Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rambling raven
    replied
    I guess I don't understand this one - "Hunting for the experience"? If you don't have a reason to need or want the meat and aren't really hunting for a trophy then buy a camera and hunt with it. You still have the "experience" of a hunt while preserving the resource unless it is the experience of killing something you are seeking. In my estimation there is more challenge to getting a really good picture than killing the animal. Don't misunderstand my position - I am all for hunting I'm just not buying the need to kill something for the "experience". Could "hunting for experience" be code for "skunked again"

Leave a comment:

• FamilyMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Turk Hunter View Post
    hunt for the experience. Poll won't allow me to vote??
    2 new maybe? Stick around.

Leave a comment:

• Turk Hunter
    replied
    hunt for the experience. Poll won't allow me to vote??

Leave a comment:

• Shelikofkid
    replied
    Tough question when you think about it, although not so much the trophy part. I'd have to say
    For the meat 60%
    Experience 35%
    Trophy 5%

Leave a comment:

• FamilyMan
    replied
    Purely for the experience

Don't need any more mounts/skins, and though I like game meat better, I can easily buy my meat at the store.

I'd rather have a wonderful day out hunting enjoying the wilderness than a bad day when I managed to fill a permit. I meet lots of really neat people while out hunting.

I had great fun hunting this past year. It rained 60% or better of the time, but I had a good tent & raingear and a great Tom Clancy book that I hadn't had time to read until then. And I spent close to 20% of my hunt time helping other hunters who had equipment failures 10 to 20 miles back in there. Got some great pictures; just haven't had time to post'm up here yet.

And another important goal is to teach the kids about surviving, respecting, and enjoying nature, all at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• hunt_ak
    replied
    Thread dredge is right! I just gave rep to AKmud for a post almost 4 years ago! I didn't even read the start date until LuJon said something...

Experience and family tradition likely trumps the other two, but there was definitely a time in our lives when I'd say the meat was more vital for our family when the money was tight.

Next, meat or trophy? More bone on the head likely means more meat on the bone! Side by side, I'll shoot the larger one every time...

Leave a comment:

• 1S1K
    replied
    Didn't realize when this thread was started. However, given that 1500+ BULL CARIBOU were killed and only 500+ cows (I'm sure I'm not exact on the numbers but you get the idea) during the Tier I harvest this past Oct I'd say a lot of people were trophy hunting. Especially since all I heard was how bad the BULL MEAT was during the rut. 1500+ sets of Antlers cannot be that tasty.

Trophy first for me. If I'm outside and not killing something then I'm camping, and I have all the experience in the world doing that.

Leave a comment:

• Erik in AK
    replied
    Experience first for me, then the trophy. I like game meat but as an Anchorite, hunting for the table rarely pencils out. I would like to take representative, mature animals (someday) which is why I've let so many animals walk.

Leave a comment:

• Frostbitten
    replied
    Depends on the season. Moose and caribou season...it's all about meat. When hunting predators, it's all about the pelt.

Leave a comment:

• Alaska Grandma
    replied
    If I am out there hunting, then I am looking for food to put on the table!

Yum, meat. It's what's for dinner!
    Grandma Lori

Leave a comment:

• denalihunter
    replied
    Wow, this is an old thread. Still a great question. For me, it's all about the experience. If i never get another animal in my life, but am allowed to hunt all the time, life would be just fine. Since my son is turning into quite the hunter, even at 7, it's all about the experiences with him out in the woods. After every hunt, I make sure he understands that we were successful because we were able to get out in the woods.
    This season, we had snuck up on a bunch of cows, and sat down under a tree.... they walked within 30 feet of us, browsing along, never knowing we were there. That was a day I won't forget. He was so tuned in, and his eyes huge watching these animals so close, hearing them eat, burp and pass gas... and most importantly, he wasn't itching to shoot, or even pull his gun up. We both sat there and enjoyed abou 30 minutes of wonder.

Leave a comment:

• tboehm
    replied
    Leave it to you Leech. Well good one to do and I guess that I never voted, so thanks. I had to say its the experience for me as it seems for most. I can but meat and its alot cheaper than what it cost me to hunt in alaska. I have fallen in love with the experiece of Alaska and look forward to the day when I can folllow that dream as many of you have done. One day it may change when I have experienced all that alaska has to offer but moose meat comes in a very close second.

Leave a comment:

• oakman
    replied
    I chose the experience, but really all three apply to me. My mindset when I go hunting is to have a good time. If I get what I'm hunting for, then that is a bonus. If it is a "trophy", then even better. To me the real trophy is the memories, and if a set of antlers or a shoulder mount on the wall helps me to remember the good times had on the hunt, then I'm happy. Of course I haven't had any "book" animals in my sights yet either.

Leave a comment:

• anchskier
    replied
    I was a little split between the options of "meat" or "hunting experience", but once I thought it through, "meat" won out. When I go hunting, it is for the meat. I went a number of years where the only thing I brough home were cows because either that was what my permit was for or that was the legal animal that presented itself to me and I wanted to make sure to get meat in the freezer. Don't get me wrong, if given the decent opportunity, I will choose a trophy animal over a non-trophy, but I won't wait around for the trophy if it isn't looking all that likely.

My thought process for this question was going through what my feelings are if one or two of the other options did not happen, how did I feel. If I got a nice trophy, but had a miserable trip due to rain or other problems, I was fairly happy since I did get what I went out to get. If I got meat of any kind, but had a miserable trip due to rain or other problems, I was still happy looking back. If I had great weather on the trip, but came back empty handed, I was not all that happy. If I got meat on the trip, but it wasn't a trophy, I can't recall evey being dissapointed at all, so I guess that would rule out the "trophy" vs. "meat" debate for me.

Regarding the "hunting experience", I get most of that when I go camping. I enjoy those trips fully, but when I go on a hunting trip, camping out is not the primary reason for the trip.

Leave a comment:

• .338WM
    replied
    I had to answer "for the experience", fortunately that experience when successful, includes meat roud:. I very much prefer eating wild game over the celophane and styrofoam wrapped variety.

Secondarily, in the context of the question, would be for the meat.

Lastly, the trophy. I have only had this choice a few times, some while caribou hunting and having great numbers of animals passing through over many days. Still the primary reason I was on that hunt was for the experience, then the meat. I have to include sheep hunting in this as I feel any sheep is a trophy by virtue of the awesome experience and challenge of hunting them. They don't taste too bad either :topjob:.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X