FYI: Eating grizzly meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI: Eating grizzly meat

I know that a lot of folks will not eat grizzly meat, so I thought I'd pass this along. Mind you, this bear was STUFFING himself w/ rotten salmon, so this is probably as bad as a griz gets; these were hind legs, btw. I just got my meat from the butcher; hot dogs, pepperoni and Italian sausage. The dogs have a "flavor" which reflects what my partner described as "organ meat" when we sampled it in the field. The flavor far exceeds liver, but is behind beef dogs that you get at the stadium while watching the Browns beat the Giants. Unfortunately, those were one-time hot dogs, never to be seen again. The pepperoni sticks are pretty hot for me, but probably just right for most folks. Good, just a tad hot. The sausage is pretty much like any sausage I've ever eaten; perhaps a tad strong, but pretty good. I tasted the spices (Oregano-like) more than the meat. Now I am really sorry that I did not take any meat from the spring griz I got a few years ago; I bet it would have been real tasty. Anyone else have any griz meat comments?

I eat Grizz as well the one we got this spring was in full rut and had JUST gotten his tail kicked by a sow... he was tough and a little strong on the gamy side.. sausage he is ..... kind of like a bull moose in rut... not bad just different.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

wow you guys make it sound sooooo yummy....lol
      i've had it once and it was good, but for health reasons i won't eat it agian or pig. something about eating animals that have bacteria in the meat already...yummmy.
      Www.blackriverhunting.com
      Master guide 212

Comment

it's not chicken...

Simply for "gee-whiz purposes" I have eaten bworn bear meat two times. It was not great. It was not good enough to eat again. Its does not "taste like chicken". It is not "the other white meat". I'm not eating it again.
        Respectfully,
        Dennis
        AKTAGS
        Imagine (It's easy if you try)
        …miles and miles of mountains…wide expanses of tundra...remote wild waters…
        (Whisper words of wisdom) Let It Be

Comment

Best left to the ravens and magpies.

Comment

I have eaten spring grizzly that was just as good as black bear. As far as bacteria goes, you eat it all the time. Better when well done however
            Wasilla Real Estate News
            www.valleymarket.com

Comment

Cooked Wrong?

(Its does not "taste like chicken". It is not "the other white meat".)

I thought every thing tasted like chicken if you cooked it right? I personaly do not eat it, but will eat Blackies.
              sigpic2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Comment

Bear are best shot for reasons other than eating. Thats one meat i wont eat.

Comment

Not eating

Right now my freezer is full of...in order from tastiest to tasty

Buffalo (a friend was feeling philanthropic)
                  Sheep
                  Deer
                  Moose (even though he one of the best I've eaten)
                  Goat

Sorry, but grizzly doesn't even approach my radar...
                  Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

Comment

I ate meat off of one spring brownie & it was fine, Several others all tasted it at the same time & no one found it offensive. If it all tastes like that I shure wouldn't toss it.
                    Love good black bear. My wife's moose roast was my family's favorite meal until she cooked her 1st black bear roast last year. Now they lean that way although the moose is still almost neck-n-neck.
                    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
                    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Comment

Griz sure is tasty!

I'm not a big fan of eating Griz, though I ate a significant amount of this year's spring boar. Over the campfire it was (of course) the best meat ever; but then again so are dirt pancakes in the field. I was absolutely amazed by it's taste (as was my hunting partner) that we carved off a significant amount that he brought home. He made jerky, steaks, and roasts. (I've since heard not to make jerky from bear as it does not kill the bacteria/parasites)? Too late for me, but I'll not eat it again because of the associated health risks. If fish and game recommends not eating it, (that's what the dude told me over the phone) and you know they are sticklers on harvest requirements, then there must be a real possibility of infection. With that being said, I'm sticking to sheep, moose, caribou, etc.; and besides there is no way my wife will let me put bear meat in the freezer (that's the first line she's ever drawn). It was sure tasty though....

Comment

I have watched natives eat blue seal meat while turning their nose up at griz,thats good enough for me.
                        Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

hatcher pass

I've eaten parts of 2 spring griz from Hatcher's Pass. Both were excellent, rivalling good black bear for flavor. If you enjoy spring blackies, dont' pass up spring griz. As for bacteria, we carry E. Coli in our own guts: all meat carries E. coli and other bacteria. USDA sets "allowable levels" for all bacteria, including E. Coli. There is not a zero tolerance policy, 'cause its impossible. It is only when those bacteria are allowed to flourish that it becomes a problem. Heck, spinach and tomatoes were responsible for huge E. coli outbreaks! In meat plants, proper hide removal is most important for keeping bacteria levels down, then proper cleaning of any foreign matter on the meat, and prompt cooling. Proper hide removal means keeping as much of the junk thats on the hide on the hide, not on the meat. Follow the same steps with bear meat, and it will be fine. Don't get a bunch of crap and gut material on the meat, remove any that you do see by trimming, and cool the meat quickly. Freezing meat will kill a lot of bugs, and whatever processing technique you use, just heat it to 160* and it will kill any remaining critters. When you're eating your meal, whether bear, moose, deer, or any commercially obtained meat, just think of it as a "multi-cultural" meal.

Comment

It's not e-coli that is a concern with under cooked pork and bear, it's trichinosis. http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00689.html
                            "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Comment

Mix enough pork with it and anything tastes good, even merganser!
                              I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X