Youth Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youth Rifle

My 11yo son and I drew DC485 this year so I’m looking for a youth rifle for him. Ideally it would be something we could re-stock when he gets older. He’s a small kid so something that wouldn’t kick him too hard is important. I was thinking a .243, 6.5 Creedmore, or 7mm-08. Any suggestions on calibers or rifles?

Unfortunately I’m caught up in the craziness of the market right now but it is what it is. Unfortunately reloading isn’t an option as I don’t have the gear and it’s as hard or harder to find right now.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    sigpic

I'm a huge fan of the 7mm-08. We have two youth models chambered in 7mm-08 - one a Remington Model 7 youth that my wife uses and another Model 700 youth that my boys use. My kids are small for their age as well, and each used this round to take their first big game animals when they were 10. It's a super mellow round to begin with, and you can also buy the reduced recoil rounds for practice at the range. By my best count these two rifles have been used to take two moose, two black bears, four caribou, and a dall sheep - every one with a single shot. The only problem is that I don't have one of my own.

Comment

Where are you located.........."Roughly".......??? I might be able to help.
      "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

You could do far worse than a Ruger American Compact in 7mm-08 with a 2-7 Leupold. In 4-5 years, sell it and upgrade to something bigger/more spendy.

Comment

I love my 7mm/08. I feel it has an edge with bigger bullets over the .243 and lacks nothing against the 6.5 at hunting distances.

Patriot Life Member NRA
          Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
          Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
            I'm a huge fan of the 7mm-08. We have two youth models chambered in 7mm-08 - one a Remington Model 7 youth that my wife uses and another Model 700 youth that my boys use. My kids are small for their age as well, and each used this round to take their first big game animals when they were 10. It's a super mellow round to begin with, and you can also buy the reduced recoil rounds for practice at the range. By my best count these two rifles have been used to take two moose, two black bears, four caribou, and a dall sheep - every one with a single shot. The only problem is that I don't have one of my own.
            Thanks Brian. I've followed many of your threads on hunting with your kids. Appreciate the feedback.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
              Where are you located.........."Roughly".......??? I might be able to help.
              AGL4now, I'm in Anchorage. Feel free to PM me.
              sigpic

Comment

7mm-08 seems to get a strong recommendation. I didn't realize I could get factory reduced recoil loads so that's a plus. Thanks to everyone for all the help and keep it coming.
                sigpic

Comment

Can't go wrong with any of them. My grandson killed a good bull moose when he was 11 with a 7mm- 08 with a one shot kill and I liked it a lot. My grand daughter lives in NM, and when she was 10 her dad put her in for everything and she drew everything. He is an avid bowhunter and scouted a TON for her. She had all one shot kills that year with a .243 and got: a mule deer buck, a cow elk, an oryx, an ibex, a barbary sheep , a javelina . All on public land. In addition she got an antelope, for which she had to hunt on a particular ranch and she used her crossbow, and in the spring she got two turkeys with her crossbow. Later she won a 6.5 Creedmore and has now switched to that. Up here I would lean toward the 7 mm-08. That being said some of the animals she killed with the .243 are really hard to kill and it worked for her. She is now 17 and has taken more animals with the Creedmore.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickL View Post
                    7mm-08 seems to get a strong recommendation. I didn't realize I could get factory reduced recoil loads so that's a plus. Thanks to everyone for all the help and keep it coming.
                    <br/><br/>Yep. Like you, I donít reload. Iíve used the reduced recoil rounds from Remington to allow my boys to practice, but theyíve also been fine with the full loads shooting 140 grain core-lokt bullets. We bought some federal ammo with Barnes X bullets, but havenít tried them yet. The youth models we own both have pretty substantial recoil pads, and theyíre mellow to shoot regardless of the ammo.

Comment

You probably can’t go wrong with any of the calibers mentioned, but I’ll throw a vote toward the 243. Plenty of Alaskan critters have been killed with it. The light 55g bullets are about as good as it gets when getting small framed youth focusing on the fundamentals and not worrying about recoil. Bump it up to the 80-100g rounds and I’d feel comfortable taking everything up to black bear or caribou with it. I have an avid sheep hunter friend who takes his sons youth 243 sometimes because it’s so light and accurate. I picked up a youth savage axis for my kiddos last year, put an mcarbo spring in it, and it’s a tack driver. There are a couple reasonably priced youth 243’s on Alaska’s list right now. Coincidentally when I was at sportsman’s and cabelas yesterday evening just about the only bullets they had on the shelf were 243. If you end up going that route let me know, I’d be happy to help you find a load works for your rifle once supplies are available again.

Comment

With this crazy market I would take AGL4now up on his offer! Bottom line is you have to have ammo for whatever rifle you get and I’m not seeing much for sale. Borrow one for this season maybe. Kids grow fast

Comment

Originally posted by wildwilderness View Post
                          With this crazy market I would take AGL4now up on his offer! Bottom line is you have to have ammo for whatever rifle you get and I’m not seeing much for sale. Borrow one for this season maybe. Kids grow fast
                          Your post contains much wisdom. Ammo has been the "key" for the last few "Decades". About 15 years ago I made a "FIRM" and very lucky decision, NEVER-EVER purchase a new firearm, without first (well in advance) purchasing "Hundreds" or "Thousands" of rounds of ammo for that firearm. I have for long held onto ammo after selling a firearm. I have two dozen boxes of .22 Magnum with the price sticker $1.89 From way back when "CARRS GROCERY" at the edge of Anchorage still had Firearms, Traps and Ammo for sale. I say going forward feel free to buy and sell different firearms for shifts in perceived needs, but hoard the ammo even if you think you will never have that cartridge need ever again.

We are fighting for 2A rights retention...........We "Never-Ever" had rights to expect ammo to be available. And for sure we never had any right to expect or assume it would for ever and ever be stacked heavily laden on retail store shelves......at any price.

There is currently ammo available on Alaska's List, People may not enjoy the price, but having some is better then none. Think how much ammo an eleven year old will need over a lifetime of shooting.

On top for all this we are entering a brief period of semi-controlled "Inflation" evolving into hyper-inflation.

Note: I do not have ammo for sale on Alaska's List. Simply pointing that is a source for establishing a foundation for future options.
                          "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

Comment

7mm-08 for sure. I bought a .243 for my kids and it is a pleasure to shoot but I wish I had known more about the 7mm-08.

Comment

I bought my youngest son a Ruger American in .308. It might be the most accurate rifle I've ever had. Lightweight and super fun. He's taken caribou and two moose with it. I'm a huge fan of the caliber.
                              In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X