How rare is a double shovel bull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How rare is a double shovel bull

I hunted caribou this week at haul road. I got a really nice bull (My first one) And we saw a lot of double shovel bulls. I had always heard that a double shovel bull is a 1 in 3000 bull. With the amount we saw, I was wondering if this is true.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

No, it's far more common than that. I don't have hard numbers for you, but I also noticed a lot of large bulls with double shovels last year up on the Haul Road. On that note, antler genetics vary from herd to herd. In some areas 2 shovels will be more common, while in others it may be fairly rare. Perhaps someone else can give a better % estimate.

-Brian

Comment

shovels of the double variety...

They are far more common than 1 in 3000. I have heard an estimate of 15% for double shovels.

Our family has taken 11 bull 'bou over the last ten years--two had doubles, just about on average.

fk
      Proud to be an American!

Comment

I have seen more double sholves up on the haul rd. then the caribou out of Kotzebue.
        Living the Alaskan Dream
        Gary Keller
        Anchorage, AK

Comment

A buddy took a double shovel off the Denali Highway this year.
          The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Comment

2 shovels

I have always heard that it was 1:5,000. I don't believe it either. I have limited experience with caribou, but they seem far more common than that.

Tim

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X