Lady seeks guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by upinak View Post
    ...I am looking into a small light weight sled if I want to bring more of the moose back with me, but that is something I haven't seen a whole lot of opinions about.
    I used one of these to drag out a cow elk this past winter.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=cat601052&rid=

I quarted up the cow, loaded it on to this drag, cinched it all up and hauled it out 3 miles in the snow. It weighd about 200 lbs. The first mile was off trail and pretty rugged. The last 2 miles was down hill on a well packed wide trail and a piece of cake. The terrain you have to cover will determine how usefull this would be. Fairly level ground with little to no obstructions and no snow will be difficult. Anything more rugged than that, and carrying will be easier.

Quartering isn't that hard, but for your first time, you will want some help. You might try this excercise on a deer frist. It's good you have some help lined up cause you'll need it. When you walk up to a dead moose it will look immense. Learn to sharpen and rely on your ability to keep your knives sharp. There are a lot of good products to choose from.

I use one of these and they are light and very easy to use.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...307&hasJS=true

I use a few strokes with diamond hone to fine tune it and especially hone the tip of the blade.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...307&hasJS=true

There are numerous saws. Some work well and some dont, depending on the kind of teeth they have. I use a Sierra saw very similar to this Gerber. The wood blade actually works better than the bone blade, but you need the wipe the bone and flesh from the teeth now and then.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...d=cat20778&rid

Last... the field isn't the best place to use something for the firt time.

Don't cut yerself.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

sticky thread

Hey Up,

on the hunt planning topic... there is a great sticky thread on the front page of the hunting fourm for planning.... lots of info about how and where etc... etc...

G

Comment

Fun Thread

Upinak,
        Camai! Great advise and you pose interesting questions. I think you are getting the bases covered.

Montanarifleman is right about a drag. You don't have to have snow. I have 2 sleds made out of molded plastic that can hold at least 3 or 4 full game bags. I drilled more holes and added a bridle that spreads the weight out. I have used a blue tarp on the tundra also. (Back surgery makes you creative) The terrain determines the viability of using something, but when you can, do so. In this area I strongly recommend shooting your moose next to the truck, uphill if possible.:cool:

Think bugs, lots of nasty little bugs. In your ears. In your hair. Bug dope and/or net. Some people wear rubber gloves for the gutting.

Sharpening has been brought up. I have a gypo thingamajig that uses 2 steel washers. Simple, fast and easy to clean. Get something that you will use. I just bought 2 of the Cutco hunters in orange, might be done sharpening as much.

The number one rule to note in your binder is to have fun, everyday. Wobbling thru a hummock filled swamp with 120# on your back might not seem fun at the time, but you'll never forget it. As the pain fades the smile will grow.

But I have a feeling that your fun has already started.
        Last edited by bullbuster; 01-23-2009, 18:37. Reason: space
        Live life and love it
        Love life and live it

Comment

I have used a sled for years. Make sure you shoot the moose above where you plan to pick up. I have no leads on sleds The one i use folds up and can strap onto a back pack. They no longer make that style, that i can find.

Comment

[quote]
            Originally posted by upinak View Post
            and looking to get a 12 gauge, but do not know what type as of yet. I will be scoping them in the next couple of weeks.
            Get a Remington 870, it'll last a lifetime.

I am asking for good techniques for Moose. As that is probably what I will be going for, big game wise at this moment in time.
            Maybe you should consider small game hunting first, then move on to moose and caribou?

Any equipment you can think of that most “new” hunters may not think of.

A freezer. :rolleyes:

Get yourself a GPS and learn how to use it. Don't buy that cheapie Magellan at Sportsmans. It extremely sensitive to cold temps.

Don't go buying a bunch of gear for something you might not end up liking or wanting to do. Get what you need to hunt a season or two, decide if it's something you'll continue to do, THEN make the plunge in to the great gear buy.

And as I have read up on the forums concerning clothing, like the HH Imperitech, is there any other clothing you could recommend?
            Xtra tuffs. Good raingear. Carharts.

Take some decent socks to the sporting goods store of your choice, try on every boot you think might be the right boot, walk them a bit, then decide what's right for you. Break them in BEFORE you go hunting.

Comment

[quote=upstream;420586]

Take some decent socks to the sporting goods store of your choice, try on every boot you think might be the right boot, walk them a bit, then decide what's right for you. Break them in BEFORE you go hunting.

thats some good advice right there...

lots of folks forget to try boots on with the heavy socks they will be using out in the field.
              "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

Packing...

Don't sweat the packing upinak...if you drop a moose I'd be happy to pack it for ya......for a small share of the 'prize' of course...lol.....try not to go it alone, If you drop one, get it cooled and I'm sure you'll have plenty of help to pack it out in no time...heck, you could probably get akdsldog to help if you just attach a beer to a stick and dangle it in front of his nose the whole way back to camp...lol
                ------------------------------------------------
                pull my finger....

Comment

Originally posted by tjm View Post
                  Don't sweat the packing upinak...if you drop a moose I'd be happy to pack it for ya......for a small share of the 'prize' of course...lol.....try not to go it alone, If you drop one, get it cooled and I'm sure you'll have plenty of help to pack it out in no time...heck, you could probably get akdsldog to help if you just attach a beer to a stick and dangle it in front of his nose the whole way back to camp...lol
                  Hmmm does this Carnage go on video as well? How upinak got stuck in the body cavity of a Moose?

tjm, you can always go with me.... not sure about the camera or the boat though.
                  No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Comment

OK as far as hunting moose I have no idea but as far as knives go you might look into http://www.coldsteel.com/huntingandoutdoors.html check out the canadian belt knife and the roach belly for some inexpensive but far from cheap knives

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X