waterproof soft gun case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waterproof soft gun case

I am doing a brooks range float hunt in sept. and i am concerned about my wood stocked rifle. This is a 14 day float. Is there a need for a "waterproof" (as in dry bag ) sleeve or is water resistant enough? Is this an issue I should even be worried about? I have no experience with keeping a scoped, wood stocked rifle out in the elements for 2 weeks straight. Any info on how you all do it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

gun sleeve

I used a Koplin plastic one on my Prince of Wales hunt in spring 2005. It rained almost every day and the boat kept the sea spray on us. I used this gun sleeve with a standard soft sided case. When we would hit the beach to chase a bear, I would just uncase it and pull it out. Gave the gun a quick wipe down every night or so with some oil. No rust issues... I bought it at Boondocks in Eagle River. Was about 25-30 bucks.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Comment

thanks, i had a similar thing in mind maybe with a desicant pack in it. The gun should be out often and wiping down every eve and casing it with the desicant should dry it out.
      Anyone else?

Comment

wet rifle

It's gonna happen if you're huntin' sheep. Long ago I went to synthetic stocks and stainless steel. I dry it as best as I can every night before wraping it up in a plastic garbage sack, dry or at least wipe off all the standing water in the morning after leaving the tent (the rifle lives outside since there is no room in the tent for Mr. Rifle) and try to let the wind and sun get to it when available to dry things out...before the next soaking...but sometimes that's sheep hunting: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Wooden stocks and blued steel can be used only it's a lot more worry and work to keep things functioning till it's time to shoot.
        "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Comment

I use the sil-ny one from Kifaru...It's light and waterproof...

Comment

thanks folks. good luck this year.

Comment

waterproof case

Many companies carry waterproof soft cases that also float just in case something unexpected happens and they are all very reasonably priced. I would check with Sportsmans warehouse first to avoid shipping costs and then look to the mail order companies. I use these cases for my shotguns when waterfowling.

Type "waterproof rifle case" into google.

Doug
              http://www.alaskasgreatoutdoors.com

Comment

Doug, I have looked at and held and experimented with a few floating cases and although they do float and shed rain off the fabric they are not "waterproof". the problem is that the zippers and corners leak. So if the case finds its way to the bottom of the raft or another piece of gear channels water to the zipper, then it gets in and then the foam interior acts as a sponge and retains water. It will still float but now it is wet and humid and keeping a gun in it for 14 days sort of insures rust. what i need is something that will seal out all moisture so that a desicant pack can remove the humidity an give the gun a chance to really dry out. Maybe I am being a little anal about this but i just dont know if my wood will swell and change point of impact. thanks for your post, it is nice to see what others ore doing.

Comment

Lookie what I found:
                  http://www.ultimatesurf.co.nz/view_p...21db3aecfaba09

It is sold in New Zealand and make in Taiwan. Oddly enough the Taiwan web site from the original manufacturer does not list it as one of their items. It must be a "special item " just for the New Zealand company.
                  This should truly be waterproof and would hold a conventional cloth bag inside for padding.

Comment

Get with Jim Durkin, the designer of the Float Tote, here's a picture of it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

AK hunter, you are the man!! that is a nice set up and now I know it will be within reach while floating. Hate to fumbling around while drifting by a nice critter. By the way is that one of Larrys rafts, looks pretty skinny, lots of floatation. thanks again!!!

Comment

One tip learned the hard way, don't put a wet gun in a soft case!

If I'm traveling on a boat, and want to keep my rifle protected, I put it in a softcase, and put the soft case in a rifle dry bag. When I'm hunting, I have the rifle out, and wipe off the rain and river water. I don't put the gun back in the case until the gun is truly dry, as the soft cases trap the water against the metal and do a dandy job of rusting the gun.
                        Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Tip well recieved. I knew I could get the real skinny from you guys. This forum has been a big asset over the last year for us setting up this trip. Thanks for being there and helping out.

Comment

Presto

You are right, that is one of Larry's boats and i'm going to be getting myself one of those PP's one of these days. Did you book your hunt through Larry? I am doing a float south of the Brooks this fall that he put together for me, i can hardly wait!

Comment

Here's one that I just bought. http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...exTag_21975103

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X