No announcement yet.

AK Varmints?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AK Varmints?

    Wow, my first post here! Two questions: I am quite fond of shooting prairie dogs here in CO. I am also planning to move up there about this time next year, sooo, is there any varmint shooting to be done up there? Second question; I get the impression, from reading on a couple of different forums, that you folks seem to have to apply for tags for all big game. Am I understanding this correctly, or are there big game tags you can buy over the counter and go hunting? I'll be up next week for a look around. Can't wait!

  • #2
    There are some hunts that you have to apply for a tag . Most hunting tags are free for Caribou, Deer and Moose. Some GMU's don't require that you pay for a Brown/Grizzly bear tag but even the ones that do the tag only cost $25. A lot of Registration type hunts, Goat for example.


    • #3

      There are marmots up here. They are fun to shoot like prarie dogs, not nearly as plentiful but fun if you can find them. I know a spot we do pretty good. There are certain regs for them though.
      Almost all big game comes with one hunting tag with the exception of grizzly goat and sheep.


      • #4
        This year I have been hunting coyotes relentlessly. There was no luck for me though. I called in a pack but they were too far away and stood behind thick brush. I couldnt call them in any further. You will not need any special tags for coyotes or wolves, obviously you will need a hunting license.

        I hunted Knik EVERY weekend with no luck. Now I am looking for a new area to hunt dogs. :-/


        • #5
          Thought I'd jump in here on the tag/permit issue, as you might want a more complete picture.

          You can hunt moose, caribou, black/brown bear, sheep, goat, elk and deer without having to win a drawing permit. In many cases you can just pick up a tag over the counter at no charge. In some cases, such as many goat and elk hunts, you have to register your intent to hunt with Fish & Game in order to get a permit, and then the permit is only good for a short period of time (~10 days) before you have to report and get a new one.

          There are also drawing permits available for all of the above species (except for deer and black bear - that's tag only), as well as for Bison and Musk Ox. Hunts are restricted to drawing permits either when the population can only sustain a small harvest or when the demand far outweighs the supply. Examples of this are the sheep populations near the road system, especially those near Anchorage and those managed for trophy rams. Chances of drawing these permits vary, but can be quite low for popular hunts such as Bison. Even if you don't draw, though, there are still LOTS of opportunities to hunt with over-the-counter tags. There are great road-accessible areas for moose, caribou, and bear if you're willing to work, as well as the occasional sheep and goat if you're really willing to work your butt off.

          There's also a permit system known as Tier II (subsistence), but as a new resident you won't need to worry about that.

          C'mon's an amazing place to live!


          • #6
            Resident vs Non-Resident

            One thing to remember about tags and licenses is the res vs non-res issue. Make sure and check with a local state trooper before purchasing tags and licenses, DO NOT check with F&G, they are not the "enforcing" agency.
            :confused: CuriousOne


            • #7
              Thanks fellas, it all sounds good. I did not know the state troopers are the enforcing agency, good to know. I have been applying for sheep and goat here for years. I don't think I'll live long enough to ever draw one. If I can get a tag there I'll gladly work my tail off just for the chance to hunt-getting one would be icing on the cake! Marmots! I love hunting marmots! Moose! Caribou! and Bears! Oh my! Makes me feel like a kid again just imagining the possibilities.


              • #8
                varmint regs


                Just remember that you need a trapping license to hunt marmots and you usually have to salvage either the meat or skin of ground squirrels.


                • #9
                  Ground squirrel meat is pretty tasty if you soak it in teryaki sauce and use a little seasoning salt. On the only fly-in sheep hunt I've done we were unsuccessful. After 6 days of freeze-dried food, them chubby little buggers starting looking awfully tasty. They were good, but a pain in the butt to clean. There was more fat than meat, so cleaning the meat took ages. It was a nice break from the Mountain House, though.



                  • #10
                    Get a copy of the Regs!

                    I moved up here a couple years ago. The best advice I can give you is to get a copy of the regs and start reading. It is overwhelming at first, but you will figure them out with a little patience. You can go to and look on-line or I belive you can call F&G and they will send you a paper copy also. Check out their website for sure.

                    Good luck.



                    Footer Adsense