2 Juneau Guides charged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Juneau Guides charged

Read an article in the Newsminer on this. One used to contribute quite a bit on this site. I even seen their booth at SCI in Reno. Never seems like the sentences are harsh enough. Should lose guiding license for life.

Details?

How about some details? A link? A summation?

Comment

Sad day for all of us

http://www.newsminer.com/news/2009/j...des-sentenced/

Comment

http://www.newsminer.com/news/2009/j...des-sentenced/
        We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Comment

I thought the cops where the only ones getting these hard sentences! What a bunch of ****!!!!!

Troy
          Last edited by Brian M; 01-16-2009, 17:34. Reason: language

Comment

Those guys were charged a while back. Took quite some time for sentencing. The dude had a good website with some nice write ups and pics from TMA, DCUA and Wrangell Mts. sheep hunts they had done.
            sigpic

Comment

So why is it a sad day? They violated the law, pled quilty, probably to a lesser crime and are being punished. The sentences seem to fit the crimes. Guides should be held to a high standard, after all, at one time they also were ones that enforced the game laws.

Comment

sentencing

So these clowns can still hunt? The article said they cant hunt or guide commercially while on probation. So as i read it they can still hunt. What a bunch of crap. they should be band from guiding for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hillbilly

Comment

Very sad

Professional guides that willfully and knowingly violate hunting and fishing laws should be punished to the full extent allowed for the crime and have their guiding licenses revoked indefinitely. In other words...you blew your chance and will never again get a hunting license for Alaska. Anything beyond that is simply a game of cat and mouse between them and regulation enforcement. I donít necessarily ALWAYS agree with the regulations set forth as many of us Iím sure may not but based on the article written it seems pretty apparent they knew what was going on and was hoping not to get caught.

This activity canít be tolerated and I can't imagine anyone here will honestly disagree? There should be a ZERO ď0Ē tolerance policy for this type of behavior.

-Tim
                  Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Comment

For many reasons

:confused:
                    Originally posted by Bill S. View Post
                    So why is it a sad day? They violated the law, pled quilty, probably to a lesser crime and are being punished. The sentences seem to fit the crimes. Guides should be held to a high standard, after all, at one time they also were ones that enforced the game laws.
                    We all can be sad. These are licensed professionals, who know the law or they wouldn't be licensed. This was one violation where they actually got caught; doesn't mean it was the only time. Maybe this was the first time, I can't judge that. However, the did violate a species limit according to the newsminer article; that is equivalent to poaching. Outside of subsistence or survival intentions, poaching has never created a "good" day for anyone in the hunting industry.

The punishment sets a very bad example. It sets the risk-reward ration very low. Seems to set precedent that will not prevent this type of activity due to the lack of severity in sentencing. Small fine and get your license back in two years?? Other than shame, that sentence has done nothing to deter this activity by others!

Comment

Originally posted by wv_2008 View Post
                      :confused:

We all can be sad. These are licensed professionals, who know the law or they wouldn't be licensed. This was one violation where they actually got caught; doesn't mean it was the only time. Maybe this was the first time, I can't judge that. However, the did violate a species limit according to the newsminer article; that is equivalent to poaching. Outside of subsistence or survival intentions, poaching has never created a "good" day for anyone in the hunting industry.

The punishment sets a very bad example. It sets the risk-reward ration very low. Seems to set precedent that will not prevent this type of activity due to the lack of severity in sentencing. Small fine and get your license back in two years?? Other than shame, that sentence has done nothing to deter this activity by others!
                      Clarification: I think in your first statement your reference to "sad" seemed like you were sad they got punished IMO. Your second post clears up that misconception.

KRS

Comment

Originally posted by tdelarm View Post
                        Professional guides that willfully and knowingly violate hunting and fishing laws should be punished to the full extent allowed for the crime and have their guiding licenses revoked indefinitely. In other words...you blew your chance and will never again get a hunting license for Alaska. Anything beyond that is simply a game of cat and mouse between them and regulation enforcement. I donít necessarily ALWAYS agree with the regulations set forth as many of us Iím sure may not but based on the article written it seems pretty apparent they knew what was going on and was hoping not to get caught.

This activity canít be tolerated and I can't imagine anyone here will honestly disagree? There should be a ZERO ď0Ē tolerance policy for this type of behavior.

-Tim
                        I agree 100% This wasn't a grey area or misinterpretation of the rules.
                        If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
                        Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Greed

This wasn't a misinterpretation of the regs. or a case of "I thought I was outside boundry line" it was GREED; PLAIN and SIMPLE. They knew if they didn't get caught they got paid. I'm sure they did get paid by some insuspecting hunter, who unknowingly violated the law as well.
                          Seems to me the fines barely would have covered the guide fees, thus the guides in question just paid the fine with stolen money. To me the convicted parties should be on a chain gang picking up trash on the side of the road in Arizona not sitting at home watching Mighty Mouse with the kids.
                          As this was a willfully conducted act against the hunters of this state, they should never have the ability to repeat these actions again.

Comment

thought i saw a yr or two ago where one of them was charged guiding outside the hunting area around katzehin river for goats????? anyone else hear about this also??? loss of privlages for 2 years, doesn't seem like much

Comment

Federal Court

So this was federal charges (Lacey act)? Feds like to deal with crimes that they consider big and treat what they consider lesser crimes with a slap on the wrist. Anytime you deal with federal charges that don't have mandatory min. sentences you can end up with this stuff. I do not see why if these are federal charges that the state does not charge them as well and take there licenses for even longer. I know I saw that happen a lot in the lower 48 when the state felt the feds dropped the ball they would step in and charge them with a state crime as well. Or the state should pass a law that bans guides from guiding for life with a violation of this nature and then if they are charged in federal court they can also be charged with that crime b/c Federal Court has the ability to adopt state law for the purpose of charging someone with a crime.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X