Build your own bear fence??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build your own bear fence??

Does anyboy have plans for building your own bear fence? The retail ones are a bit pricey.
    Thanks
    Bruce

Bear fence

Bruce, I bought one on ebay for $45. Haven't tried it out yet but it looks just like the pricey ones. Mike

Comment

bear fence

How does ebay list bear fences? I have been looking for weeks and can never find one.

Comment

Bear fence

I don't remember off hand how it was listed. I'm at work untill noon. When I get home I'll look at what brand it was and post a reply. Mike

Comment

Go to www.Google.com and type in "Tom Smith Electric Fence" and click on the links there. There is a complete 'how to' guide complete with distributors and stores that carry the goods as well as prices and such.

IMHO - if anyone knows anything about electric fences it's Tom.

Comment

I did a search for the fence on ebay. Nothing. All it says on the package is Electric Garden Fence. Hope it helps.

Comment

Tom Smith plans can't find

Well I looked and looked and still did not find plans for the TOM SMITH ELECTRIC FENCE. I see Tom is selling one for $300. Can I get a link to a set of plans?
              Thanks
              Bruce

Comment

Bruce - check your pm's.

Comment

Can you post that?

Originally posted by Akboondocker
                  Bruce - check your pm's.
                  Hey, do you guys have plans for an electric fence, that could be posted here?

-Mike
                  Michael Strahan
                  Site Owner
                  Alaska Hunt Consultant
                  1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Fence Fetish

I recently put together a system.

I was looking for Power, Versatility, Ease of use and Econmical...

I chose the yellow jacket made by Zareba. The controller will run on 4 - standard 1.5volt D-cells, a 6 volt or a 12 volt battery. I even ran it on 4 - 3 volt lithium Dcells which made for a light weight 12 volt system.

It puts out around 6000volts on the standard D cells and over 8000 volts on the lithium 3 volt D-cells... I have done some testing but have not run it long term on a 6 volt or 12 volt lead acid or dry cell....

The standard D-cells ran 13 days and started trailing off... The lithium D-cells ran at least as long but at the end dropped off quickly... I liked the lithium because they hold up better in cold temps and have a much greater shelf life. They are pricey though...

I use 9 wire poly wire and when needed have fiber glass poles...

I bought the whole set up at Fence Imporium in Palmer..

It really all depends on how technical you want to get... I'm sure there are lighter units out there but I don't plan on using mine in sheep country.. I primarily use it to protect my transportation and/or shelter (non-food items) while floating or leaving a gear cache for several days...

Hope this helps.

Comment

Mike - I'm not able to paste a word doc to this forum. Any suggestions on how put it on the forum? It is quite a large document. Very informative.

Comment

Electric fences last fall on Kodiak

I set up two electric fences for Kodiak hunt last fall. One using the Zareba yellow jacket ordered online ($75.00). One using the Fi-shok that takes two D batteries ($45.00) . I bought step in posts, ground rods and poly rope & tester from Ak mill feed and garden in Anchorage. Ten days in October on Kodiak and never changed Batteries in either charger. The Fi- Shok consistently tested at 1000 to 1500 volts higher output. Electro-bear guard.com has retail kits with the Zareba charger. Lots of info there also including test video. Two bears at our camp that we know of, One was 12' outside fence one morning but to my knowledge nothing touched the fence. 17 game animals in rubbermaid totes sealed well on the ground in one fence with no disturbance. If I bought more it would be the less expensive Fi- shok unit, it could be set up for $70.00 to $85.00 at AK mill feed depending on post needs.

Comment

ground control

One thing I'd wanted to add... A good ground is a MUST... Gravel, glacier silt or sand and perma frost are NOT your friend... In one spot last year I opted to suspend the fence 12" over water around a floating cataraft because the gravel and glacier silt was a horrible conductor....

Before you set up do a few test ref the conductivity of the terra firma.... If you are not getting a good ground you may opt to use an alternating pos/neg line vs a ground rod....

Comment

Electric Fence Article

Originally posted by Akboondocker
                            Mike - I'm not able to paste a word doc to this forum. Any suggestions on how put it on the forum? It is quite a large document. Very informative.
                            Boondocker,

Is the article copyrighted? If not, email it to me and we'll get it posted here; perhaps in another area it it's too big.

-Mike
                            Michael Strahan
                            Site Owner
                            Alaska Hunt Consultant
                            1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Mike - check your email. I sent you the word docs. Hopefully you'll have better luck posting them than I. There is a lot of useful info in there.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X