Airplane shooting wolves?????????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airplane shooting wolves?????????????

I came across a picture in the field and stream classic big game photo's from there archives.

Picture 13 shows former govener Jay S. Hammond (1974-1982) standing with 4 wolf pelts. My question, did airplane hunting of wolves help the caribou move back into the Yukon-Kuskowin-Tanana areas that they have been absent of caribou for so long?
    Hammond was a shooter. The article talked about shooting from a plane leading the wolf in negative lead since the plane is moving faster than the wolf.

Not only did airplane hunting help caribou.moose numbers in the past, it continues to help today.
    On top of that.................it's just plane FUN...............pun intended!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Comment

It would be fun to pop a bunch from the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
        I believe that statements like this are part of the reason this type of game management is looked at so harshly by some.
        I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Comment

I guess

If the aerial shooting were done with a frown on ones face, and a tear coming from the eye, then it would be more acceptable to certain people.
          Or I guess one can feel how ever they feel and just be careful how they express themselves and to who (whom) when they get into coverstation with others they don't know.
          Yes, just because we feel a certain way about something ,,and then say it does not make it PC..:eek:. That is just the way it is,,,
          what does PC mean anyway?
          Proper conversation
          peoples crap
          personel censorship

Its like proper bedside manners from a doctor ..I guess, It goes down a lot easier if we sugar coat the truth..

Max
          When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
            The whole aspects seems fun to me too; it can't get much better than that! Combining love of the outdoor, flying skill and shooting. Wish I could have participated in pred control. Anyone know how they have done this year? Seems like the snow (lack of) wouldn't translate into too many kills yet.

Tim

Comment

What I don't get is why you have to land and shoot using a shotgun in some GMU's and you can use a high power rifle and shoot from the plane in others. Any clarification?

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by tccak71 View Post
                What I don't get is why you have to land and shoot using a shotgun in some GMU's and you can use a high power rifle and shoot from the plane in others. Any clarification?

Tim
                I haven't heard about this. What GMU's are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by tccak71 View Post

Tim

All the GMU's that allow aerial hunting allow shotguns- if you're properly permitted. Never heard of anyone shooting from the air with a rifle, that would be some skill.
                  Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

Comment

Well, being PC and all...

...I've been trying to get folks to use the term "aerial gunning." We really need to differentiate between what is a "control" program and what is "hunting" imo. Hunting involves fair chase principles and chasing wolves from an airplane and gunning them down is not "hunting."

Tim, the SDA programs that allow aerial gunning are only authorized in five specific areas right now that have ongoing wolf-control programs. Not sure but I don't think the state requires you to use only shotgun; someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Have heard of some pilots that had cockpit actuated semi-autos mounted on struts. Also know of one pilot who doesn't always use a gunner and shoots from front seat himself, not sure just how or if he uses shotgun or rifle. There are some incredible Alaska bush pilots out there particpating in the programs. Some amazing stories too, as you could imagine, like a gunner shooting the tip of prop off. I know a couple pilots/gunners who went down in the past going after wolves from the air; it's a pretty dangerous activity really where you're often cross-controlling aircraft and near stall speed. And gunner has to be careful of course not to shoot prop or struts, fairly narrow shooting window. Takes lots of skill for both pilot and gunner, and it is real cold for the gunner too going 50mph in winter and leaning out the door.

Last I heard, early on in November there were fair amount of wolves taken in 20E...but nothing like when the program began and wolves were used to hearing super cubs but didn't associate them with buckshot.
                    Mark Richards
                    www.residenthuntersofalaska.org

Comment

People, please, you seem to miss the question? It's not about airplane shooting but herd expansion. Has this worked? Can the land feed this herd or even a larger herd?

Comment

The question was answered in the second post. Yes it helped.
                        Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Comment

Great point about semantics...

Originally posted by bushrat View Post
                          ...I've been trying to get folks to use the term "aerial gunning." We really need to differentiate between what is a "control" program and what is "hunting" imo. Hunting involves fair chase principles and chasing wolves from an airplane and gunning them down is not "hunting."

Tim, the SDA programs that allow aerial gunning are only authorized in five specific areas right now that have ongoing wolf-control programs. Not sure but I don't think the state requires you to use only shotgun; someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Have heard of some pilots that had cockpit actuated semi-autos mounted on struts. Also know of one pilot who doesn't always use a gunner and shoots from front seat himself, not sure just how or if he uses shotgun or rifle. There are some incredible Alaska bush pilots out there particpating in the programs. Some amazing stories too, as you could imagine, like a gunner shooting the tip of prop off. I know a couple pilots/gunners who went down in the past going after wolves from the air; it's a pretty dangerous activity really where you're often cross-controlling aircraft and near stall speed. And gunner has to be careful of course not to shoot prop or struts, fairly narrow shooting window. Takes lots of skill for both pilot and gunner, and it is real cold for the gunner too going 50mph in winter and leaning out the door.

Last I heard, early on in November there were fair amount of wolves taken in 20E...but nothing like when the program began and wolves were used to hearing super cubs but didn't associate them with buckshot.
                          It surely isn't hunting, as fair chase doesn't apply.

I thought in 13 you had to land & shoot w/shotguns only, I may be wrong though.

Bud Conkel (sic?) talked about flying and shooting at the same time; shot the prop on his J3/PA11 too.

I imagine that the aerial gunning will pick up and more wolves will be taken if more snow comes this spring.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
                            I haven't heard about this. What GMU's are you talking about?
                            Parts of Units 19, 20, & 13 that I know of.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by haff202 View Post
                              People, please, you seem to miss the question? It's not about airplane shooting but herd expansion. Has this worked? Can the land feed this herd or even a larger herd?

It couldn't hurt, thats for sure. A sustained program will lead to more moose/caribou; seems like that's what happened in the good 'ole days.

I'd like to know what happened after they established the predator free zone out by McGrath. I haven't heard anything about it since it was initiated.

Tim
                              I obviously don't know how (or if its possible) to quote multiple members at once.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X