Inflated Jet Boat for moose!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inflated Jet Boat for moose!!

A buddy and me are planning a moose hunt this fall. We will using two Solar 420 inflated rafts for the hunt. One boat will have a 25hp jet and the other 20hp jet. We are both new to inflatable jet boats. I've done alot research but having a difficult time with a few items.

1. Im trying to calculate our gas consumption per boat. We will be traveling on smaller creeks/rivers. The rafts will have a decent load weight of around 600 to 650lbs each. Anyone have 1st hand experience with something similar? Im needing to know the miles per gallon for each motor/boat? I have a guess but would really like 1st hand knowledge.

Thanks for the help!!

Some people might be able to help ya but if I was you I would go run a smaller river for a day this summer and you can get a good idea on your fuel consumption. <br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk<br/><br/>
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

How far are you planning on going up river? How much will you use the boats goofing around?

I have played the game of having enough gas a bunch with bigger boats. Knowing your burn rate is important, but it is variable depending on what you are doing. Do you bring enough gas to get there and back, or bring all the gas you can and be careful? When you find out what your average burn rate going upstream loaded in one of those boats, post it. It will be interesting to know. Would also like to know how the Solar boats compare to the the Jet Ranger boats performance.

Comment

In my experience, no one will be able to tell you. There are so many variables like; current, load, depth and how much the river meanders (IE. how much time will be spent on step, cruising as apposed to maneuvering tight turns).

My suggestion would be take a practice run up the same river with similar loads. Since you are doing that, use the trip to haul and cash fuel in good locations. Also, use the trip to scout good glassing and camping spots.

Comment

The old adage is multiply the engine HP by 0.1 and that will give you the max fuel burn per hour WOT (E.g., the 25 will burn 2.5 GPH at WOT.). You can do the math from there.
          Note to self: Don't argue with idiots, it just beings you down to their level where they overwhelm you with their more extensive experience in being an idiot.... and, you can't fix stupid!

Comment

Thats interesting because I had calculated 2 gallons per hour. Ill definitely do some testing on a few rivers but it will not be full loaded.

We thinking about boating to a lake about 35 miles form the river and setting up camp. From there I was planning on motoring up its feeder creek about 3 to 8 miles to access advantage points to glass and call. My real question is will the boating up the feeder each morning and evening spoke to many moose over a week?

Comment

When you are doing your test you should get some white plastic 15-30gal barrels or other containers. Fill them with water to use as a more accurate measure of load testing. Water weighs about 8lbs per gal, by using barrels and a small electric bilge pump, you can precisely measure load capacity and fuel burn. That will help you with your gear planning too. Depending on how far you plan to travel to your hunting area will determine how much gear vs fuel to bring. If you are close enough to make two trips back to the truck then it won't matter as much. But, if you are on a long range trip and you can't haul out your gear and the moose in one load you will have to make some difficult choices.

Comment

The guys at Wooldrige have several load testing videos on their website that explain their methodology. Just a suggestion for reference.

Comment

I'll go check out the videos this weekend thanks!!

Im debating over two areas. One area is around 35miles from launch site but the area is flatter and cloer to a town The other would be 100miles away from the town and be in mtn/area where gassing could be done. I'm really torn lol

Comment

You can get pretty close.

2.5 gal/hr. About 15mph up river with those little jets, about the same down since you have to go so slow on downstream to keep from hitting stuff. That is 6 miles to the gallon.
                    100 miles there, 100 miles back. 50 miles goofing around so 250 miles divided by 6 miles per gallon is about 40 gallons per boat. Gas is about 6 pounds per gallon so around 240 pounds of gas.

Each boat can take about 700 pounds? 200 pounds of human, 100 pounds of gear and 250 (rounded up) pounds of gas is 450 pounds. Easy. You can bring a ton of gas.

The return trip is the hard part. A moose will weigh 500-700 pounds. Say 600. 200 pounds of human, 100 pounds of gear, and maybe 20 gal gas to get home for 120 pounds. Total 1020 pounds. Not sure you will be on step with a little 25hp jet, if you need to be. Sound to me the limiting factor is if you take one or two moose with your two boats and not how much gas you can bring.

I put all of this on a spread sheet and play with numbers to see where I can add or subtract weight without hitting the calculator every time.

I do this almost every year for our Yukon Trip. You can never use the gas you left behind. Alway bring as much gas and use as much horsepower as you can.

Comment

Soooooo.... after thinking about my last post, I got to thinking about where you might go 100 or more miles one way and it sound like the Yukon to me. Where are you going to put in? Weight and gas considerations are much different on that big of a River. I carry WAY more on that river than say on the Copper or Susitna rivers. You can be pretty stupid heavy and barge a load down stream. There are also strategies to stash gas or buy gas in villages. And, there are any bull areas, so you might luck out and shoot a little one. You will fill up two boats for sure regardless with one moose. It is an interesting thought process on how to do that in a little raft with 25hp. You can get into some places and see country that a lot of folks will blow by I bet. Hard core!

Comment

David is there a way to send a pm?

Comment

Our boats are rated for 1000lbs but I'm using 800lbs to be safe. Your calculations are right with mine so I must be ok at math and research. Lol. I figured we couldn't get the 2 moose or even 1 with all our gear and fuel back to drop-off point. My plan is after we kill our 1st moose run it back to our drop off location and take care of the meat. Then fill up with fuel and head back to town.

One problem I see with carrying a ton of fuel is not the weight but placing it in the boat. Its going to be difficult to have 10. 5 gallon cans in a boat plus all the gear.

Not a bad idea to stash gas for the way back to lighten the load in.

Comment

I think there is a magic number of posts or time on the forum before you can PM people. I tried to PM you, no joy.

Stack up 15gal barrels instead of the 5 gal. They travel way better and can be laid on there side in the bottom of the boat. Can be use for floatation like an outrigger to give maybe some increased weight carrying ability if you are going to barge down a couple moose, a thought. Get or make an extra long shaker for them though. The standard ones are not long enough. Take 4 barrels and your running tank and there is no way you will run out of gas.

HA HA you will not over load the boat. Guaranteed you will have 1200# in that thing this year. Only reason you won't have more is because it will sink. Hope you can return to your rig downstream.

Comment

Those are pretty small motors. Have you tried them on your boats? I have the 450 with a 40hp jet and it’s not too big.
                              Wasilla Real Estate News
                              www.valleymarket.com

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X