Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know of a good Skull Cleaning Place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tundratangirl
    replied
    Skull Cleaning

Originally posted by kashwitna View Post
    Does anyone have contact information for any of the guys mentioned that have a beetle colony and live around the anchorage area? I've spent a few minutes shopping around and wasn't able to come up with a phone number, any help would be appreciated.
    Yes you can drop it off at Hunter Fisher Taxidermy, yes I said Hunter Fisher Taxidermy, New owners and they have a beetle colony out in the valley at Tundra Tanning and Taxidermy. We will soon have a good colony in Anchorage too.

Leave a comment:

• pegasis0066
    replied
    Ditto on Skulls Unlimited. Outstanding work.

I have 5 or so skulls of bears and mountain lions, and the one done by Skulls Unlimited stands out. Perfectly cleaned and virtually no stains. I just sent a bison skull to them - $140, I think.

By the way, the show Dirty Jobs had a segment on Skulls Unlimited... it was pretty neat. They had a Blue Whale skull come in on an 18 wheeler from a museum to be cleaned.

Leave a comment:

• stid2677
    replied
    DIY

You can DIY. I did about five skulls last year. Here is a link to the thread.
    Bearslayer, with a moose skull because of its size it would be best to use the cold water maceration method. Which is soaking it in water for a long time. Keep the antlers out or they will water stain. Here are a couple links. I used this method to do my caribou skull this year.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=19666
    http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/natresources/az1144.pdf

Just to back up what has been said, the power washers do work great. Just watch out for loose teeth when washing.
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• propbender
    replied
    you should go see yukon over at tall tales taxidermy, he does a very nice job with a power washer, yep a power washer,

Leave a comment:

• harterstaxidermy
    replied
    Skull Cleaning

Stop in my shop, Im in Fairbanks and take care of you.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Mtn Wx
    replied
    Skulls & Bones

If you are willing to drive to Soldotna, I would recommend Skulls & Bones by Kenny Jones. A friend and I both had bear skulls done last year and we are both pleased with the results. Kenny is a great guy too; learned some new fleshing techniques and got a tour of the beetle colonies when I dropped the skulls off. His number is (907) 260-6592.

Way to dig up an old thread!

Bryan

Leave a comment:

• Phil
    replied
    Web Site

The web site for Skulls Unlimited is: www.skullsunlimited.com

I've had a black bear and an antelope skull done by them VERY pleased with both. They don't do skulls for $10 but they do quality work.

Phil

Leave a comment:

• kashwitna
    replied
    Anchorage Area?

Does anyone have contact information for any of the guys mentioned that have a beetle colony and live around the anchorage area? I've spent a few minutes shopping around and wasn't able to come up with a phone number, any help would be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• stevelyn
    replied
    Sand fleas. If you know someone along the coast have them bury it on the beach or submerge it in a crab pot.

Leave a comment:

• Matt
    replied
    I'd recommend akpredator. He has a beetle colony and I had him do the skull on my Kodiak brown bear. I'm very impressed with the results and couldn't have been happier. I'll try to post pictures of how my skull turned out.

Leave a comment:

• Nain
    replied
    Alaska Skulls in Chugiak. Beetle method, with large enclosure whole sale taxidermy prices. alaskaskulls@yahoo.com

Leave a comment:

• AKFishOn
    replied
    Second Vote for Skulls Unlimited

I really liked the Black Bear from Skulls Unlimited I had done.

Leave a comment:

• Wapiti57
    replied
    Skulls Unlimited

Gunner - had my first black bear skull done by the beetles. What an amazing job they do. Taxidermist sent them to a place called Skulls Unlimited. Certianly not the cheapest way to go, but the results are outstanding, in my opinion. What I was most impressed with was how every single delicate nasal cavity was preserved. Whenever I've tried to boil/bleach stuff myself, pieces always come off the skull. But the beetles left everything intact. I'm using them again for my first Sitka blacktail for a European. Not sure of all the cost yet, but they are fairly reasonable. I know they have a website so it might be something you can do stright with them.

Leave a comment:

• BearSlayer
    replied
    Moose Skull

I am looking for someone capable of doing a moose skull...... Anyone know of someone around Fairbanks?

thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• Terry
    replied
    Beetles

Its easy choice, Beetles are the only way to go.

Terry

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X