Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Test your moose antler spread knowledge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test your moose antler spread knowledge.

Hello again. Here is a good chance for all you folks to do some guessing.You have the live shot and then the at your feet shot.
    The first photo is the bull I found for my 14 year old to fill the freezer with. In this photo he has 72 or so hours to live. The bull moved about a half mile from Sunday to Wednesday, when the hunt started.
    The second is of the bull at your feet, with a happy 14 year old proud of the fact he is helping to feed the family.
    If your curious he used a Savage Model 99 in .308 with 180 grain bullets from about 65 yards away. Lung shot, the bull never took another step.
    I'd like to see how many folks have a good idea of spreads on moose, and thought this was as good as a chance to see as any. I'll be back in a few days and give it up.
    The third shot is of the three of us and the second bull we killed on the hunt.

The boy's bull is 57"-58"
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Comment

Yeah, I'd say around 58 also. Beautiful animal, good going...

Comment

bull

55 1/2 is my guess

Comment

Nice one!

56" would be me Guess.

Comment

54" and what a trophy! Nice job!

Comment

I'd say its a monster compared to my fork/3point. I'm guessing 49".

Comment

Looks like 55" to 58" to me. I thought that maybe 8" forehead, so: 24" at one side + 24" at the other side + 8" forehead = 56" or so.

Comment

So you and Joe are shooting moose that big and leaving the capes in the field? Man that is alot of college education money to throw away for a white boy..............haha!
                  If the season started on thur. and I didn't see any racks that big around your house this year..........must be last years moose. If the distance between the horn bases is 10 in. then that bull your boy shot is at least 62.
                  I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
                  I have less friends now!!

Comment

64". Nice bull.

Comment

57 1/2

Nice Bull.
                      Living the Alaskan Dream
                      Gary Keller
                      Anchorage, AK

Comment

I say 58"-60"

Comment

60"er
                          nice!
                          Proud to be an American!

Comment

Nice Moose

I am still learning to judge the spread, but I would say between 62-63 inches on your son's bull. This is based on the ear spread of 22 inches. As far as your bull I would guess closer to 68 inches but hard to tell since the bull is laying down.

Imauspilot

Comment

I'm no expert on judging antler spread, but I feel like most people are over-estimating the size here. From the live-shot, I was thinking only 52 or so...but the close-up shot makes it seem a bit bigger, so I'll say 55".

-Brian

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X