Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haul Road Bicycle Hunt

Hi All,
    I'm throwing the idea around of a bike hunt for caribou up north. I didn't score any tags this year, so I was eyeing up north. Is that possible? Are there any trails to ride on or could you manage on the terrain? I've never been up there, so I'm not sure. I've got a well equipped bike and about to get a trailer for it. I can easily cover many, many miles with it. Has anyone ever done this? I'd be with a partner or two, not solo. Thanks!

I've only hunted caribou up there twice, but I am fairly certain there are absolutely no trails up there that can take you five miles off the road. If you're bowhunting you can use your bike to travel the highway or maybe the pipeline access road (not sure about the legality of that), but if you're looking to get five miles out to use a rifle, I think you're out of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
      I've only hunted caribou up there twice, but I am fairly certain there are absolutely no trails up there that can take you five miles off the road. If you're bowhunting you can use your bike to travel the highway or maybe the pipeline access road (not sure about the legality of that), but if you're looking to get five miles out to use a rifle, I think you're out of luck.
      <br/><br/>Thatís why I was afraid of. Iíve never been up there, so I wasnít sure. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've only seen a bike once. He was off of Sheep Mountain (1 mile trail). As Brian said pipeline access and that is about it. I would not even bother.

Patriot Life Member NRA
        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
        Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

No trails and riding over tussock tundra would be pretty neat impossible. Ive spent weeks of every summer for a decade hiking around that area and I don't think this is a reasonable idea. But a motivated guy might make it work if he picked just the right route.

Comment

no sir. abandon that plan. rocks on the road alone are too big and loose to keep your teeth tight in your head. And a truck at speed could easily drive a flyer into your skull. And thats just the road conditions. Tundra is no place for a bike.
            https://pristineventures.com

Comment

Riding a bike on the haul road itself would not be advisable. As others have said, the truckers are moving pretty fast and unforgiving. Don't hold it against them, they are just doing their job. But I think the idea of riding a bike on the pipeline might be doable. It's been a few years since I've been up there, but I've hiked a lot of miles on those pipeline trails and I don't recall them being very rough. I'd say try it out and give us a report on how it worked out for you. It's not a bad idea in my opinion. But biking the tundra is an absolute no no. First of all I don't even think it's legal and secondly, it wouldn't even work with all those hummocks and potholes. Your best bet is to just get out and walk unless you are on the pipeline trails. Not sure about the legality but I don't anyone would even call you out on it.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X