Montague deer hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    This early in the season you are more than likely going to have to climb to the tops of the mountains to find deer. I doubt they will be down by the beach this early unless a freak snowstorm dumps a boatload of snow
    While I tend to agree with you, two years ago we hunted a smaller island in the sound and saw 4 deer on the beach in 3 days. Not an ounce of snow on the island except a dusting on the peaks and not overly cold. So yes while I agree that typically you'll have to climb to find the deer until the snow pushes them down, there are still a few poking around the beaches. Might be more of a "right place at the right time".

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post

We just land on the runway (couple thousand feet long) and the deer are right there. in bunches of 6 or 8 or 12 feeding on those pea vines. We land, kick the plane in position (they just stand there watching) open the window, then last thing shut the engine off, wait till the vibration stops, shoot (2) Two, taxi over to them, short leg them, off the head, gut them, into plastic bag, into the plane, and back home. Most of the deer never leave, the open runway, while the dead are processed. Generally two guys in a PA-12 and one in a PA-18.

Funny story, one time the weather sucked (we generally make it a down and back same day) and I was flying so low and forward visibility super sucked.......I was so low I nearly hit the mast on a sailboat. I was so low I could hear the people on deck yelling, and waving their arms. I think they were more terrified then me. As I did not see them till the very last second, but surely they could hear me coming straight at them. It was just "Luck" I did not hit that sailboat. When I first seen the boat I was at the bow of the boat. I pulled the power back, as I thought I was in the harbor. Otherwise I would have never heard them.
      AGL4now, is this a popular runway? Visible on an aerial map? I'm new to hunting Montague so if its not a secret spot I wouldn't be opposed to hearing a general area of where its at on the island... lol

Comment

Originally posted by mcc4 View Post

AGL4now, is this a popular runway? Visible on an aerial map? I'm new to hunting Montague so if its not a secret spot I wouldn't be opposed to hearing a general area of where its at on the island... lol
        It (The Runway) was formed/created by the thrust of the 1964 9.2 earthquake as you go around the west tip of the island, it is just around the corner, on the open ocean exposure side. I don't know if boaters can see it from the water, I just don't know as it is a "wide deep bench" above the beach.
        ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, it is a delightful place to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

arent planes supposed to be flying above 500' just for these situations?

was this hunting recently or a a few years ago?
          I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
          but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Originally posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
            arent planes supposed to be flying above 500' just for these situations?

was this hunting recently or a a few years ago?
            How could you ever "LAND" if you had to stay above a given AGL......You fly through some of the Alaska passes, praying and with the tires nibbling the ground, and super pray no one is coming the other direction....???
            ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, it is a delightful place to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

The Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) Part 91.119 indicates that, except when necessary for departure or landing, the minimum altitude over urban areas is 1,000 feet above ground level (AGL) and 500 feet AGL over rural areas

you didnt say you were landing....

Comment

The Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) Part 91.119 indicates that, except when necessary for departure or landing, the minimum altitude over urban areas is 1,000 feet above ground level (AGL) and 500 feet AGL over rural areas

Was not landing, was making a point. What does the regulations say about ASL.....???

Comment

Neither of those criteria apply to sparsely populated areas. Just 500 feet from structures, vehicles or people. Altitude is not limited to a number. I guess if the boat crept up on him in the weather he better be 500 feet away from it.

Comment

I don't think I'd call the island Urban or Rural. No one lives out there. The Valdez poker run goes out that way every year and ands on the beaches.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by gbflyer View Post

Neither of those criteria apply to sparsely populated areas. Just 500 feet from structures, vehicles or people. Altitude is not limited to a number. I guess if the boat crept up on him in the weather he better be 500 feet away from it.
                      Is a sailboat a vehicle? Were the people onboard the sailboat people?
                      I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post

For "air mans" application it means "An assemblage of people", not three or four.

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post

For "air mans" application it means "An assemblage of people", not three or four.
                          Does that actually make any sense to you? It doesn't to me. What is an "air mans" and if three or four people isn't "An assemblage of people", what is? Do "air mans" have a certain number of people, above three or four obviously, to make an assemblage?
                          I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Ugh, someone needs to get this post back on topic. Took this guy on the 4th near Port Chalmers. Buddy got a doe and probably saw 3 other deer. Didn't see anything on the beaches but didn't hike more than 500 ft elevation either.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post

Hahahahaha. Yep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dahlenburg View Post
                                Ugh, someone needs to get this post back on topic. Took this guy on the 4th near Port Chalmers. Buddy got a doe and probably saw 3 other deer. Didn't see anything on the beaches but didn't hike more than 500 ft elevation either.�

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
                                Nice job!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X