Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the Current Status of the Deer Population on Kodiak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the Current Status of the Deer Population on Kodiak?

Anyone know how the deer are doing on Kodiak? Are they up, down, or about status quo in their cycle? Anyone anticipate large die off this year due to deep snow or hard winter? In particular the South end of the island.

I'm sorry I have no new info to report. The last two times I was there they were all over the place. This was the north end. we were seeing them, and shot a few from camp. The last time I was there was 2015 in Terror bay. Shot this guy 1/2 mile from camp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2655.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	2769734
    I haven't heard of any die-offs since then. A buddy of mine went down this last fall and they got 12 for 12 right off the road system. They brought home 11, bear got one.
    Have fun, good luck.

Comment

I just got off the phone with a wildlife biologist on Kodiak and I asked him the questions you asked. He said the deer herd took what he called "a big die off" last winter but like I said, my buddy did well there this fall. I told him that and he said "well, it depends where you go and who's doing the hunting, over-all the harvest was low and spotty, the east side did better than the west side." I asked him if he could tell anything about this winter, he said "It's too early to tell, it's still winter here" I asked him what the snow conditions were like. He said "The snow is at the 800 foot level right now, can't tell how it will affect the deer herd"

You may want to call him later in the summer to get more info. His name is John, call him at Kodiak ADF&G (907) 486-1825.

Comment

Roger that. Same thing I heard when I called them. Didn't have a whole lot of info honestly, that's why I was looking for some more detailed information from people who have actually had boots on the ground recently. Thanks tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
          Roger that. Same thing I heard when I called them. Didn't have a whole lot of info honestly, that's why I was looking for some more detailed information from people who have actually had boots on the ground recently. Thanks tho.
          You must have just bugged him about it. He seemed just a little annoyed at me for asking the questions.

Comment

Originally posted by mark knapp View Post

You must have just bugged him about it. He seemed just a little annoyed at me for asking the questions.
            I've never talked to him when he WASN'T grumpy....
            Note to self: Don't argue with idiots, it just beings you down to their level where they overwhelm you with their more extensive experience in being an idiot.... and, you can't fix stupid!

Comment

Originally posted by akgriz View Post

I've never talked to him when he WASN'T grumpy....
              I get it now. Maybe I'll ask the other guy next time, no time in my life for grumpy people.

Comment

I was in the Larsen Bay area in November of 2019 and again in 2020. Significant die off of mature bucks from 2019 to 2020 based on what I observed over 5 days of hunting. My hunting partner and I tagged out easily enough in 2020, 5 two-three year old bucks and 1 decent 3x3. I probably saw between 15-30 deer a day, but mostly does, fawns, and young bucks. In 2019 we took several mature bucks. I've been monitoring FAA webcams and it doesn't appear that the snow pack will have an adverse impact this winter, but as we all know, it's not over yet! I'll be heading back to Larsen Bay in November.

Comment

I'm sorry I have no new info to report. The last two times I was there they were all over the place. This was the north end. we were seeing them, and shot a few from camp. The last time I was there was 2015 in Terror bay. Shot this guy 1/2 mile from camp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2655.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	2769734
                  I haven't heard of any die-offs since then. A buddy of mine went down this last fall and they got 12 for 12 right off the road system. They brought home 11, bear got one.
                  Have fun, good luck.
                  I really like the coloring on your buck. So dark on top of the head and lots of white. I have taken a pile of Blacktails in Wa state and the double white spot on the neck isn't as common as here.
                  Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Thanks bud, The black on the top of his head was what really stuck out at me. A buddy of mine took a wider one than this (20 inches) with the same kind of coloring but the horns were broken and ugly. This was a great trip, deer were everywhere. We saw lots of them from camp. Shot lots of duck too, fly fished up the rivers for silvers and in the ocean for halibut and rock fish. What a great time. Can't wait to go back.

Comment

Actually I was thinking the same thing. Either you or I pissed him off because he wasn't very friendly. Most fish and game guys are friendly. A few are sometimes. I don't think they realize public relations is part of the job description. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by chunilnack View Post
                        I was in the Larsen Bay area in November of 2019 and again in 2020. Significant die off of mature bucks from 2019 to 2020 based on what I observed over 5 days of hunting. My hunting partner and I tagged out easily enough in 2020, 5 two-three year old bucks and 1 decent 3x3. I probably saw between 15-30 deer a day, but mostly does, fawns, and young bucks. In 2019 we took several mature bucks. I've been monitoring FAA webcams and it doesn't appear that the snow pack will have an adverse impact this winter, but as we all know, it's not over yet! I'll be heading back to Larsen Bay in November.
                        Great information. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks bud, The black on the top of his head was what really stuck out at me. A buddy of mine took a wider one than this (20 inches) with the same kind of coloring but the horns were broken and ugly. This was a great trip, deer were everywhere. We saw lots of them from camp. Shot lots of duck too, fly fished up the rivers for silvers and in the ocean for halibut and rock fish. What a great time. Can't wait to go back.
                          I have a 20" wide Blacktail from SW Wa. that is a nice 4 point with eye guards on both sides. Just barely shy of B&C minimum. I wasn't planning to hunt that day due to it being 'doe day' where anything goes, and the woods were as dry as corn flakes. Some friends showed up at my house and begged me to take them out. I did with the promise that they wouldn't shoot does in my favorite area. We spotted this buck crossing the road in front of us. Went to the end of the road and parked on the way back and spread out to move up the hill through the woods and brush where he went. It was so noisy I found an area where I could watch an acre of so of ferns and brush. I listened to my noisy friends continue up the hill. Then I hear something coming through the brush across the hillside towards me. Very noisy. I thought it was another hunter that was headed my way. Nope. Stiff legged buck. I let him come until broadside and picked my lane. Shot him right in the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post

I have a 20" wide Blacktail from SW Wa. that is a nice 4 point with eye guards on both sides. Just barely shy of B&C minimum. I wasn't planning to hunt that day due to it being 'doe day' where anything goes, and the woods were as dry as corn flakes. Some friends showed up at my house and begged me to take them out. I did with the promise that they wouldn't shoot does in my favorite area. We spotted this buck crossing the road in front of us. Went to the end of the road and parked on the way back and spread out to move up the hill through the woods and brush where he went. It was so noisy I found an area where I could watch an acre of so of ferns and brush. I listened to my noisy friends continue up the hill. Then I hear something coming through the brush across the hillside towards me. Very noisy. I thought it was another hunter that was headed my way. Nope. Stiff legged buck. I let him come until broadside and picked my lane. Shot him right in the neck.
                            I love it when a plan comes together. Got a pic? I'd love to see it. I've had hunters take really nice deer on Kodiak but like most guides I never got a really big one for myself. Now it's my turn.

Comment

I love it when a plan comes together. Got a pic? I'd love to see it. I've had hunters take really nice deer on Kodiak but like most guides I never got a really big one for myself. Now it's my turn.
                              I have some pics on film somewhere and maybe one or 2 of the head on the wall. Sneak mount. He was walking with his head down when I got him.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X