No announcement yet.

A "True Subsistence", "Fair Chase" Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great write up and good looking country up there, makes me want to go and check it out someday.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Comment

NIce pics and congrats....but why hasn't anyone else picked up on the tongue in cheek sarcasm throughout this thing. Anyone familiar with MT would see it coming.

Comment

Mike, thanks for sharing the pics and story of the Ox hunt. Congrats to your girlfriend. Glad you got some fresh meat for the table, and hide and horns too. That Nosler looks like most all of the ones I've ever pulled out, rarely is the lead still in the front part of partition. Using 130grain in my .270 Win.

Best,
        Mark Richards
        www.residenthuntersofalaska.org

Comment

Originally posted by ihntak View Post
          Can anyone tell me why I can't view the pictures?
          Are you viewing it from work? If so, your employer likely has a filter that blocks certain photo sharing sites. MT's pictures are hosted off-site, so that would probably explain it.

Comment

Great story and pics and a true modern subsistance fair chase hunt
            Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Catch it, kudo's, and I see why you have that handle. You caught the tongue in cheek.
              I promise that her next hunt we will work on the Karma, OK?
              I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
              I have less friends now!!

Comment

Muskox

MT,

This is so timely for me. I am headed up to Shish the 20th of next month to shoot an ox. I am using a 7mm wsm and wasn't sure if that would do the job. I felt pretty comfortable that it would because I have been around the animals near your town before in the summer and they didn't really look that big. I noticed in earlier posts that you rent snow machines. Do you have any connection to do the same in Shish?

Randy

Comment

Nosler Partitions are supposed to loose their front portion - John Nosler designed them to do just that. The fragmenting front portion is designed to produce multiple secondary projectiles while the remaining portion (usually about 64% of original weight) was designed to continue to penetrate more or less as a solid. Your bullet performed exactly as designed producing it's intended end result. Congradulations on the successful hunt. Musk ox is excellent table fare.
                  "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Comment

Originally posted by martentrapper View Post
                    Catch it, kudo's, and I see why you have that handle. You caught the tongue in cheek.
                    I promise that her next hunt we will work on the Karma, OK?

Just promise you won't make her as cynical as you over the years.

Comment

Nice storry.

You can tell you enjoyed it by the way you tell the story.

What does the meat tast like, it is comparable to anything else?

Comment

Good hunt

You live right. Good weather, good woman, good hunting, better eating.

Thanks for the post.
                        Live life and love it
                        Love life and live it

Comment

Bullwinkle, PM heading your way.
                          Catch, she doesn't read this forum so doesn't see the phrases like "karma" or "true subsistence", or the other divisive type things regularly said on here. Should be able to keep the cynicism down on her.
                          Shphtr, thanks. Still unsure of the caliber on larger game.
                          Bbob, the meat is similiar to beef I think, tho somewhat sweeter. The meat along the spine, back straps, tenderloins, ribs etc. goes directly into our freezer. The legs and neck are deboned and some ground into burger, and some to Indian Valley for sausage. I still have a permit to fill and just may do so. The other part of subsistence is sharing so I might fill my tag to provide for others. I'll keep the monetary parts if I do tho.

Comment

really cool pics, mike.
                            Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
                            http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

I like the idea that you have a plan for every item the Ox provides."True subsistance"

Mmmmmmm..........Meat.

Great meat, those Ox, theres a thousand things to do with the stuff. I like Alder smoked dry meat.

Do you carve or make things with the horns?
                              I have a pile of skulls, just havent found a use for them, untill my son made me a set of powder horns from one of his in school, for a Kit built French '69 Charleville Musket repo I shoot for fun , when I have the powder.....

The hides are bedding in my tents, and they are Very warm.

The Qiviute wool is perported to be the lightest, softest of Wools, as well as being the Rarest of North American wools.
                              $$$ Per ounce.
                              Sometime we pick itoff the bushes after the shed in the Spring, and I have pillow cases full of the stuff....

But the Rarest of this rarest wool is what I consitter "The Trophy";

The White Wooly Hairs of the Musk Ox's Balls...~LOL!~

Have you saved yours?

I look forward to your next write up!
                              Thanks!
                              Last edited by strangerinastrangeland; 01-28-2009, 20:18. Reason: because I can.
                              If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Comment

Haven't saved any scrotums yet. Evidence of sex must remain with the meat........hahahaha.
                                Save those horns stranger. They'll make you a rich man in time. I don't have an artistic bone in my body..........but I'm good at finding places to sell dead animal parts! True subsistence, eh?
                                I have always gotten Ox in winter, so hard to do smoking. I should give it a try.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X