No announcement yet.

Going After My First Caribou DC608

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be seeing you up there. Got a group of 3 flying in the 20 - 27th. Best of luck to you!

Comment

With good friends and your positive attitude, you will have a great trip regardless of harvest. Best of luck to all of you. Being critically ill puts perspective on what really matters.

Comment

I've done this hunt and it's pretty straightforward. Here's my advice... You'll want to land at twin lakes. Forget the horses or walking. every pilot i know lands on the lower lake and parks on the north shore (it's really the only spot to beach a plane, the shore is pretty crappy everywhere except the north end). I don't think i'm giving any secrets away since everyone i know who hunts there does the same thing. The caribou almost exclusively stick to this big valley a couple of clicks south south west of the lake and visit the lower end for water. there's a saddle on the western side that goes up to a big open bowl, climb it and glass the valley, i've never not seen the herd there. You don't need a canoe or anything to cross the lake. there is an easily identifiable trail that runs along the lake and goes right up that saddle. A canoe or boat would be a real pain in the ass there. Just do a little walking, the brush is knee high and it's open country. You can set up camp right near the drop off spot. You'll see where others have already done so and there's usually a fire ring there. I'd take a .22 as the hills around the lake are loaded with ptarmagain. You'll have company for sure. If there's pressure the caribou head farther up that big bowl. It's a haul to get to them if they do head that way but still perfectly doable, just start walking early and plan for a loooong day. If there's other hunters just do some good old fashioned camp talk and work out which way each of you are going. If you're a resident, take a sheep tag. There's a few around. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Sorry man, messed up my direction!? The saddle and valley are west west/north west not south south/west. There's a little unnamed lake west of lower twin lake, that's the kick off point for the climb over the saddle. Easliy identifiable on a map.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X