Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowmachines Yukon River

Hello! Are you allowed to use snowmachines on the Yukon River off the Haul Road to get out of the 5 mile exclusion zone? If so, how feasible is this? What about out of Circle -- does the river freeze up in a way that it can be traveled by snowmachine, or is it funky chunky mess? Thx!

NO! You can't. If I remember correctly, if you live in a native village and are traveling to another village yes you can travel thru the zone. But for the purpose of getting out past the five-mile zone to hunt, NO.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

It is an interesting question, as it's a waterway and not land. Can you launch a motorized boat on the Yukon at the road? If so, what is different about a snowmachine if you stay on the frozen water the entire time?

Comment

Here is the link. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ManagementArea

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

The corridor starts at the Yukon if I am not mistaken, question is does the corridor include the river? Assume you could go down/up river 5 miles and go around the corridor.

It says FROM the Yukon..... My guess would be a yes, but I would ask Fishy/Gamey
          “Ideologies separate us. Dreams and anguish bring us together.”
          ― Eugene Ionesco
          "FREEDOM" Only those that are denied truly know what it means.

Comment

The tricky part is; "Starts at the Yukon". The Yukon starts on the south side of the bridge. Once you cross the bridge your in the zone no matter what So you would have to go from the zone, south out on to the Yukon. Tricky question that only F&G can answer.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

The GIS stuff published by ADFG is showing the north bank as the boundary.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DHCMA.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	2778597

Comment

That being the case, you can't drive over the bridge to unload your snowmachine. You would have to access from the south bank.
                But I would bet that there are trailers parked on the north bank from people with cabins on the river.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Some how one could access the south bank, the real question, just what would one hunt during the time of year one could use a snow machine...?
                  “Ideologies separate us. Dreams and anguish bring us together.”
                  ― Eugene Ionesco
                  "FREEDOM" Only those that are denied truly know what it means.

Comment

Originally posted by Akgramps View Post
                    Some how one could access the south bank, the real question, just what would one hunt during the time of year one could use a snow machine...?
                    I just can't remember any access on the south. There might be to access the bridge base or the pipeline. But the pipeline might be suspended under the bridge. I can't imagine trying to lay pipe in that river.
                    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 01-21-2022, 15:36.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                      That being the case, you can't drive over the bridge to unload your snowmachine. You would have to access from the south bank.
                      But I would bet that there are trailers parked on the north bank from people with cabins on the river.
                      The Management area states that you are allowed to use any constructed roadway within 1/4 mile of the Dalton highway. therefore you could use the launch ramp at the yukon river to access.

Comment

I think you could get away with using the regular boat launch because it would fall under the any constructed road or gravel pit within 1/4 mile of the highway, which is an exception noted on the area description.

Comment

You probably can but the regulation says: 1. licensed highway vehicles may be used on the following designated roads: With (6) any constructed roadway or gravel pit within one-quarter mile of the Dalton Highway;. Is listed as an item under that category of licensed highway vehicles.

3. a snowmachine may be used to cross the management area from land outside the management area to access land on the other side of the management area; Is listed in it's own section.

Maybe I'm being too technical but. Probably am. But I don't want anyone getting a ticket. I'd call F&G with your "Intent" and get a verification.

Just thought of a simple solution: If you drive the truck and trailer out, onto the frozen river, technically you are now out of the zone.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

The Yukon (at least up river of Circle) is a bit of a mix of jumble ice and rideable areas. Jumble ice size depends on the year, some years easily doable whereas others could be really rough. I think locations of jumble ice are fairly consistent though. Circle seems like an awfully far off way from the area on the backside of the corridor.... If you weren't familiar with how/where the jumble ice forms, I could see riding the Yukon taking a while. But as someone else asked, what are you hunting? Caribou? Seems most likely and if I was targeting Caribou with snowmachine I'd probably look to the 40 mile hunt off the Steese.

Comment

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X