Wow, TMA Tok Management Area, 10 total permits upcoming permit hunt cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, TMA Tok Management Area, 10 total permits upcoming permit hunt cycle

TMA only 10 permits next year. Confirmed by a Fish and Game biologist on this podcast: https://soundcloud.com/caleb-martin-...part-1-mixdown

It also shows up that way in the draw supplement for 2022-2023. Also the 1 non-resident tag being given out for it is guided only. Non-resident 2nd degree of kindred is out of the running for that hunt in 2022.

Comment

Heard from someone who knows TMA better than anyone he has never seen lower sheep numbers over the past 30 years. He thought there might be only 5 tags, if any at all.
      In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

Wonder why DCUA has 130 tags? Did all the sheep walk from TMA over to DCUA?

Comment

Originally posted by FairbanksFlies View Post
          It's very doubtful if DCUA will have 130 tags as the Permit Hunt Supplement went to print prior to the local office having data collected. The Delta office gets overwhelmed about that time with bison hunting issues. On the bright side, bison tags are increasing along with bison numbers.

Back to sheep:
          There seems to be a severe decline in dall sheep within the Alaska Range and Wrangells. I'm hearing of guides that no longer accept clients because they have few or no rams in their area. I don't hear of an exact cause but weather has had some impact no doubt.

Here's some other numbers you may find of interest:
          2021 DS203.....DCUA walk-in.....65 permits.....61 reporting.....44 hunted....12 rams ....27% success......avg age 8.5 yrs
          2017 DS203.....DCUA walk-in.....70 permits.....70 reporting.....54 hunted.....28 rams.....52% success.......avg age 8.7 yrs

2021 DS204.....DCUA motorized access.......65 permits......59 reporting....39 hunted......7 rams......18% success.....avg age 7 yrs

I would think that non-resident hunters, seeking a guided hunt for dall sheep, would opt for a different hunt for their money.

Comment

Yeah I read that when you posted it elsewhere. Those are some sad numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by FairbanksFlies View Post
              If those numbers stay high, the difference may be because TMA is managed for trophy potential while DCUA is managed for opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by AudiAK View Post
                It also shows up that way in the draw supplement for 2022-2023. Also the 1 non-resident tag being given out for it is guided only. Non-resident 2nd degree of kindred is out of the running for that hunt in 2022.
                They eliminated a ton of non-resident draw and registration hunts. No non-res draw for Nelchina, Kenai or Fortymile caribou. No non-res goat in Haines area. It seems like they slashed 75% of the non-res hunts. Which infuriates me since I finally had some time, money and initiative to come up this coming year as a filthy carpetbagging outsider.
                Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

Comment

Originally posted by highestview View Post

They eliminated a ton of non-resident draw and registration hunts. No non-res draw for Nelchina, Kenai or Fortymile caribou. No non-res goat in Haines area. It seems like they slashed 75% of the non-res hunts. Which infuriates me since I finally had some time, money and initiative to come up this coming year as a filthy carpetbagging outsider.
                  HV,
                  I'm not finding "residents only" for the DC608 & DC 618 , Kenai Peninsula, caribou hunts and the Forty Mile Youth Hunt [YC 831] is even open to NR. The Forty Mile Herd is a drawing hunt open to NR and
                  attracts numerous "filthy carpetbagging outsiders" .......If I'm missing something, please advise as there have been mistakes in the ADFG publications in the past.

If you are looking for a trophy caribou, I'd look at DC827, Central Alaska Range. There's not a lot of tags but there's some very nice caribou.

Comment

I think you are mistaken. The only non-resident hunt I can find that they got rid of was the unit 13 caribou. Other than that, those others are all open to non-residents.

Comment

Originally posted by anchskier View Post

I think you are mistaken. The only non-resident hunt I can find that they got rid of was the unit 13 caribou. Other than that, those others are all open to non-residents.
                      Also, a lot more NR tags for Kodiak bear and black bear.

What do you call a moose with no name?

Comment

I misread the Kenai hunt I guess, but they've slashed a LOT of non-res opportunities. They took away several caribou hunts. Then for goats, non-res had 77 hunts available to them via draw and reg for 2021, for 2022 there's only 39 hunts available. Same with moose draw/reg hunts. Non-res had 67 hunts available in 2021, only 48 in 2022. Black bear from 10 to 7. There was a definite culling of opportunities for non-residents. I'm not butthurt about it, just kinda bummed. I liked the idea of trying to put a goat hunt together back in Haines and now as a non-res, I can't even draw for it. I was getting my hopes up to come back and do a Unit 13 caribou like the old times. Lame. I guess I could go to Cold Bay and fish for silvers and shoot ground squirrels. Or Spring black bear in Haines area. But the black bears in Pennsylvania are twice as big as Alaskan black bears and I'm much closer to there now.

Good luck to all of you. May the draw be ever in your favor.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I misread the Kenai hunt I guess, but they've slashed a LOT of non-res opportunities. They took away several caribou hunts. Then for goats, non-res had 77 hunts available to them via draw and reg for 2021, for 2022 there's only 39 hunts available. Same with moose draw/reg hunts. Non-res had 67 hunts available in 2021, only 48 in 2022. Black bear from 10 to 7. There was a definite culling of opportunities for non-residents. I'm not butthurt about it, just kinda bummed. I liked the idea of trying to put a goat hunt together back in Haines and now as a non-res, I can't even draw for it. I was getting my hopes up to come back and do a Unit 13 caribou like the old times. Lame. I guess I could go to Cold Bay and fish for silvers and shoot ground squirrels. Or Spring black bear in Haines area. But the black bears in Pennsylvania are twice as big as Alaskan black bears and I'm much closer to there now.

Good luck to all of you. May the draw be ever in your favor.
                          I think part of what you are seeing as "missing" or "taken away" are due to the race that the 2022 registration hunts aren't in the system yet, so not showing up for anyone. If you look for residents for 2022 in the caribou section, zero registration hunts show up as well. It isn't that they have been taken away from non-residents, they just aren't in the system yet for that regulatory year. I don't know the specifics about the goat hunts you referenced though. EDIT: I just looked at the goat hunts and it is the same. None of the 2022 registration hunts are loaded in the system, even for residents. If you are looking for potential registration hunts for 2022, you probably just need to wait a bit longer for them to get put online.

Comment

I think part of what you are seeing as "missing" or "taken away" are due to the race that the 2022 registration hunts aren't in the system yet, so not showing up for anyone. If you look for residents for 2022 in the caribou section, zero registration hunts show up as well. It isn't that they have been taken away from non-residents, they just aren't in the system yet for that regulatory year. I don't know the specifics about the goat hunts you referenced though. EDIT: I just looked at the goat hunts and it is the same. None of the 2022 registration hunts are loaded in the system, even for residents. If you are looking for potential registration hunts for 2022, you probably just need to wait a bit longer for them to get put online.
                            Well in that case, I'd be quite happy to be wrong here.

Comment

Lame. I guess I could go to Cold Bay and fish for silvers and shoot ground squirrels.
                              Oh there's a bit more than just ground squirrels to play with out in Cold Bay. Ptarmigan numbers out there this fall are excellent, and the waterfowling is always great. This was a single day's hunt for 2 guns and 1 dog a few weeks ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A truly versatile day.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	2776509

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X