result in criminal charges for what would normally be viewed as illegal hunting. Did I make sense?

Comment

Taking game illegally?

Greed and profit are the main motivations.

In dire circumstances, its legal to do what you gotta do.

I also belive "$het happens"
              If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Comment

To stay alive and like others have said,its not illegal then.
                Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

When the economy falls flat, you and your wife loose your jobs, house and you are living in your car with your 3 kids and the dam moose is licking your window:eek:. Well i guess that don't work either cause that would be a defence of property

Comment

prove it

make sure you can prove the situation called for it to survive and also the moose licking the window is not defense until the window is broken and the moose has at least one leg up to knee in the car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. old timer told me along time ago that one shot and some diesel on the gut pile to keep critters off and they would never find it

Comment

Certain circumstances....

Under certain circumstances the State of Alaska may not file criminal charges against you if you eat one of it's critters in an emergency situation and the law said it was illegal for you to harvest the critter under normal fish and game laws. One example would be if you were stranded some where and had done every thing a reasonable person could have done to avoid the situation. Just be ready to prove it. Were mincing words here but, there is no provision for "illegal" taking of game. But, under certain circumstances the powers that be may choose not to file criminal charges against you if they believe you had to violate fish and game laws in order to surrvive, so then it would not be "illegal" With todays technology and proper planning most of those circumstabnces can be avoided. You got me to thinking about those I have known over the years who faced that situation. One of the most common culprits was air plane crashes and not being picked up by the pilot that dropped you off. Did I make sense?

Comment

circumstance

Circumstance for subsistence is based on opportunity. I agree with the post below speaking of fishing and other options, however, when there is no food on the table and the family is cold and hungry one must seize the opportunity that presents itself. I don't feel it is up to me to judge an individuals motives without walking in there shoes. It is easy to frown upon an action based on ones own beliefs and values of a specific resource. The restrictions and seasons are in place to conserve the resource against over harvest. I agree that one should exhaust alterenate avenues (road kill, churches, etc) prior to harvesting an animal. Yes it is harder on the pride asking for assistance, but in the long run justifying an out of season harvest is probably going to be much more difficult and cost much more money.
                        "No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Comment

illegal hunting = oxymoron
                          "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Comment

When I was a kid in NY I was out squirrel hunting in the spring and I came upon a deer that was… nasty to say the least, one leg missing, huge growth on its hind quarters, and very thin. I knew something was wrong with it, something really wrong. So I put it out of its misery, one shot to the head from about 50 yards with my marlin .22, I couldn’t even walk up to it without wanting to puke it stunk so bad from rot. I’ve e done that a few times in NY because there are a fair share of idiot hunters who can’t shoot straight.
                            The growth on the hind quarters was from bow season as there was an end of an arrow still in there, about 6 inches, looked like the deer chewed off the rest. And the missing leg I can only assume from shotgun season a year or two earlier as it was healed pretty nicely.
                            Josh
                            Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Comment

A little humor

This reminds me of a joke:

A man was stranded on a deserted stretch of land for an extended period of time. During this time he killed and ate a bald Eagle in order to survive. After several long weeks he was rescued by the Long Arm of the Law. Upon finding the pile of feathers and skeletal remains of the deceased bird of prey the Lawmen told the survivor he would have to face charges in court. In court he explained that he was in a life or death situation and the bird presented itself and without harvesting the bird he would have surely died. The judge found the compassion to drop the charges. After the conclusion of the trial the judge asked one question to the man: "what does bald Eagle taste like?" The man paused for a moment then replied "Better than whale but not as good as tiger."

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X