RG480 Kodiak Goat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RG480 Kodiak Goat

I am looking to fly my brother up here for a late August goat/deer hunt and my first time on Kodiak.<br/><br/>Looking for some advice if it is a good idea to fly into Deadmanís Bay and stay at the cabin for a goat hunt. We are both in good shape and understand it can be quite a trip climbing elevation daily. But with a week long trip planned, what would I be looking at for goat population in that area?<br/><br/>I also know the winds and weather will be quite a challenge. That is why I am leaning towards the cabin. Has anyone done this hunt in this area or a close registration hunt area that they wouldnít mind sharing some information.<br/><br/>I am leaving from Anchorage area and an avid backpack hunter. I have a few Alpacka rafts as well wondering if they would be useful on this particular hunt?<br/><br/>Thanks in advance.<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great trip.

Comment

I'd start with giving the wildlife bio a call.

Comment

The packrafts could be used in other areas but not at the cabin in Deadmans' bay. I guess for late Aug /Sept I would tent camp rather than use the cabin if you already have all the gear. Horse Marine lake would be an option if you were set on camping in that area. If you do decide to stay at the cabin you will have a good hike up & down every day so think about a spike camp. Also there may still be a transporter in Alpine Cove you could hire if at the cabin to help move you around a bit to other areas before you start the daily quest up through the alders.

Comment

I appreciate the advice. I did book deadmanís bay cabin and will leave the packrafts. I have the gear for some nights at a satellite camp, just wanted the comfort of a stable place to return to if the weather gets bad.<br/><br/>Understanding that I have my work cut out for me on hiking, really excited to get down there. Goats or no goats.<br/><br/>Thanks for the help. Any other tips are welcomed. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Going that early in the year, you could also fly in up high above the alders and save yourself the nut kick of busting through them. A buddy and I did that last year with great success, shoot me a pm if you want some details. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by widgeon kryptonite View Post
              Going that early in the year, you could also fly in up high above the alders and save yourself the nut kick of busting through them. A buddy and I did that last year with great success, shoot me a pm if you want some details. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              <br/><br/>This forum wonít let me PM for some reason but Iíd love to hear how your hunt went. I expect to climb high and have some rough brush to break through. I already reserved the cabin, not that I am committed to it. Just figured fly in to it, have the 4 of us climb up one time with spike camp and have the cabin if bad weather kicks in.<br/>I was thinking start around Horse Marine Lake. But any feedback would be appreciated.<br/><br/>You can message me at 907-297-9594 if preferred. Thanks <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I did deadman last year. Lots and lots of goats. Very very challenging hike up that mountain. TONS of bears. August would be miserable I imagine. October the brush was dying and still very thick. So thick it was nearly impossible to see deer. The cabin would have been nice but its almost always booked. We based on the beach and spiked on the hill. Weather can and will absolutely get nasty so be prepared for that. There is some alpine lakes in the area but they are hard to access due to wind and weather. It blew 5 of 7 days for us.
                Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Comment

That is good to know. My main concern was the dense brush. I am hoping to figure out the best ridge line the first few days then do a 3 day spike camp if needed. <br/>Thanks for the info.<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks all for the help. Had an amazing experience and was able to get myself and my brother Billy’s. The hike was brutal and packout even worse. After heading back up the mountain to help a friend get one and get the spike camp, found a better route 50 meters from our original.

But we really learned a lot. Bears were all over at ever elevation. Goats stayed real high and deer from beach to mountain top(first week of Sept).

I see why this is normally a late season, and now I am addicted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

thank you for sharing these fantastic photos!

Comment

That's what I call true adventure. Conglads,

Comment

Right on man, congratulations! As hard as some of those hunts can be, it’s probably harder not to get addicted to Kodiak. 37 days and counting!

Comment

Incredible pictures.

Comment

Thanks all. It was probably my favorite hunt to date.
                              And you’re right AKtrout, if I can afford it, I’d like to keep Kodiak on my annual place to go hunting or fishing. Great people down there also.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X