X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LuJon
    replied
    Originally posted by back country View Post
    My son and I just last month purchased matching Kimber Montana 325 WSM's - Sportsman's Warehouse (or whatever it is nowadays) quit handling Kimber rifles and we both got screamin' deals - I have not shot mine as yet but I set my son's up - have only had a chance to shoot @ 100yds to date but after 10 shots to adjust scope and "season" a bit it put the next three into one ragged hole with W/W Supreme 200 Accubond factory - Now I am nervous about mine not living up to that example

I killed an elk with my model 70 325 WSM, at 260 and he didn't walk 10 steps (this past season) I am thinking that a man with a 325 and a 270, both in WSM, doesn't need anything else for this continent
    I thought the same thing when I moved back to AK after the military I immediately purchased an A-Bolt in 325 and a tika in 270wsm. Somehow I keep finding reasons to pick up other rifles though...

Leave a comment:

• back country
    replied
    325 wsm

My son and I just last month purchased matching Kimber Montana 325 WSM's - Sportsman's Warehouse (or whatever it is nowadays) quit handling Kimber rifles and we both got screamin' deals - I have not shot mine as yet but I set my son's up - have only had a chance to shoot @ 100yds to date but after 10 shots to adjust scope and "season" a bit it put the next three into one ragged hole with W/W Supreme 200 Accubond factory - Now I am nervous about mine not living up to that example

I killed an elk with my model 70 325 WSM, at 260 and he didn't walk 10 steps (this past season) I am thinking that a man with a 325 and a 270, both in WSM, doesn't need anything else for this continent

Leave a comment:

• mdhunter
    replied
    Originally posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    Nice home video. I would say this is just as humane as a bow kill. If I had a chance to put a second arrow in an animal though, you can bet I would. Come on, how many shot do you get to take at an animal every year? Take the opportunity, put that second shot down range.

I picked up a 325wsm last month. Can't wait to head out for spring bear.
    The one thing about a bow shot...there's no loud report from the rifle, and many times the animal isn't sure what happened (think about a sharp cut on your finger or elsewhere, until you reconnect the nerves there isn't a pain sensation...)

Bow kills in the vitals are one of the more humane ways for an animal to die, no stress from the sound of a gunshot nearby, and the animal dies pretty fast.

I can't comment on the .325 but love my .338, I do enjoy the pics of some of the game shot with the .325.

Leave a comment:

• wiso_67
    replied
    200 grains

I hand load my 325 and the accuracy is amazing, I shoot regular 200 gr speer hot core bullets nothing fancy, Whacked my caribou 426 yards off the steese 1 shot held about 7 inches over his back, zeroed 2 inches high at 100 yards. Re 19 powder gave me great results, more accurate then the factory loads that i tried and the more expensive bullets.
    my rifle is a 325wsm hart barrel, remington action, thumbhole laminant stock, muzzel break and is topped off with a zeis conquest 6-20 scope that is real sweet, (except for the moose i shot this year at 20 yards lol). the enclosed pic is the rifle and a bou i got off the steese, it was 270 yards away 30 below cold as hell aimed dead on.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• pa bearcamp
    replied
    PA Bearcamp

Anyone know how the 220gr. power points hold up on the big stuff, bear and moose ?

Leave a comment:

• knikglacier
    replied
    Kimber lefties

Nothing in a lefty yet from Kimber. Hard to say if it will happen.

Leave a comment:

• 06tributeman
    replied
    does anybody know if kimber makes the 325wsm in a lefty modle? thanks

Leave a comment:

• LuJon
    replied
    Ammo availability doesn't seem to be a problem here in the Valley or ANC. I have never walked into any shop needing 325 ammo and been unable to find it on the shelf. The same for my 270wsm. A variety of loads is a valid complaint but honestly mine shoots the 200 accubonds well and will kill anything I level it at with them in the hole.

Leave a comment:

• millsymojo
    replied
    Bullet/weight options

I would agree that a 220 gr option with a frame, tsx, etc would be a nice addition; but my selfish ambition in having a wide variety of bullets/weights made available is to encourage other shooter/hunters to entrench this .325 wsm. I have yet to find an owner of one who is dissatisfied with the performance of the gun/caliber. The singular and uniform complaint is the lack of options in bullet/weight and/or the availablity of the factory ammo. Does Winchester still have this as a proprietary load? Is this "ownership" the reason few manufacturers are (ie federal) producing factory loads for the .325 or is the inability of ammo manufacturers to keep up with the military's current ammo needs the primary culprit? I have heard a few theories.....can anybody shed light on this?

Leave a comment:

• hodgeman
    replied
    Originally posted by Snyd View Post
    As far as other factory loads I don't think it's that big of deal. Actually when you start looking at ballistics and compare say 150's to the 200 accubonds it's really hard to beat that 200gr accubond. ....the numbers comparing a 150 or 170 grain at over 3000fps compared to the accubonds at 2950 and the trajectory doesn't flatten out enough to make it worth while.
    I agree... the 8mm bore sized really begs for bigger, not lighter, bullets. I kinda regret not getting the .325 in my Nosler, I opted for the .300 thinking I wanted more variety in bullet weights and factory ammo. Nope- I just shoot 180's. I should have opted for the bigger bore; I'd have been perfectly happy with 200 ABs at 2900fps and change.

As an aside I think that was Remington's mistake in the 8mm Rem. Mag- opting for lighter bullets pushed to higher velocity. Apparently a lot of folks wanted a tough, heavy bugger at a more moderate velocity. Unfortunately the WSM is short on case capacity- the 8mm Mag wasn't...

Leave a comment:

• Snyd
    replied
    As far as other factory loads I don't think it's that big of deal. Actually when you start looking at ballistics and compare say 150's to the 200 accubonds it's really hard to beat that 200gr accubond. It hits the sweet spot for the 325 wizbang. One round for whatever you want to shoot. It's got a high ballistic coefficient, flys flat for a long ways holds together good. I crunched and crunched the numbers comparing a 150 or 170 grain at over 3000fps compared to the accubonds at 2950 ( I have chronied the factory AB's and they came in at about 2940+) and the trajectory doesn't flatten out enough to make it worth while. The heavier bullet has LOTS more advantages than the lighter ones. Less effected by wind on longer shots, better penetration, less meat damage, etc. You can shoot everything from little Sitka Blacktails, Whitetails and Sheep on up to Bison and Brown Bear with that 200 gr accubond. I killed a Bull moose at 315 ranged yards with the AB. Busted the spine and recovered the bullet. It weighs 140gr. Retained 70% of it's weigh just like nosler says it should. Yup, if you gun likes the 200gr Accubonds then.... faggatta bout it.... just go shoot whatever you want.

I think if anything a 220 grain premium spire point bullet in a factory load with would be better than a ligher load. Something perhaps for big and/or dangerous game. Say 220gr swift a-frames or even the 220gr Gameking. The 220gr GK was designed for the 8mm mag and Sierra calls it a long range bullet. It's a nice boat tail with a thicker jacket than most other gamekings. I shot a griz with em this year. 165yds all complete pass throughs (to be expected). Busting shoulders and spine. It's my long range moose load. 200 gr AB probably would have done the same.

Leave a comment:

• 06tributeman
    replied
    Originally posted by wkevin98 View Post
    Well the meat was also a priority on this hunt as well. Also, how many of you can honestly say even when you blast the hell out of something you are actually killing it any quicker? This is a big animal and he died very quickly. End of story.

I've really enjoyed the .325 wsm and agree that it would be nice to see some more loads offered. I'd like to see something in the 140-150 gr. personally for deer and maybe varmit.
    The meat is 75% of the time the priority of the hunt, and i wasn't saying "blast the hell out of him" just pop another round into him cause there was atleast 3-4 more presentable shots there. instead of watching him stager around and try and get up several times just make the attempt plain and simple. every bow kill ive made or seen made have lasted 30sec max with the animal expiring less than 30yrds away, but if by chance it needed a second arrow to try and quicken the death i would do it in a heart beat

Leave a comment:

• wkevin98
    replied
    Originally posted by millsymojo View Post
    I have used a .325 Browning A-bolt shooting 200 gr Accubonds for my last four hunts here in AK: one shot kill at 125 yards on moose (<10 yards of movement), one shot kill on a coastal brown bear at 95 yards (<20 yards of movement), one shot kill at 150 yards on a Kodiak blacktail (little to no movement), one shot kill at 180 yards on Brooks range caribou (little to no movement). All the shots were heart and/or lung pass thrus, except the brown bear which was a broken shoulder/heart shot and the bullet was recovered under the off-side hide. I have been quite pleased with the performance of the rifle and factory ammunition. It is light, short, flat, and powerful with only a moderate kick. I have no regrets about my decision to purchase and use this set-up; however, I would love to have more bullet/weight selections available in factory loads with reasonable access.
    Good point also the kick of these A-bolts. I've personally own the X-bolt and have shot the A-bolt, and these are a very moderate/surpisingly easy kicking gun imo. I had a featherlite winchester .270 that kicked worse than this rifle.

Leave a comment:

• wkevin98
    replied
    Well the meat was also a priority on this hunt as well. Also, how many of you can honestly say even when you blast the hell out of something you are actually killing it any quicker? This is a big animal and he died very quickly. End of story.

I've really enjoyed the .325 wsm and agree that it would be nice to see some more loads offered. I'd like to see something in the 140-150 gr. personally for deer and maybe varmit.

Leave a comment:

• LuJon
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt View Post
    Meat damage on a brown bear/grizzly bear? Who cares! Keep shooting...
    May be time to upgrade to a new monitor, that was a Bison in the video:confused:

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X