No announcement yet.

Lady seeks guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to hunting and the forum upinak! Sounds like you are off to a great start with your selection of guns and optics. I am not familiar with the Kodi pack of knives but have realized over the years they are kinda like guns some people like one style or brand and others like another. Just get out there and handle multiple knifes and shotguns till you find what you want. I would suggest getting two different knifes as well as a bone saw and good sharpening stone/ system.

Packs: Try on external frame and internal frame packs with a load and see what works best for you. Make sure you do this in the same clothing you would when hunting.

Boots: This is a tough one and takes a bit of trial and error, same thing try them on and walk in them. Some stores will take boots back after being worn and others will not so check that out before buying them.

Feel free to ask any questions on here.

Good luck!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Comment

Advice

Up,
      No matter how you hunt ie. ATV, Flyin, walkin your gonna want to get out this summer and look for ground to hunt.. scout scout scout... find an area that will allow you to get some elevation so you can glass, once you find a moose go after it..

I would recommend you hunt a non restriction area at least the first year for two reasons, one. its always nice bringing something home. two you dont have to get all pannicked wondering if your judging your moose properly.. Use the first few times you go out to look at the moose and start learning how to judge so you know your harvisting a legal animal.

Cant stress enough to know where you are and read the regs.

Suggest you hunt with somebody. youve read it previously, but harvesting a moose is no joke.

Get some nice game bags, a wyoming saw and a small ax. oh and more than one knife.

Dont shoot a moose in the pond or lake unless you want alot of trouble and work.

Make sure someone knows where your going, when you left, when your gonna return and what to do if you dont.

Anyways, hope this helps
      Good luck

Comment

Hodge, I am signed up. Can't wait and yes I did get the Field dressing class. I wanted to do the pulk as well but I think I will wait for that one next year. I will look into the Kershaw.

Bronco, someone told me internal pack aren't as efficient for loads when you go hunting. What is your opinion. I can lift more then what most think I can. I am medium build I think, but I can pick up quite a bit.

Dave, wasn't planning on the river/pond shoot for a little while. I would rather become proficient on land/frozen ground before I venture into that area. I have a copy of the regs and looking at them, but then they can change year to year.

Awesome advice, please keep it coming.
        No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Comment

I call BS not that there is anything wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by upinak View Post
            I was thinking the outdoors edge Kodi pak. But I can be steered in a different direction.

Up i have two sets of them and love them greatly. start by getting some video's from Sportsman's whs... and watch them all summer i pull mine out from time to time to practice calling... the wife and kids do the very best cow calls i have heard... get a good hunting buddy and have fun..
            "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

Originally posted by pa18tony View Post
              I call BS not that there is anything wrong with that.

whats Bs PA? you don't think a lady should ask questions? we have had enough negativity on this site to last a long time and we are all tired of it... unless i mistake your post, that is...

I have been talking to Upinak on pm for some time now, so don't ruin this for her.

thanks
              "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

Ah what do you know Vince, Really though I've never tryed one.

Comment

Ok like i said there is nothing wrong with that. I am just being taken over by (cabin fever).

Comment

Pretrip planning is paramount. Make sure you have what you need to survive. A successful hunt never goes as planned, there is always some little quirk that can turn a happy hunt into a very ugly situation. Next is time, plan on several days in the field. You will spend the first few learning the game and watching. I wish you goodluck and hope that you will report your fortunes to us..
                    "No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by upinak View Post
                      Bronco, someone told me internal pack aren't as efficient for loads when you go hunting. What is your opinion. I can lift more then what most think I can. I am medium build I think, but I can pick up quite a bit.

I am obviously not Bronco, but I have used both internal and external frame packs. IMO the internal frame packs are generally more comfortable especialy if you get a good one like a Mystery Ranch. You can load well over 100 lbs of boned meat into an internal, depending on the size pack you get. The advantage of an external would be you can carry whole quarters easier.

Good Hunting.
                      "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
                      ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
                        I am obviously not Bronco, but I have used both internal and external frame packs. IMO the internal frame packs are generally more comfortable especialy if you get a good one like a Mystery Ranch. You can load well over 100 lbs of boned meat into an internal, depending on the size pack you get. The advantage of an external would be you can carry whole quarters easier.

Good Hunting.
                        I think you covered it pretty well MontanaRifleman. Then again I am a bit biased since I have only used internals for hunting.

Look for multiple compartments/ pockets, detachable top flap that can be used as a day pack or fanny pack, and ability to strap your rifle, tent poles, or trekking poles, etc to the side of the pack.
                        http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Comment

Tony I'd have to agree with Vince here, that was uncalled for. Up is legit and wanting help. Im doing things that I can do as an outdoors woman myself to help her out but dont you think it might help if she had more than one opinion....And to think, I thought you were bigger than that.....Cabin fever or not, you should be ashamed. Up, no worries, hubby and I will do what we can to help out in the area's we are well versed in, you'll find that SOME men just don't like women who can think for themselves.

Originally posted by pa18tony View Post
                          Ok like i said there is nothing wrong with that. I am just being taken over by (cabin fever).
                          "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Comment

Find a friend

I would recommend you read as much as you can, keep asking questions like you have here, and find someone to mentor you.

If you find someone you know or trust, or get to know someone here it can help you in many ways. The Becoming an Outdoors Woman classes will be great, but no substitute for following someone actually in the woods to show you the ropes. It can also save you time and money if they are a regular hunter as they probably have tents, knives, and other equipment that you both can use to see what you like before you make all the investments only to find out you wasted your money (Like all the junk I bought and no longer use because it broke or I found something better).

You may want to consider an easier first hunt for something like caribou, or even some small game or birding to get started just learning how to read tracks and other game sign before you move to bigger conquests.

Glad to hear your interest and I hope you are starting a path towards a rewarding future in the outdoors. I'm sure you will get lots of good advice here and keep the questions coming.

Fuse

Comment

Equipment

I would also suggest you use the search here. There have been lots of threads on game bags, knives, hunting packs, boots, rain gear, tents, etc. There is a lot of experience here with all that equipment and lots of folks have weighed in on what they like and don't like.

Fuse

Comment

Originally posted by Fuse View Post
                                I would also suggest you use the search here. There have been lots of threads on game bags, knives, hunting packs, boots, rain gear, tents, etc. There is a lot of experience here with all that equipment and lots of folks have weighed in on what they like and don't like.

Fuse
                                Fuse, I have been looking at the threads for all the good information I can get. But everyone's opinion is different. And there are a lot of threads to look through...

I plan on going for the rabbits/bird and move up. I am not in a huge hurry, but it is always good to plan ahead and get the items you need for later.

Thanks for the welcome. Good hunting.

up
                                No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X