No announcement yet.

Adak Caribou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any info you have on transportation would be greatly appreciated! Our plans were to get there and ask one of the locals for a lift. We are prepared for a whole lotta hiking but if another means becomes available it would just be a bonus. I would like to make this trip as cost effective as possible, and I know there are alot of cheaper trips for caribou elsewhere but Adak just seems like a really interesting place to hunt and hopefully we will come out of it with some good stories.

Comment

CGSwimmer

I am just heading out of the office but will pm you in the AM with some info.
      19' Lowe Roughneck
      90/65 Honda 4 stroke
      Outboard Jet

Comment

I am another former citizen of Adak, but I never took a 'bou out there. Just never worked out with the small herd of less than 800 at that time. Unless you were on the south side where the animals were more concentrated you just got lucky on a couple of them walking by.

As to the reindeer vs caribou question it is easy. Reindeer are from Russia/Siberia or Northern Europe. Caribou are from North America. There has been enough evolutionary time separating them that each species has gone through a slight mutation resulting in these genetic changes. If you really want to know the actual differences then read this. If your head explodes don't blame me. If you want the synopsis and not all the genetic gobbligook then re read the second sentence of this paragraph. That is a as simple as it gets without a Phd in genetics.

Many people confuse the history of the Adak caribou with that of St Mathew reindeer and their die off.

The herd on Adak was from a wild caribou population in Nelchina. This is a good story about the events.

Comment

Ak ray

Very nice read and clarification, 1 point that you shed some light on also regarding hunting before compared to now is that the caribou population is in the thousands now instead of the hundreds then which again makes them more accesable.
          19' Lowe Roughneck
          90/65 Honda 4 stroke
          Outboard Jet

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X