Dalton Highway Caribou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caribou

I just got back. Drove to 10 miles past Toolik on Friday night. Saw some around Toolik at night and a few hunters. I hunted 6 hours on Sat. and took a nice bull. Probably saw 1,500 - 2,000 caribou and some awesome bulls. Lot more caribou on Sunday all 20 miles north of Toolik. Then they started to thin out and it was had to find a group of more than ten. Still some around though. Drove back on Tues. and hardly saw a thing.

Nice herd of Muskox near Sag DOT on the east side of the highway. Road was being graded in several spots. Worst area was just over the pass. Lots of rain and muddy conditions. Bugs were not bad at all as Alaskan bugs go.

Great trip!

Please use "D" or "E" rated tires. Spotted one vehicle driver that had to hitch hike with a spare tire to Coldfoot for repairs. Fuel in Coldfoot was $3.59.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Fuel...

Dave...how about a pic? Congrats on the bull.

As of this afternoon it looks like unleaded fuel in Coldfoot is $3.69.

Comment

4x4 or 2x4

Would a 2 wheel drive truck be good enough to drive up that far or would you guys recommend 4 wheel drive.

Comment

If

If you watch yourself turning around in tight places and watch the shoulders when pulling off on the edge you will be fine with a 2 wheel.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Dalton Hwy Caribou...

Just did the Dalton run to Deadhorse last week. Left Anchorage at 6:30 am and we were camping north of Coldfoot by 8pm. The road was fantastic (about a third of it is paved) and we were averaging about 45mph in my honda civic. We didn't run into a single bad section of road the whole way, although you do have to keep an eye out for potholes. I've driven many roads here in Anchorage that are in much, much worse condition.

All of the caribou we saw were on the north side of the pass, as others have said. No big herds, but strung along about a 20 mile section of the pipeline. We didn't see any that ventured far from the pipeline. From what I could tell, the bowhunters were stalking to the pipeline (about 100 yards from the hwy) and using that to sneak up for a shot. Saw 3 or 4 very nice bulls (still in velvet) being loaded onto trucks.

And hardly any bugs at all. One application of 5% deet kept everything off of us the entire evening in camp.

Comment

Caribou

Hopefully this works. I found this guy and about 100 others in the shade under the pipline. A stalk to within 50 yards produced a clean pass through hit that was a little far back. We waited 1/2 hour for him to settle down and then a 37 yard shot split his heart and put him down for good. It was a good trip.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/D.../dsc00793r.jpg

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/D...hunt006r_1.jpg

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Thanks for the pics Dave!

I'm going up to Kotzebue on Tuesday, I'll be sure to post mine.

Comment

It works

I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
                  I have less friends now!!

Comment

Congrats!!

Thanks for shareing the pix's.. never tasted caribou,, like deer? elk? moose? I also noticed in the pictures that IT ISN'T RAINING!!.. I thought it rained all the time up there.. looking forward to my hunt early Sept in the Alaska Range for dall and grizz.. never been there. Les

Comment

Rain

Actually................ The stalk was put on in a T-shirt. Shortly after the kill my partner and I went back for pack frames. It started to rain, blow and then hail, pea sized hail. We backed up against the pipeline supports trying to keep a little dry. After 15 -20 minutes we decided to go ahead and process the animal and pack it out. By the time we arrived at camp, to the amazement of two parked vehicles, we were completey soaked from the rain and the hail was forming in pockets on the tundra.

On day three the rain moved in, wind came up, temperatures went down and stayed that way until we left.

Caribou is a lot like deer. Many Alaskans prefer moose or caribou as their number 1 choice in meat.
                      Last edited by Daveinthebush; 08-11-2006, 19:56.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Dalton Hwy Sag river

Of those who have been up on the haul road, has anybody seen who much water is in the Sag. Is it running shallow or deep.
                        Thanks

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X